IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NEW!! Gladstones Letter of Claim!! URGENT PLZ!

Hello All,
Parking charge date: Feb 2017
I received a country court claim form from Gladstone Solicitors on the 04th OCT 2017.
The story; there is parking place close to my uni, one day I asked the (owner or the person seems to be taking care of the property) “is it ok to park here as I’m coming 2 days a week?” He said yes you can but do not let everyone know about this matter. So I have been parking around a month time with no problem, suddenly, one day I got a ticket from DRP. I asked my friend, he said overnight they put new signs I forgot to tell you. I ignored this for couple of weeks then found out the owner or the management is changed. I received some letters which I did not response. One day I did some research and found DO NOT IGNORE! Call them and tell them so I call DRP and told them I am not paying this parking ticket also there has been an address change as well. However, I did not mention who was driving the car. I used to stay in Brighton my friends place like a holiday as for the summer break, didn’t often came to London so lots of letters got binned by my mom.
On 02/06/2017, Luckily I get to open, Last letter from DRP final chance to pay; we refer our client to take court action or last chance to pay £149.00.
On 04/10/2017, I got a claim form asking me to pay total of 241.81
!!!! In the defendant section; it says claimant claims: £160.00 for parking charge! Originally it was £149.00
Also says interest of £6.81 continuing to judgment at £0.04 per day
So the total amount clamed = £166.81, court fee £25.00 + legal rep cost = 50.00
Total of 241.81, my point is the original amount was £149.00 but they are calming £160.00.
What I did so far?
I went to the property spoke to the receptionist explained her and got a confirmation that the owner has changed in recording.
How to I proceed with this? I want to avoid CCJ! Should I respond to the claim form immediately? Can this settled without going to court? If goes any chance of winning?

Thank you
Sam

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    please read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread

do the AOS online as detailed in the BARGEPOLE link

dont write in the defence box at all

then draft you defence and post it here for critique

read a dozen or more similar RECENT court case threads to get the idea

its a long way from court yet , they havent paid the court filing fee yet

if you lose, pay up IN FULL within 28 days , no CCJ
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Everyone is politely asked not to start a new thread till reading the FAQ thread near the top of the forum

In particular for you #2 advises what to do when faced with a claim from court
  • Thank you, i have done my Acknowledgement online, do you know how many days i have for my defense? looking at my case any suggestion ? im really stuck with my final year project at uni, anyone can help would be grateful.

Thank you in Advanced!
  • Redx
    edited 12 October 2017 at 3:34PM
    all explained in the MCOL website details and on your form etc

it extends the number of days by doubling it from the 14 days on the form to 28 days to submit your defence (from the date on that form, it starts some 5 days after posting I believe)

so you have until the end of this month or thereabouts

the NEWBIES THREAD post #2 also gives you valuable info

so given that you are a uni student you should know how to do research and how to search forums and read factual info and advice

cribbing from previous work is always a good idea, plagiarism, so dont worry about copying from others on here, it is expected that you do so

we wont draft it for you, that is your job

our job is to tell you where to find the info (google search being one obvious choice) and to comment on what YOU write on here
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sam7861 wrote: »
    Thank you, i have done my Acknowledgement online, do you know how many days i have for my defense?
    The word is defence.

Did you read the Bargepole thread that Redx pointed you towards?

In there you would've seen:
    2. You should now Acknowledge Service of the claim, ticking the box that says you will defend in full. Do NOT put anything in the 'Defence and Counterclaim' text box, not even a full stop. By doing this, you have extended the time to submit a defence to 28 days from date of service, which is the date printed on the claim form plus 5 days. Now it's time to burn the midnight oil, and research relevant defences on these forums. Only look at recent stuff, and don't just blindly cut and paste text, you must adapt it so that it's relevant to your claim.
  • Redx
    thought so, so as above, already where you said you had looked (but havent LOOKED)

as for court claims , read this saga as it was a gladstones claim too (ES Parking)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5640401

started about 6 months ago, concluded today in court where the DEFENDANT won

you will see various arguments and defences posted and discussed, should give you an idea on what is involved and what parts of your defence should be

frankly, its almost a step by step guide through the whole but complicated process , where the claimant lost and claxtome WON
  • Thank you so much for all these tips, ill write a draft and post it here soon..

Cheers
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    sam7861 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for all these tips, ill write a draft and post it here soon..

Cheers

You also need to read just how incompetent Gladstones are

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=gladstones
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills