Travelling On

Comments

• earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    What a lovely idea!
    I have a poster that I show to the kids

When things change, I will be happy X(cross)
    When I am happy, things will change (tick)

To try and get myself to be happy and grateful NOW (one of my weaknesses).

I've already told everyone here that we are re creating a holiday on our staycation this year!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 19 May 2018 at 3:25PM
    I really loved your post, Cheery Daff:T. Struck many chords with me;)

As a rural dweller for the past 40 years I have to say there are plenty of downsides to it:(. One of the main ones is, as you said, the need for a car and the worry that one or other of us might become incapacitated. Having to drive 7 miles to the nearest small shop in winter on narrow, twisty country lanes too narrow for 2 cars to pass without one pulling right over to the edge of a deep ditch can make the winter months a nightmare. It's extremely isolating as there is no community spirit here, no 'community as such, just isolated houses and farms dotted about. OH is 5 years older than me (and I'm an OAP myself) and whilst still active and very fit for his age he finds physical work in the huge garden takes it out of him nowadays. Paying for help is so expensive, that's if we could find anyone reliable to do the heavy work like pruning tall trees and trimming 8 foot high hedges. In fact all the exterior maintenance of house and garden is a real Forth Bridge painting challenge.

I love your idea of following the traditional country activities but from a safe distance so to speak. The person who came up with that was a wise woman:T. As are you too, Cheery, being able to do it whilst you lived in a city:T

Sorry about having a moan, I really came on here to announce a success:o. I went to a house sale this morning, well, not the house itself but the contents of it:rotfl:. They had a small attached business which is closing on retirement and I treated myself to the office's heavy duty paper shredder. It was only £20 and looks as good as new. I know the cheapest of this model is for sale online for £114:eek:. Can't wait to use it, I've so much paperwork to dispose of and my old shredder burnt out from over use:o. I'd had it about 15 years and it was the cheapest most basic model at the time so it did well really. This new one will shred anything, 14 paqes at a time and runs for ages before needing a cooling off period. OH has masses of paperwork, he has 2 filing cabinets full of totally unnecessary rubbish:eek:, and if I offer to shred it for him with my new toy he might just decide to have a purge;)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,118 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Good news on the shredder carbootcrazy :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi earthie honestly, the gratitudes exercise, like madvix does on her thread, is the most positive way forward I've found. I don't put it on here simply because I do it last thing at night in bed ... I actually find I look forward to it. It's just a gentle reminder, and that gentleness is really important to me.

Oh, the other thing I think of to gee me up, and always have (i.e. its not about age) is how once the time has gone, its gone. Today, for instance, is the only Saturday 19th May 2018, the only one that will ever be, in the whole of this universe, everywhere. Is that 50th game of free cell worthy of it?

:o:o:o I know, its really bad :rotfl:

CBC, really, it sounds rough for you, I hope there are positives for you there. I like the sound of a heavy duty scanner, I know what you mean about excess waste paperwork. And also about a cooling off period for tiny little shredder motors :rotfl: Mine's like that, and I often time it by ad breaks :rotfl:

Today, I watched a certain ceremonial occasion on TV :cool: with accompanying texting, which was :cool: and :rotfl: then went for a walk, tiptoeing past my commuter neighbour because he doesn't stop talking :) still there when I got back, so that was no good, and he also wanted to prune a little hazel that drifted into my front garden, it obstructs his point of view. I did it myself more or less at the time, as he's a bit too handy with the pruning shears.

Scanning and Swagbucks, otherwise, with help from the thread on here.

beanie hope you're good, I'm off to check now.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    I am good thanks :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• I hope everyone is enjoying the weather:beer:. It's too hot for me, I can't stand too much sun even with sunscreen and plenty of shade. Did a car boot sale this morning and was really pleased that it was quite cool and misty first thing but the sun came out with a vengeance and by 11 it was baking hot. Glad to be home. Made £93.15 and got rid of some clutter which buyers seemed to think was exactly what they'd been looking for:eek:. There's now't so queer as folk is there:rotfl:

Going to have a shower and a few cups of tea. No shredding going to get done today, I'm worn out:o.
  • beanielou
    Great amount for the car boot carbootcrazy.

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    £93 is incredible! One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that. Always good to see old things go to a loving new home though, isn't it?
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's a wonderful total, CBC - I know it's the estate you're slowly selling off, and I'm glad you're getting *something* from some of it.

**waves at juliecorn too**

Apart from the usual SB kerfuffle and navvying in the garden, I can't think of *anything* mse that I've done today :o though at least I've been doing other stuff like scanning and tidying and getting my suitcase ready. And hiding from the heat after a bit, like CBC - it's been amazing out there!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    **waves back**

I think it's pretty impressive that you managed to some other organising on a Sunday - don't need to save money every day! (I've achieved exactly zero today, apart from a small food shop ;) )
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business