Paragon ID verification sources

When my 18 year old son's Junior Savings account on beneficial interest rates ended, I encouraged him to look for the best rate.

He found Paragon and tried to open and account with them, but stalled when it came to verifying his ID. They would only accept a lot of agents who charge (solicitors, doctors etc) OR an optician, BUT NOT Head Teachers who have known him for 7 years and are ideally placed?? Help Desk said it was a HO decision and HO didn't respond apart from "thanks for your feedback".

Why turn off young savers in this way?

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The Post Office provide a document certification service for £10.50. You can reuse the certificate, so not a bad deal

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/document-certification-service
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    RNP wrote: »
    When my 18 year old son's Junior Savings account on beneficial interest rates ended, I encouraged him to look for the best rate.

He found Paragon and tried to open and account with them, but stalled when it came to verifying his ID. They would only accept a lot of agents who charge (solicitors, doctors etc) OR an optician, BUT NOT Head Teachers who have known him for 7 years and are ideally placed?? Help Desk said it was a HO decision and HO didn't respond apart from "thanks for your feedback".

Why turn off young savers in this way?
    There was no need to pursue anyone about this, as their documentation verification requirements are clearly spelt out on their website at https://www.paragonbank.co.uk/faq:
    Who can certify my identity documents?

We may ask you to send us identification documents for security and fraud prevention. Documents you send to us need to be original or certified copies. However, we recommend that you send certified copies. A number of professional persons and organisations can certify your documents such as the post office or a professional such as a solicitor or an accountant.

Below is a full list of all acceptable certifiers. Every page should be certified and you must provide contact details, address and telephone number for the person certifying your documents as we may need to contact them. If sending originals of important documents such as passports, licences and identity documents, please use registered post. We’ll return all original documents we receive.

Accountant
    Bank/ building society official
    Barrister
    Commissioner for oaths
    Dentist
    Doctor
    Financial services intermediary, e.g a stock broker or insurance broker
    Justice of peace
    Member of Parliament
    Minister of a recognised religion
    Optician
    Paralegal – certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
    Police officer
    Post Office Document Checking Service
    Solicitor
    Surveyor
    Operating in a heavily-regulated environment, it's hardly surprising that this sort of thing isn't negotiable, so if compliance with Paragon's published terms is an issue then don't expect them to change them for you! And just in case it wasn't clear, document certification isn't related to knowledge of the person, it's simply confirming that a copy is the same as the original document - I can see the argument that a head teacher ought to be on that list by virtue of 'respectability' but personal knowledge isn't relevant here....
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Solicitors offices certify documents for £5 (goes to charity). Larger firms you can usually walk in off the street. A junior solicitor then performs the task. Easy peasey. Takes minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure