PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks MunniMuncha and Florenceem. :D

Can anyone vouch for either of the Toad in the Hole recipes on the front page? I've never done it before, but I have an abundance of sausages in the fridge, so it is something which will be good to have on the meal plan in the near future.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh my days.....I just made muffins for the first time (I'm 42 so a bit of a late starter.....). I made Ms Lawsons jam doughnut muffins.....they are sooooo delicious. Just like a fresh cooked doughnut nommy nom nom.

They were our pudding - had another of her recipes for dinner - macaroni cheese from her Expre$$ book. I adding chopped bacon - delicious even if I say so myself :D

Went to MrT today and spent £31 of which £5 was the muffin tin and £14 on clothes for DS2 (another budget), rest on food.

Looking forward to trying some other muffin recipes - Florenceem what have you started :rotfl:
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,925 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ......... I know Florenceem, but at least I had an edible meal instead of throwing it all in the bin as the yp was flat, oily and rubbish, so for me 8 eggs is a cheaper option:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

What does TITH mean please?:o
    Toad in the Hole.
    What oven temp do you cook YP on - it is having the melted fat hot plus cooking in a 220c oven that makes them rise.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/300
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,925 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Oh my days.....I just made muffins for the first time (I'm 42 so a bit of a late starter.....). I made Ms Lawsons jam doughnut muffins.....they are sooooo delicious. Just like a fresh cooked doughnut nommy nom nom.

They were our pudding - had another of her recipes for dinner - macaroni cheese from her Expre$$ book. I adding chopped bacon - delicious even if I say so myself :D

Went to MrT today and spent £31 of which £5 was the muffin tin and £14 on clothes for DS2 (another budget), rest on food.

Looking forward to trying some other muffin recipes - Florenceem what have you started :rotfl:
    Yeah! :D Getting folks baking! :j
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/300
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
  • abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    Goodness me, i spend one day in the office and not working at home and the thread flys by. Small spend today of £2 for some apples & pears. As a full time working mum my baking day is Sunday afternoon. I also make a pan of soup then. Also have a bread maker which tends to be on every other day. Great device i even use it for pizza dough etc.
    Mrs F i made yorkie puddings last Sunday afternoon & i used two eggs for 8, i have 4 left in the freezer for this sundays lunch. The next time i make them i shall use your one egg recipe. Very cheap Sunday lunch this weekend as the joint we had last week was big enough to slice up and freeze. It will make 4 meals in total. Three roast meals & one cottage pie (bulked out with a few lentils & grated veg) Best wishes to all.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Coxy11 wrote: »

Are the jam doughnuts on page 1? If not please could you post it?

Cheers me dears.

Tea was lovely tonight. Had beef rogan josh and rice. As I had brought plain flour with me, I also whipped up a batch of chapatis too.
    We are on the way back home now. A day early but we are fed up of the leaky toilet. We are all a little OCD so the thought of stepping out of a shower onto a murky wet floor is a bit :eek: I miss my bath. :)

We have had 2 sunny days though so can't complain that much.

Have a nice evening all. :)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 May 2012 at 7:54PM
    Options
    Ok, so last night DH made a lovely curry with leftover chicken and told me he'd left enough meat for another meal tonight. So today I lift the foil off the plate to find . . . a chicken breast . . . no carcass:eek::eek:. Where does he think that yummy stock comes from!

But on a happier note I made some delicious banana and chocolate muffins. Those Jam donut muffins sound amazing Coxy, I'm going to have to find that recipe! :pUpdate: found it! Definitely making those tomorrow, thanks for that!:T
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Are the jam doughnuts on page 1? If not please could you post it?

Oooh get me, posting a recipe :D

These are from Nigellas Domestic Goddess book:

125ml milk
    85ml veg oil plus more for greasing
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    200g S.R. flour
    100g caster sugar
    12 teaspoons strawberry jam
    100g unsalted butter
    150 granulated sugar
    1 incredibly well-greased or silicon mini muffin pan

Preheat oven to 190C/Gas 5

Beat together the milk, oil, egg and vanilla extract. Stir this into the flour and caster sugar to combine (just): the lumps don't matter and if you overbeat the muffins will be tough.

Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan so that it's just under a third full. Add a dollop of jam - about the size of a fat broad bean - then top with more muffin mix.

Cook for 20 mins until the tops feel springy.

Melt the butter and lay the sugar out in a wide, shallow bowl. When the muffins are ready, carefully lift out of the pan, dip them in butter and roll in the granulated sugar.

Eat warm.

Mine is a 'normal' sized muffin pan, so the mixture made 9 full size and 3 half sized muffins. So delicious, but only for treats!!
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Now THAT sounds right up my street!!!!!!!

Nom nom nom.

Thanks so much for sharing:T
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Evening all.

2 NSDs in a row :)
    However, DD2 brought me some eggs home and I haven't paid her yet :D:o

Starting to get the hang of this using stuff up business. Made quorn spag bol for tea. I only used half a packet of frozen mince, 2 onions, a jar of Ragu pasta sauce which had just gone past its BB date, and 2 carrots diced, with half a pack of spaghetti for the 4 of us (all adults) There was still a portion of sauce left over for lunch tomorrow. Thanks Florenceem for reminding me about portion sizes :)

I had a bit of a baking session yesterday. I made 24 plain buns - smaller than muffins, and put a small dollop of water icing on the top and some 100's and 1000's on 12, and some jelly orange/lemon half moon shapes on the other 12. I also made 3 plain cakes - jam through one of them to take to church, butter icing on another for us, and the last one for the freezer! Then I made a batch of cheese scones from the BE-RO recipe book (minus mustard as we don't like it) Haven't bought any cake this month so far... Trouble is when I bake cakes myself they seem to disappear too quickly ;)

When I make Yorkshire Puds on a Sunday, I have a roasting tin and heat a small amount of oil in a very hot oven (220-230C) while I mix the following.
    I use a measuring cup.
    1 cup plain flour
    Pinch salt
    2 large free range eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 cup cold water

Put everything except water into a large bowl, beat well then add enough water to make a coating batter ( so that a spoon dipped into the mix comes out with a coating on it rather than a thick spoonful)

Pour into the now very hot tin/oil - it should sizzle as you pour it in, and cook for about 30 minutes. If your tin has sides of at least an inch - sorry 2.5cm (I still think in 'old money') your puds will rise better. :) We then cut it into 8 and have one piece with Sunday dinner and the other piece each on Monday with Left over Sunday dinner.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport