What PPI claim company is best to use?

Options
2»

Comments

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nice to see all the helpful responses. There are times when companies might come in useful such as when you don't have the paperwork for old PPI potential claims or more complex issues.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Claims companies wouldn't be of any advantage in those cases either.

They still send the same letters that you do, but it takes longer to do it and it reduce your chances of success.
  • mrspoons
    mrspoons Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    after doing a bit more reading it appears I’ll get nothing anyway as I stopped taking any form of ppi over ten years ago and don’t have any paperwork for any of my credit from my older and stupider days.
  • kaybo69
    kaybo69 Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2017 at 10:24AM
    Options
    It's really not a lot of bother to claim yourself. I claimed on behalf of my Fiance and got her £12.5k from nowhere. It took about a month from first query to final payments. There were 3 loan accounts which she had paid PPI on. One loan for £20k had monthly premium of over £100. She had no idea what a waste of money that was at the time!
    All banks have got their own PPI complaints department who are obliged to tell you what PPI cover you had, when and what the premium was. They then have their own forms which you need to fill in.
    It really is worth doing it yourself, seriously!!
    Off the back of my success I've just been in touch with my own Natwest bank and they have also advised that I have paid out £2k in PPI as far back as 1999. I even spoke to someone on the phone yesterday to confirm the dates of the cover so that I can submit a claim, in fact the reason I am sat typing on this forum now is because I am to submit a claim using Martin Lewis's Resolver tool - search for it on this website.
  • MakeAChange_2
    Options
    do it yourself, iv just done mine with the guidance from this website, and it has been upheld (not sure what i have to come yet) but iv just won 6 cases by doing it myself, and i hardly understand anything about the complex bits and pieces.

I have a friend who i spoke to yesterday about it and she paid out 4grand to a company when she did hers a few years ago, ridiculous!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just to put it in perspective.

If someone employs a claims company, what they are paying for is 56p for a second class stamp for the company to send the same form, which the company will expect you to provide all the info for.

So you're still doing all the work yourself and giving them 10% at a bare mimimum.

56p is all the effort they spend on making your complaint.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • PLYSU
    PLYSU Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I have claimed lots of money for my mum/dad/brother/his girlfriend/my bezzie.

Sometimes I used a claims company, when appropriate. Like with the Clydesdale Bank/ Yorkshire Bank they were proven to be liars.

When dealing with this bank, I used Beat the Banks (they were staffed by ex-staff from the bank) and therefore sometimes using a claims company I thought was appropriate despite the fees.

With my Mums Debenhams/Evans I used JMP Partnership as they had success with Santander on a previous case.

With mum and dads Halifax mortgage, Barclaycard, MINT card and a couple of others, I was able to do this on my own.

I am not sure they "just stick a stamp" on something. My own experience is some of them have helped drive the PPI complaints forward.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PLYSU wrote: »
    I am not sure they "just stick a stamp" on something. My own experience is some of them have helped drive the PPI complaints forward.

Yes, they do.

How exactly did they drive something forward that is a defined procedure and EXACTLY THE SAME PROCESS that you would use?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure