The 'No More Buying DVDs Until I Have Watched the Ones I Already Own' Thread

Comments

• InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 February 2010 at 11:16PM
    Thanks Pickle too, can I hop on board?! Your post stood out like some sort of big flashy thing to me. I'm not even going to count the DVDs I haven't watched yet but I can safely say it'll take me well over a year to do this one...... :o

:rotfl:My big, fat box of DVDs (the same size as the bag of books I have to read!) had a big flashy thing standing out over it to me, hence the creation of this thread!

Welcome aboard! :D
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• VALM wrote: »
    I can't even commit to this at the moment as there is too much on the TV that we're watching as it is. Our V+ box is chocka block with episodes of Reaper, Heroes, CSI, 24, Lost and Supernatural and to top that Fringe is back tonight and Damages is due back on. Just not enough hours in the day. x

oh didnt realise damages is back soon. loving the fact 24 is back but i think its slightly lost its edge (wont stop me watching it every week)

Very bad today went shopping and came back with 8 dvds
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • my current problem is that i keep finding cheap DVD box sets on amazon of shows I used to watch on the TV... such as the Tudors, 2000 Acres of Sky, the Royle Family and even Hetty Wainthrop Investigates... these are even worse as theres much more viewing material so takes even longer to watch them! i really dont have the time! also when P&P was free for DVDs on ebay there were always plenty of bargains to be had, I got Cranford on DVD for £1.27. I really need to stop buying now, as it will take me long enough to watch the ones i own already...and get rid of any that i wont watch again...
    November 2018 make £10/day - £21/£300
    November 2018 NSDs 1/15
    Emergency Fund /£1000
    Weight Lost lb/100lb
  • This post stood out to me.

I must have 4 or 5 that I have bought and not watched. I just pick them up while walking aroudn the supermarket. I have made the subconscious decision not to buy any more.

I almost bought Borat the other day. Even though I have seen it and thought it was just OK, I saw it for £4 and thought about it.

Must be some form of addiction.

You can get Borat for a lot cheaper than £4 ;) Sorry probably not helping, but i should know as I bought it! Thats one i did actually get rid of though, as it really wasnt worth watching more than once...
    November 2018 make £10/day - £21/£300
    November 2018 NSDs 1/15
    Emergency Fund /£1000
    Weight Lost lb/100lb
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,819
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    oh didnt realise damages is back soon. loving the fact 24 is back but i think its slightly lost its edge (wont stop me watching it every week)

Very bad today went shopping and came back with 8 dvds

Hi Mrs Moneypenny, wish I could find out when Damages is back but there seems to be nothing online.

I know what you mean about 24. To be honest I think it lost the plot when Jack came back from China. I can't get my head around the fact that he's survived (again!) a terminal disease and has already gone gung ho back into action. I think this is the last year that he is signed up for so maybe he will hang up his boots for ever at the end of "today". x
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • NGlady
    NGlady Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Hi, I wont join this thread as I don't have this adiction - but there is websites out there dedicated to swopping DVDs.
    Learning to be 'good with money'
  • InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    NGlady wrote: »
    Hi, I wont join this thread as I don't have this adiction - but there is websites out there dedicated to swopping DVDs.

You don't quite have to have an addiction, per se, just a few too many DVDs you haven't made time in your schedule to watch, but thanks for the tip! :D
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    OK, so I'm very busy today but I have the house to myself tonight so I will try (if I can get through all the chores I have today :() to watch a DVD tonight and knock one off the list. I guess the question is, which one?!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• watched 'Tell no-one' last night -french subtitled thriller worth a watch and will probally watch again to make sure i didnt miss anything.
    this week have watched
    blackhawk down - brought after seeing it at cinema first watch of the dvd. very harrowing war film.
    bolt - disney film only bought yesterday and watched as soon as we got in. good family fun will watch again
    fighter - doesnt really count as it was lent not bought glad really as it was rubbish
    hurt locker - another very realistic harrowing war film about a bomb disposal team
    JCVD another french film (subtitled) with jean claude van dame not his normal type of film he played 'himself' being caught up in a bank robbery better than i thought it would be.

not normally able to get through films at this rate but its half term and DH is off work so we are stayng up later
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,819
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    watched 'Tell no-one' last night -french subtitled thriller worth a watch and will probally watch again to make sure i didnt miss anything.
    this week have watched
    blackhawk down - brought after seeing it at cinema first watch of the dvd. very harrowing war film.
    bolt - disney film only bought yesterday and watched as soon as we got in. good family fun will watch again
    fighter - doesnt really count as it was lent not bought glad really as it was rubbish
    hurt locker - another very realistic harrowing war film about a bomb disposal team
    JCVD another french film (subtitled) with jean claude van dame not his normal type of film he played 'himself' being caught up in a bank robbery better than i thought it would be.

not normally able to get through films at this rate but its half term and DH is off work so we are stayng up later

Out of these films I've seen Tell No One - we used to be members of LoveFilm and used to watch TV box sets (I remember we watched most of CSI this way) but decided to give up the membership when so much good stuff was coming on the TV. So even at that time we weren't watching the DVDs we had.

We own Black Hawk Down on both DVD and BluRay! I know we watched the DVD but have not seen the BluRay version and I own Bolt which my daughter bought me for Christmas and I still haven't watched it but then we did hire it from LoveFilm not long after it was released. x
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family