EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure?

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 February 2017 at 10:43PM
    Weekly update time:

Surveys:
    OnePoll £4.25 (Cash-out £40) £40 claimed 8/2/17
    PC £3
    Populus Live £20 (Cash-out £50)
    Opinion Outpost 145 points (previously cashed out on 25/1/17 £5)
    Power of opinions (Cashes out to vouchers at 1,000 points) 780 points
    YouGov 750 points (cashed out £50 at 5,000 points)

TCB: Nothing currently payable

No sign of the OnePoll money yet, but that's not much of a surprise as they're always slow to pay.

Checking the banking the DD for the Sainsbury's card went out on the 17th so I need to adjust my signature - pretty sure that takes me past 10% paid off though! :T

Food is all sorted for the week I think - had a rather lovely smoked duck salad, and I cooked up a pot of bolognese last night which needs portioning up but will then do a meal this week and one for the freezer too. Leftovers from yesterday's slow roast lamb will be chopped up and added to (probably) couscous with some salady bits to make a sort of moroccan salad, and there's chicken risotto for another day. We're away over the weekend from Friday so I only had 4 days to think of.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Morning! :wave:

Well half way through the week already - honestly, where DOES it fly to?

Surveys are ticking along. Annoyingly spent ages faffing on the phone doing a YouGov one the other night only to find out at the end that it paid a draw entry, rather than actual points. :mad: It was made clear in the email but not on the app, so I need to remember that.

Dinner last night was LUSH - I was reminded of it as I made a reference on Greying's thread to a lot of our meals coming under the heading of being "concoctions" rather than actual recipes - and last night was a case in point. The leftover lamb breast from Sunday, cut into bite sized pieces and fried in a dry pan along with the crumb topping I made for it on sunday. Then the remainder of the bag of kale lobbed in and stir-fried to wilting. The spices and seasoning from the lamb were just enough to "carry" the dish, and once off the heat I threw in the remainder of the cucumber, cut into cubes, and a few chopped up fresh tomatoes. The whole lot was mixed together with couscous and topped off with toasted pumpkin seeds. T.A.S.T.Y - but NOT anything photo worthy. (Or I was too keen to eat it to wait and photograph it - you decide!) :D

Tonight is easy-peasy - bolognese all prepped and ready and just needing heated up and pasta cooked. Wednesday nights are made for simple easy fix dinners. :T

MrEH did his bank transfer for the CC yesterday so the money shuffle for that is all done and dusted - and yes campers we do indeed have a surplus in the joint account. :T Need to decide whether to transfer it straight to savings, or wait and see what we spend as extras over the weekend in Cromer and decide from there where it's going. Hmmm. Either way it can stay where it is until payday anyway, "just in case". My own account also has a surplus - although I'll need to visit the cashpoint for the weekend yet. It's been a good month! :p

Still walking as much as I can cram in - today should be a good day for it weather permitting as MrEH and I are car-sharing. So a walk this morning, one at lunch, and a longer one tonight I think - today will be about fitting in some distance, rather than about pace. Mixing it up a bit like that seems to be working for me. Off the back of that, my work trousers are all now at that annoying point of being slightly too big - but not enough so that the next size down will work. And NOT the style that can have a belt added really, either. Sigh. Good, but annoying!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • That's great about your annoying trousers! I had the same issue with my jeans - too big but can't fit into the next size down. Inexplicably my too big jeans now fit again and I have no hope of getting into the next size down... :eek:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,693 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ooh, good (if annoying) trouser news :D excellent walking progress too! :j
  • Double surplus is very nice indeed!

Glad you had a great time at the beer festi, I love a beer festi but think where I live they season is summer/autumn, always a great way to spend time with friends :)
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Scott_Weiland_2 Posts: 799 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2017 at 11:09AM
    Keep plodding on with yougov you will get there?
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    You Gov drives me to distraction :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Hey Cheery, Angel, Scott & Beanie - thanks for popping by! YouGov's not too bad at the moment - aside from the surveys on the phone which I'm not doing any more I don't think - they're bloomin' tedious! :D

Anyway - a bit of spending to declare. And it's on CLOTHES! :eek: Popped to Matalan at lunchtime - largely because I wanted to see if they had any trousers for work to replace the current collapsing pairs - they hadn't, but I did have a general browse as well and came out with 2 tops - one sage green, the other black (the second one is suitable for work which is handy as I have some rather "tired" looking black ones currently. Also found, tried on and fell in love with a gorgeous slouchy chunky knit hoodie style top - which I'm hoping will look ace with jeans. As my wardrobe is desperately in need of an update I didn't flinch at the £25 price tag - just have to hope it washes OK. £32 spent in total - and I've now got slightly more confidence about finding things that work for me so I might use some of my spare time on saturday on having a browse around, too.
    she/her
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Essex, have you thought about dyeing the clothes back to black - I do this and it really revives old clothes. Black Dylon for the washing machine I can usually find in Wilkinsons and its amazing the difference it makes. That said a bit of clothes shopping is worth it if it gives you a confidence boost :)
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • I did think about it Angel, but decided against for a couple of reasons. MrEH gets somewhat twitchy about dye going through the machine as he's petrified it will affect his white work shirts the next time he washes them - and although I've never had ANY issues like that with machine dye, it makes me a bit nervous too! The second was that the tops concerned were cheap when bought, they're literally just stretchy t-shirt style ones and I'm not honestly convinced they're worth it bearing in mind the wear I've had from them. I've done it before with Jeans though - works a treat! :T

Really tasty risotto for dinner tonight - threw in some peas and some broad beans (both frozen) to up the veg content a bit, along with the usual onion and mushroom. Just lovely!
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills