Mortgage Free by April 2017

Comments

• Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Nice choice my sister had one for 2/3 years and was really good best thing is £30 tax and mpg

I recently got rid of a audi 2.0T 25mpg to a Renault 30tax 50+mpg saves me around 1.5/2k a year all about cheap miles really isnt it
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I recently got rid of a audi 2.0T 25mpg to a Renault 30tax 50+mpg saves me around 1.5/2k a year all about cheap miles really isnt it

Oh wow massive saving! Nice :beer:

If I ignore the purchase price and depreciation, then its super cheap per mile :D

Just looking at fuel, I worked out its £15 a week to drive to work and back 5 days a week. Currently I can get a lift a lot of the time, but he is a workaholic and often doesnt leave until 30 minutes after our finish time. Its starting to really annoy me so Im thinking of just biting the bullet and driving myself. Is it worth £15 a week to be home 30 minutes earlier each day? thats about £700 a year.
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • Hi Jimlad, yep we both work. DH used to commute by train to our town centre but now goes by bus as he does the school drop off in mornings. For some reason bus is more expensive than his month train fare. A second car would be invaluable especially on cold mornings and I feel guilty that I can be toasty warm in my car when DD and DD are freezing cold but at the moment we are managing. I think when both kids are in the same school we might need to re-evaluate and actually just get the second car.
    Luckily I'm only 5 foot and kids are still tiny so I think the up might we a good option when the time finally comes
    1.7.15: £157,469.64, 10.02.16: £93,434.74
    FIT-4 #34, MFW 2016 #89 (£7350/24000)
    Target MFW Dec 2018
  • Hi all, i haven't posted in a little while and thought as the weather is miserable outside i might as well. Our grocery shopping is still going to budget with £23 spent last weekend and £15 the weekend before. I must confess i'm still overspending with lunches and i seem to find every excuse not to have the .40p tin of soup sitting in draw at my desk.

As jimlad has said recently we have bought a second car. I think it will make our lives much easier and i won't have to pay an exorbitant amount to travel on the train to work. We now use the second car, a petrol 1 litre on our short trips to the supermarket and into town.

Our airbnb side hussle for January is looking pretty good considering its winter.

Still on track with savings, and looking forward to when our fix rate ends and we can do a large overpayment later this year.
  • JimLad
    Its been an expensive month with us having to splash some of our cash on a second runabout car so lets have a look and see if our side hustle has improved…

Airbnb: £261 – Back on form after a sub £100 december and a £21 improvement on January 2014. We have gained a regular Tuesday night businessman that works in the business park near us and lives miles away.Only one day a week but long may he continue!Already over £200 of bookings for feb!

Adsense from Youtube: £37.20. Always a downturn in this in January as the advertisers blow their marketing budget running up to Christmas. The lowest for a while, but a couple of videos in the pipeline (I always say this!).

Amazon Affiliates from Youtube: £18.19 - Tragedy has struck this month! Someone bought a £300+ graphics card a few months ago, and this momth they returned it! This gets taken off my earnings. If it wasn’t for that it would have been over 30. Highlights from this months purchases include a roasted red laundry basket and a batman towel!

Solar Panels: £18.30 – Some really sunny days towards the end of january helped a lot and bumped up the month

Matched Betting: £0 No “simple” matched bets that i deemed worthy. They should start again when the champions league starts again

Thats a grand total of £334.69 earned outside of work in January. Almost double what we did last month and mainly down to airbnb. I have high hopes for february.
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • Great month again, Jim! Got tax on the brain this month but your tax return must look particularly interesting with all these different ventures :D
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • Just read your thread after struggling to sleep.. Never going to go the Air B&B route (3 kids under 4) but the Adsense and affiliates is intriguing..

I've thought about this previously but then let it slip. How long did it take you to start earning some money? How any new videos do you make a month.

You just have your Amazon affiliate link on the Youtube channel do you?

Could you PM me a link to your channel I'd be keen to see what is required fr the payoff you are getting. I'll even click a few ads for you.
  • JimLad
    edited 3 February 2016 at 2:02PM
    Great month again, Jim! Got tax on the brain this month but your tax return must look particularly interesting with all these different ventures :D

Well, you can earn up to 5k from renting out your spare room before you have to pay tax on it so its an awful lot less than you would think :A
    adam81 wrote: »
    Just read your thread after struggling to sleep.. Never going to go the Air B&B route (3 kids under 4) but the Adsense and affiliates is intriguing..

I've thought about this previously but then let it slip. How long did it take you to start earning some money? How any new videos do you make a month.

You just have your Amazon affiliate link on the Youtube channel do you?

Could you PM me a link to your channel I'd be keen to see what is required fr the payoff you are getting. I'll even click a few ads for you.

Yes i simply have the affiliate link on my youtube videos. So for example if i review a blender, I link to it in the description and anyone that clicks it and orders something earns me money. It leaves a cookie on their pc, and anything they buy in the next 24 hours counts.

I have sent you my link. Its taken me a few years to build up my subscriber base. Most of my views come from search though, so it all depends on the products I review. Some videos go crazy and get thousands, but some just stay low. Its really difficult to predict.

What kind of videos were you thinking of making?
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • Hi all, very pleased with January's numbers. Saving all this extra cash hard to go towards the lump sum we can do later in the year. I know you should't wish away your life...but i cant wait til the autumn and seeing the number we owe on the mortgage and the amount of interest we pay a month to go down drastically! Exciting times!!!
  • JimLad
    Interesting news on the personal savings allowance. We were not aware it was happening until we watched the martin lewis money show last week!

The show also highlighted the santander 123 account to us and we have opened one up to keep our lump sum in until its overpayment time. Our mortgage is with santander so we have moved the payment for that and our council tax to it so the cashback on the payments will cover the £5 fee.

I have looked at it before, but being burned by santander banking in the past I was reluctant to dive in. I guess that was pretty stupid as we have missed out on a year of mortgage cashback.
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family