Car hire - alicante,spain

13»

Comments

• :) Thank you to all for your responses to my post.

Unfortunately we will not be going to the Villa in June now as we could not get any cheap flights, we shall be going in September instead.

After checking double & triple checking for flights there is only a small handful and not able to find many discount codes to be used.

This time round our short break works out to be £400 cheaper doing an All Inclusive holiday.
    This is putting into account the whole cost
    Flights, car hire, fuel, food & drink.

It’s nice to know that there are still options to get around from being stung by these guys and I hope this thread also helps many others.

Thank You and enjoy your holidays !!!129303;

Regards,
    B-M
  • pe567567567
    pe567567567 Posts: 11 Forumite
    As I have said previously, I am a long time and regular user of car hire companies. This timeI went through Wiber car hire and have had the best service ever. Took the full insurance and it was quite reasonable.

PLEASE BE AWARE...The trend of Keying hire cars seems to have returned to Alicante/Torrieveija area. Mine was keyed out in the country not far from Alicante. When I picked the car up it had only been hired once before and the bonnet was badly keyed. When I had it the whole of the passenger side was keyed whilst we were having lunch. Hire company said it is a regular occurrence again. In the past the first thing people would do is to remove the car hire company sticker, however, if you read most company's Ts&Cs they will fine you if this is removed €50 from one of them!

I would strongly suggest you take the full insurance. McCoys are another reasonable price company for full insurance.
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    As a follow up from my earlier post - I've now returned from my holiday in the Alicante area.

The car hire cost me just under £150 for a group D car for a week (we ended up with a new Fiat Tipo 1.4) including full insurance. This was booked directly on Goldcar's website last November.

We also had Key 'n' Go so just had to scan our voucher on a sort of vending machine, enter my date of birth and pick the car we wanted from a choice of 3 - we didn't even have to swipe a credit card.

I had the keys in my hand within a couple of minutes of arriving at their desk in the airport & we were driving away within 15 minutes.

When dropping the car back off we just had to park it & hand over the keys.

All in all, nice and easy with no drama.

Yes - I could probably have saved about £50 by booking though a car hire broker and taking out my own excess insurance policy but the last thing you want after a nice relaxing holiday is the stress of having to keep an eye on your credit card/ make a claim on insurance.

I'd be more than happy to use Goldcar in the future (particularly with the Key 'n' Go option).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure