SJP Retirement plan

13»

Comments

• coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    [FONT=&quot]I am also living off a DC only pension and would swap to having a DB pension as a base, supplemented by a DC top-up at the drop of a hat.[/FONT]
  • I have after a lot of thought & research decided to leave my Barclays DB pension where it is.
    I am not sure what to do with my SJP retirement fund. The 2 IFA, s I have consulted said it was a no brainer & I should transfer it. The cost to do this would be 3%
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ...or you can do it yourself for nothing. Some SIPPs will give you cash back (e.g. Intractive Investor) or offer to cover your costs.

Are there any penalties imposed by SJP to transfer out?
  • Don't think so but will of course check. I do not want the responsibility of a Sipp as I don't have time or Knowledge of investment
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Don't think so but will of course check. I do not want the responsibility of a Sipp as I don't have time or Knowledge of investment

https://monevator.com/vanguard-lifestrategy/ may be worth a look.

https://www.cavendishonline.co.uk/pensions/personal-pensions/
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Moving away from SJP is a no brainer. That bit is not in doubt.

Your fund at £130k is not large. Some IFAs will see that as small value and will either refuse to transact or will have a higher fee (often to act as a passive blocker). 0.5% pa ongoing is the most common IFA ongoing charge but many charge 1% for amounts under £xxx (often £100k-250k).

For reference, purely on the financials and not circumstances, a transfer out of Barclays would not raise eyebrows. We had one recently and the multiplier was attractive (and the person was an experienced investor with Govt D schemes being retained to give more than enough secure income).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure