* Consumer Refund Service* What to do next.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    babyblooz wrote: »
    I am going to call in at the bank tomorrow and ask if they know how they got their details.
    No one at the Bank will know, so don't waste your time asking..

None of the banks have any affiliation with Claims Management Companies.

The likelihood is that the Claims Company simply picked one of the big seven lenders at random hoping for a possible bullseye.

Don't bother chasing this, I promise you will never get to the bottom of how they "identified" the particular bank your parent dallied with two decades ago..
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    They shouldn't be allowed to send out unsolicited stuff. It makes me so cross!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I suspect given the letter of authority that they did contact the CMC (or got cold called) and provided some details hence why they sent the letter
  • Jayceee
    Jayceee Posts: 13 Forumite
    I received a letter from Consumer Refund Service today, addressed to "The Occupier"

The letter was in an official-looking HMRC/DWP-style brown envelope with a line above the address window which stated: "FCA DEADLINE INFORMATION ENCLOSED."

When I opened the letter it was obvious that it's PPI junk mail. There isn't any mention anywhere of an FCA deadline.

In the recycling it went!

There are some that will think it's an official letter and that's not acceptable.
  • Crater
    Crater Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I had one of these this morning. They didn't have any details other than my name and address. I certainly have never contacted them, it's just "fishing". The Regulator they mention appears to be genuine, but this letter came in a brown envelope like a government one and seems to be trying to look "official" which I regard as dubious practice. AFAE, if you use their application form, you are basically telling them all your banks.
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just received such a letter this morning. I agree that the brown envelope is designed to look like an official Government one. Just another "ambulance chasing compo scam". Is all this stuff just another consequence of Thatcher's deindustrialisation of the North?
  • I have just received a letter from this Company, via my Mother in-law. Curiously I have never lived at her address or applied for anything at this address, so I am clueless to how they have my name and those address details. I know I didn't have PPI as I was too young to have credit when PPI was sold.
  • Nasqueron
    reeac wrote: »
    Just received such a letter this morning. I agree that the brown envelope is designed to look like an official Government one. Just another "ambulance chasing compo scam". Is all this stuff just another consequence of Thatcher's deindustrialisation of the North?

Holy tenuous attempt to crowbar Thatcher into something Batman!

No, Labour introduced the no win no fee suing culture in 1998 and they were warned in 1999 by their own commission that non-lawyer claims companies needed regulating and ignored the advice.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Holy tenuous attempt to crowbar Thatcher into something Batman!

No, Labour introduced the no win no fee suing culture in 1998 and they were warned in 1999 by their own commission that non-lawyer claims companies needed regulating and ignored the advice.

Agreed. And what's more she didn't deindustrialise the North, or anywhere else for that matter. The big decline in UK manufacturing took place under New Labour.

I don't really know why some people blame the poor woman for stuff that happened after she resigned in 1990. Perhaps they believe that she exercised some kind of mind control over Major and Blair.:)
  • Nasqueron
    antrobus wrote: »
    Agreed. And what's more she didn't deindustrialise the North, or anywhere else for that matter. The big decline in UK manufacturing took place under New Labour.

I don't really know why some people blame the poor woman for stuff that happened after she resigned in 1990. Perhaps they believe that she exercised some kind of mind control over Major and Blair.:)

At the risk of massively going off topic, Thatcher was effectively blamed for the end result of stuff that started long before her time. It is a fact for example that Labour in the governments of Wilson (twice) and Callaghan closed more coal pits and got rid of more mining jobs than Thatcher ever did. When she came in she gave British Coal heaps of money as they were running at a huge loss and even subsidised British industry to use coal power rather than gas. The end of British industry like cars and steel was as much a result of foreign countries being able to produce better, cheaper and with workers not on strike all the time. People forget Thatcher got in because the public were sick of the 3 day week, bodies going unburied etc as a result of unions effectively running the country. Undoubtedly she did plenty of negative things as well, one of her government ministers wanted to effectively shut Liverpool as part of a managed decline for example. Making difficult decisions for the long term is always hard but if you have a choice of chucking billions at the coal mines which were increasingly inefficient and not working while US/Australia open cast mines were cheaper and France/Germany were running their own subsidies for coal then you sometimes have to make that call
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure