Moved from BT to Talk Talk did I do the right thing?

Options
This past 6 months with BT has been lies and cockups so I said enough is enough and used the price increase as a get out clause, but even with that they have cocked up and charged £300 + £65 equipment early termination charge. They did all they could to put me off Talk Talk, saying about data breaches etc which I thought was rather dirty.

Anyway I was paying £34.99 for infinity 1 @ 52mb + £8 for anytime calls

With Talk Talk I'm paying £34.99 for 76mb which includes anytime calls.

What's your thoughts?

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2017 at 6:21PM
    Options
    n1guy wrote: »
    This past 6 months with BT has been lies and cockups so I said enough is enough and used the price increase as a get out clause, but even with that they have cocked up and charged £300 + £65 equipment early termination charge. They did all they could to put me off Talk Talk, saying about data breaches etc which I thought was rather dirty.

Anyway I was paying £34.99 for infinity 1 @ 52mb + £8 for anytime calls

With Talk Talk I'm paying £34.99 for 76mb which includes anytime calls.

What's your thoughts?

Why it's true.

Anyway cart, horse. You should have asked before moving and also listened to BT. BT are currently increasing Infinity 1 to 76Mb. Avoid TT.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When you asked to cancel as per the email letter you should have had a better offer from BT .
    If you just moved without giving BT the notice re price increase then yes you break the contract .But if you did do it the correct way contact BT complaints .
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Why it's true.

Anyway cart, horse. You should have asked before moving and also listened to BT. BT are currently increasing Infinity 1 to 76Mb. Avoid TT.

Oh I know been lied to about that. Some agents say I already have it even though the router says 55/10, then others promised me I'll have it before end of November. Well never got it. My line can handle 80+ mb btw
  • n1guy
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    When you asked to cancel as per the email letter you should have had a better offer from BT .
    If you just moved without giving BT the notice re price increase then yes you break the contract .But if you did do it the correct way contact BT complaints .

I did get a better offer, well could you call it that? They said they would upgrade my speed before the end of November and freeze any future price rises for 18 months. They didn't reduce the price any. And as above didn't increase the speed either.

Oh I told them the reason I was leaving, due to the price increases, I phoned and told them again. They say its a system error I should not have received that notice but I dare say come the next billing cycle I am in for another fight, I have the call recorded though.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Today 12 am .
    I am now paying this BB Infinity 1 and Line Rental as same as current price for 18 months . So no price rise .
    My TV no price rise .
    BT Sport 12 months discount £1.75.
    HD current free component will cost more in 6 months but free to cancel that as its a monthly add on .
    Cost about £5 pm month less than current as opposed to the price rises .
    So BT have raised the prices but lowered mine .Just like they did for the last two price rises .
  • n1guy
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Today 12 am .
    I am now paying this BB Infinity 1 and Line Rental as same as current price for 18 months . So no price rise .
    My TV no price rise .
    BT Sport 12 months discount £1.75.
    HD current free component will cost more in 6 months but free to cancel that as its a monthly add on .
    Cost about £5 pm month less than current as opposed to the price rises .
    So BT have raised the prices but lowered mine .Just like they did for the last two price rises .

Well they wouldn't budge with me, they didn't want me to leave obviously but all they could offer was a guarantee no more price rises for 18 months and a speed boost which didn't happen.
  • whiteslice
    Options
    Pretty much always a good idea to change providers regularly. If you get a good deal + cashback, then leave at the next price increase...well, let's just say my internet over the last contract has been almost free and I even made a profit from my previous contract.
  • n1guy
    Options
    Yeah getting £85 cash back through Quidco for the switch
  • n1guy
    Options
    Thought I would update this folks. Turns out the reports where true. Talk Talk are a nightmare.

I switched on Wednesday, 76mb download via ethernet, fantastic. Wireless tells a different story, it maxes out at 20mb, even when you are stood beside the router. I have been on the phone several times a day since and am getting no where, they don't have a clue and each and every time you phone you have to go over the same script which ends in turn it off for 30 mins and try again, that translates to "I don't know what else to do so just turn it off"

If you Google HG633 Wireless you will find pages upon pages of complaints and issues with wireless on this Router yet TalkTalk won't admit its crap and not fit for purpose.

I'm in my 20 day cooling off period so I am out of there.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be interested in how you get on regarding the 20 day cooling off period, I'd always thought that was a period from raising the order rather than from when the service starts, plus , in your case the speed is OK via an Ethernet cable, it's just the useless wireless performance of the router they supply...is the cash back from Quidco dependent on staying with TT ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure