Flights to Pittsburgh

Biollante21
Biollante21 Posts: 85 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
edited 13 December 2018 at 2:21PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hello all
I am looking at going to Pittsburgh in April and flying Premium Economy
The flights are currently coming up at £1075 return each and i am wondering if anyone has any experience on whether i should book now or wait until nearer the time as they may go cheaper
This is the first time i have ever done this and have no idea what is the best to do as they may even go dearer
Anybody able to give any advice on the best thing to do
A big thank you to anyone who replies

John

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Assuming this is with BA, I'd wait for the Christmas sale to see if prices will come down a bit.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Have you checked going via Washington DC, Baltimore MD, Cleveland OH, Columbus OH or Detroit MI - either with a domestic flight or if you fancy it, driving?

Also, if you live a long way from London, maybe via your regional airport and Amsterdam/Schiphol?
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • RDA
    RDA Posts: 215 Forumite
    It's invariably cheaper to fly from a non-UK airport.

Flights from Oslo to Pittsburgh for 1/4/19 - 8/4/19 are currently coming up at just over £900.

Where are you flying from and what are your exact dates ?
  • Flights to PGH will not be cheap and more than likely not go down. BA is the only airline that flies there so there is no competition (and even flying there via somewhere else will still come up pretty expensive).

As someone who used to go to Pittsburgh quite a lot and had a lot of friends from there, they would drive to either Philly or NYC- but flights to philly now are also expensive.

Best bet is to go to Newark, get the train to Philly and drive as its about 4 hours from there- if you dont want to drive, get the greyhound.
  • Biollante21
    Biollante21 Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 13 December 2018 at 6:00PM
    A few more details
    I am looking at going April 22nd or 23rd from Manchester and returning May 4th and will then be travelling with my brother by car to Ohio for a couple of days as he lives there until the last couple of days of April and then on to West Virginia for the rest of the stay

My brother is picking me up at the airport

Having looked on Skyscanner, Kayak, Virgin website the flights are all coming up at the same price
    I have also noticed on the Virgin website that if i choose to go standard economy then i am only allowed 1 bag up to 23kg but it will be both me and my g/f who will be going
    Virgin Standard Economy is currently coming up as £1374 for 2 of us (1 bag) and £2172 for premium economy
  • The prices you’re getting seem high, although looks like it is over the Easter period. Do you have any flexibility with dates? Sometimes moving by just a day can significantly change the price. Google flights is good for showing alternatives.

If you’re happy to get to an alternative starting airport then Wow air fly to Pittsburg via Iceland from Gatwick, Stansted, Edinbrugh, a bit cheaper from Dublin or even get yourself to Iceland for the US leg. Their pricing is usually very good and it’s a quick easy connection.

If you’re going to Ohio is Cleveland an option? Icelandic fly there.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • Just come back from Chicago with American Airlines, in economy and would fly with them again.
  • I am pretty stuck with the dates as my brother opens his business in West Virginia around the May 6th and my g/f works in a shop and cant get any other dates off around that time
    According to Skyscanner its more expensive to go to Columbus
  • Im somewhat confused. Are you staying at the end of the trip in west virginia? It would TOTALLY make more sense in that case to fly in / out of DC or Baltimore if that is the case.
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    As mentioned in a post above, I know BA used to normally have a sale in January, may be worth waiting a month if that is the airline you are looking at.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure