2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No spend day for me :) we went to toddler group this morning and I managed to get the slow cooker on before we left. We had rustic lamb stew with crusty bread, I don’t cook lamb much as it is quite expensive and not my favourite but I do love it slow cooked. Off to work tonight so I need to try and resist eating rubbish tomorrow when I’m feeling low, we have left over soup in the fridge so will make myself eat it tomorrow with the small one and hope for another NSD :)
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 10:48PM
    An unplanned day today , because my dd has been ill . so its been all hands on deck to help her , I started the day by walking my 5 year old gd to school . so free exersize,,,,,,,wombled along the way but didn't find anything ,,,, picked her up after school and treated her to a Mc Donalds , I had a free coffee. so a small spend ,dd a lot better now after much needed sleep , Got a phone call from an overseas friend , to say she'd booked to come over to stay with us for 3 weeks 19th July . ( She comes every year ,,,has done for over 20 years so shes like family ) so my main frugal aim this year , is ,,,, £70 is our normal food budget for the week ( for 2 adults , but we get a lot of family strays drop in and get fed too ) but I end up paying for allsorts out of it , ( Meals out etc too ) but me and my friend take off for a couple of weeks travelling around when she comes , ( Cornwall and London for us this year ) . so my aim is to be as frugal as possible , and anything left out the £70 is going into a separate pot , and hopefuly ill have enough to pay for all the hotel costs this year and surprise her . I make my biggest money savings on food , I cook most things from scratch , batch cook a lot and can make a meal out of most things , Remember the meat I got from the dinner yesterday ,,,,,,its made umpteen meals already , cooked dinners / sandwiches/ and im batch cooking beef curry as I speak ( or type ) A friend told me she makes it with Mayflower Curry Mix , so I gave it a go Its only £1 a tub ( Like gravy granules) from B&M /. Homebargains . and its delicious , so nice that I decided to use more of the meat , and make another batch for the freezer , VERY easy recipe , just spray a pan add onions , courgettes, mushrooms , peppers , add the meat,,,,,,make up the curry mix and add that ,,,,,,and its done , It really is nice , and ill use it with rice , or on a jacket potatoe , or with chips etc , We wont have transport when away , and have to rely on public transport to get around , so any left over money will be put towards travel costs. My biggest expenditure ( For me ) believe it or not is postage stamps . My hobby is penpalling , I love to see a letter from a friend come though my letterbox , but postage is so high now , that its killing my hobby. So im always looking at ways to earn money to buy stamps . The postman helped me this morning , as he delivered 2 letters and neither stamp had been franked , so ill re use them //////yayy a freebie
  • Have you heard of the Royal Mail Survey? If you have access to a computer /Internet on your phone, you can get free stamps every month! To do this, you have to register & record mail sent to you & things for you to post (most have stamps on the envelope, bit if it's a small box, you get reimbursed with Love to Shop vouchers). You do this for a 6 month period, often with a choice to continue. You also get chance to do the unaddressed mail survey, which lasts for 2-3 weeks & you receive a £5 Love to Shop voucher at the end. The free stamps you receive each month is a book of 4 large letter 1st class stamps & one book of 12 1st class stamps, so great to stock up for sending Christmas cards or posting items on Ebay, as they cost you nothing! Would be useful for your penal letters too!!
    Use it up, wear it out
    Make do or do without!

If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours 😃

⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Moll
    edited 9 January 2018 at 11:58PM
    Have you heard of the Royal Mail Survey?

Thankyou Thrifty Taylor , but im already a member of this , My 6 months has ended and all my stamps got used at Christmas , so a long time till I hopefully get added in again , around july/ august time, A shame I don't know anyone doing the survey and could maybe exchange with them for something they wanted , ( crafts etc ? )
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Moll wrote: »
    The postman helped me this morning , as he delivered 2 letters and neither stamp had been franked , so ill re use them //////yayy a freebie
    Which means that your postman isn't doing his job properly. If we get to a house with unfranked mail we're supposed to draw a line through the stamp in pen to stop it being reused.

Reusing them has always been theft in my eyes (you're using a service you've not paid for), and causes the price of postage for everyone else to go up (the same way stealing from a supermarket pushes up the prices of shopping for everyone else). But I hate it even more now as it impacts my salary. Yes, I work for Royal Mail.

Climbs down off soapbox.
    Cheryl
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I did see several colleagues listing the Christmas Card and stamps we get from RM every year on eBay. They were selling for less than the face value of the stamps so I didn't list mine, but it could be worth looking for those. I now have 2 years worth of stamps (50 a year) totally unused as I use about 6 stamps a year and already had loads in stock.
    Cheryl
  • Moll
    cw18 wrote: »
    Which means that your postman isn't doing his job properly. If we get to a house with unfranked mail we're supposed to draw a line through the stamp in pen to stop it being reused.

Reusing them has always been theft in my eyes

Climbs down off soapbox.

Very sorry if ive offended you cw18 , that wasn't my intention , and im sure our postmen do thier job properly , I live in a rural place where we all know each other. and help each other , Our post people are lovely and have often said im keeping them in a job with the amount of post I have and send , and from previous comments from postie my guess is that the unfranked stamp was put through the door deliberately to help me out .but I wont mention any savings like this again as don't want to upset anyone , Just thought id share my good fortune of a freebie that day xx
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    So today is look after Mum Day. Food shopping day, and also as it is my son’s birthday tomorrow we are going out for Lunch at one of the local pubs.

On the plus side I am happy that my shopping list is quite small.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • So, it turns out January is an expensive month in my world!
    This is when car tax renewal is, dogs and cats injections, and then my passport needed renewing before the end of the month AND my driving licence!

Still, am doing well with other stuff, food etc . Its knocked my saving ideas on the head though as obviously I hadn't planned ahead for these things! But I guess I guess I know now and can start a savings plan going forward.

I live very rurally in Scotland in the Cairngorms, so car use is high and of course can't just nip to Aldi and Lidl, they have to be planned trips in with something else.
    My cottage is small and rented but well insulated so cheap to heat and run thank goodness!

This forum is really helpful and inspiring .

Fizzyisbusy
  • Kerreh
    Kerreh Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I never knew about surveys until read some threads on the forums... £2.48 made in my lunch hour.. every little helps right :D
    Aim 1:12mth Emergency Fund -> £9440/£16152 (58%) Aim 2: Car kicks the bucket Fund -> £9915/£17000 (58%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure