2»

Comments

• WSforever
    WSforever Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Brilliant news, thanks for the advice and all responses
  • roxxyx
    roxxyx Posts: 22 Forumite
    Can anyone explain what happens to tax please when you are both self employed and employed through PAYE.

I earn more than the threshold with my employed work, therefore, I am taxed.

However, in the same year which was my first year in a business I made a loss due to training costs.

I assumed both would be added together which takes me under the threshold for having to be taxed. So I assumed I would get my tax refunded.

It seems this is not the case. Everytime I call the tax office and go through the automated system it keeps cutting me off, and the webchat couldn't help me.

Can anyone explain what actually happens? If we owe tax we know about it quickly.., however, now I've overpaid it seems I cannot get it back and any losses will be taken off my income the next tax year...

:(
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I used to have to do an online self assessment form for my self employment.

They did try to claim I owed national insurance but like you with no profit and NI paid elsewhere I got that sorted
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Hi all,
    I have had a bit of a look around, and hope that this is the best board to post to with my query.

I am a full time student, but have worked part time as an online English teacher for the last three years in order to earn a little alongside my studies. I am registered as self employed with HMRC and file an annual tax return (have never had to pay tax, as I’m always well under the threshold, since my main occupation is being a student!) However, I have been considering a second source of income this summer, and am interested in Take Note (an online transcription service) to help boost my paycheque.

I’m wondering what this will require of me in terms of HMRC. Will I need to register again as self employed? Will I need to edit my current self employment status to indicate two sources of income? Is it worth the hassle?

Tips and advice very welcome!
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    No, just roll it all into one. So long as you keep good records of your income (and any expenses), and are just acting as a self employed sole trader, you only need to file one tax return. I seem to remember that there is a section that asks what your occupation is, but I doubt HMRC pay any attention to it other than possibly for statistical purposes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure