The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ‘Pseudo’ (for want of a better word) because quoting an interest rate of 1.35% and the term ‘instant access to your cash’ when used in the same sentence are incompatible, IMHO;…if you want ‘easy access’ to your cash then the interest rate of 1.35% is not available for the cash you’ve withdrawn;…it is in fact a miserly 0.55% !

You need to make a 12 month commitment to get the ‘full’ 1.35% interest rate,… at which point 'instant access' becomes a purely academic term.

Is that correct?....I’m not an expert btw;…please feel free to dissect/correct anything I’ve posted.

My understanding is probably awry,…it often is! :)

Interest due is not "your cash" until the interest-bearing term has completed. Tesco make it quite clear what the terms are.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    You need to make a 12 month commitment to get the ‘full’ 1.35% interest rate,… at which point 'instant access' becomes a purely academic term.

I think you've interpreted as you'll only get the bonus rate if the money is in the account for the full year. There are no conditions attached to the bonus rate; you get it regardless of how long money is in the account. It is simply a way of them offering a higher interest rate for a limited period.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,049 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No

You may not appreciate how interest works

Imagine you opened a bog standard savings account at 1% per annum and put £10,000 into it. The interest is calculated daily so you would get about 27.4 pence a day. After a year you would get about £100. If you removed your cash (instantly) after 6 months you would get about £50. Both of these amounts are correctly calculated at 1.35% per annum

Tesco only differs in that it splits the rates to allow part of it to be paid as a bonus for a year
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    clivep wrote: »
    Just tried logging in and opening one and get the error "Sorry, we’ve not been able to continue your application online. Please try again or contact us".

I only currently have 1 Internet Saver and 1 Instant Access so don't know why it's rejecting it. I couldn't open a new one in joint names either. Maybe I'll try tomorrow without logging into my account first... means entering lots more detail but it may work.

Still getting the error today. Tried without logging in and also got the error.

Telephoned and was able to open OK. Advisor said that I would need to wait until Friday to open if I wanted the higher rate! Told her this wasn't correct and read out details from http://www.tescobank.com/savings/flexible/internet-saver/index.html?cmpid=agg/acq/sv/is/Is Suggested she checked with her manager. Came back confirming that I was correct and that she had not been correctly informed.
  • The_Big_Bamboo
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    I think you've interpreted as you'll only get the bonus rate if the money is in the account for the full year. There are no conditions attached to the bonus rate; you get it regardless of how long money is in the account. It is simply a way of them offering a higher interest rate for a limited period.
    ColdIron wrote: »
    No

You may not appreciate how interest works

Imagine you opened a bog standard savings account at 1% per annum and put £10,000 into it. The interest is calculated daily so you would get about 27.4 pence a day. After a year you would get about £100. If you removed your cash (instantly) after 6 months you would get about £50. Both of these amounts are correctly calculated at 1.35% per annum

Tesco only differs in that it splits the rates to allow part of it to be paid as a bonus for a year
    Hi, many thanks for your detailed replies,…it’s really appreciated;… I know I didn’t explain myself properly but I do understand how daily/annual savings account interest rates are calculated;..I think!

I was totally confused by the terminology regarding the Bonus of 0.8%;…I mistakenly believed that it was only payable after 12 months,…when, in fact, it’s an integral part of the 1.35% interest calculation from day one!

Many thanks for clearing that up for me.:T As I said earlier, figures are not my ‘forte’. :o
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks for clearing that up for me. As I said earlier, figures are not my ‘forte’.

In which case also give the NatWest Savings Builder account a very wide berth ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • puttee
    puttee Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Do I understand correctly that on the 1st December or shortly thereafter the changes in savings rates offered after taking into account the BoE recent rate increase will have been announced by the various banks, building societies etc. As well as new interest rate offerings launched, if any, I guess?

I'm taking stock of my situation. So far I've been doing a lot of saving accounts and trying to transfer to get the best rates considering my risk averseness with savings. I've been thinking for some time that it may be the time to look into investing part of the money. I read Smart Investing by Hale some time ago as was recommended by someone. I'm not dim but I did find it a bit intimidating. I plan on re-reading it with more focus shortly. Is there anything a bit simpler that that I can read in preparation?
  • dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    puttee wrote: »
    Do I understand correctly that on the 1st December or shortly thereafter the changes in savings rates offered after taking into account the BoE recent rate increase will have been announced by the various banks, building societies etc. As well as new interest rate offerings launched, if any, I guess?

Around 1st December does seem to be the date that some banks are increasing their rates. Perhaps one of the challenger banks will offer a rate slightly higher than Tesco's 1.35% after that date but who knows...
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    puttee wrote: »
    I read Smart Investing by Hale some time ago as was recommended by someone. I'm not dim but I did find it a bit intimidating. I plan on re-reading it with more focus shortly. Is there anything a bit simpler that that I can read in preparation?
    The Monevator financial blog is a good starting point to understand investing. Unfortunately, it's a blog, so the articles are in a somewhat random order, but there are various indexes and menus to help.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • fryedslyce
    Options
    dekkard wrote: »
    Around 1st December does seem to be the date that some banks are increasing their rates. Perhaps one of the challenger banks will offer a rate slightly higher than Tesco's 1.35% after that date but who knows...

Paragon will go to 1.40% on 01/12/17
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure