IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CPM Parking ticket & County Court Business Centre Claim Help

Options

Comments

• mfwx
    mfwx Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2018 at 5:46PM
    Options
    I have used this defence and added a few points to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

CLAIM No: xxxxxxxxxx

BETWEEN:!

UK CAR PARK MANAGEMENT LTD (Claimant)

-and-

xxxxxxxxxxxx (Defendant)

1. The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to relief in the sum claimed, or at all.

2. The facts are that the vehicle, registration XXXX, of which the Defendant is the registered keeper, was parked on the material date in a marked bay allocated to Company XXXX at XXXX Business Park, and had a valid permit to be parked in that bay.

3. The Particulars of Claim state that the Defendant !!!8220;was the registered keeper and/or the driver of the vehicle(s)!!!8221;. These assertions indicate that the Claimant has failed to identify a Cause of Action, and is simply offering a menu of choices. As such, the Claim fails to comply with Civil Procedure Rule 16.4, or with Civil Practice Direction 16, paras. 7.3 to 7.5. Further, the particulars of the claim do not meet the requirements of Practice Direction 16 7.5 as there is nothing which specifies how the terms were breached.!

4. Due to the sparseness of the particulars, it is unclear as to what legal basis the claim is brought, whether for breach of contract, contractual liability, or trespass. However, it is denied that the Defendant, or any driver of the vehicle, entered into any contractual agreement with the Claimant, whether express, implied, or by conduct.

5. Further and in the alternative, it is denied that the claimant's signage sets out the terms in a sufficiently clear manner which would be capable of binding any reasonable person reading them. They merely state that vehicles must be parked correctly within their allocated parking bay, giving no definition of the term 'correctly parked', nor indicating which bays are allocated to whom.!

6. The terms on the Claimant's signage are also displayed in a font which is too small to be read from a passing vehicle, and is in such a position that anyone attempting to read the tiny font would be unable to do so easily. It is, therefore, denied that the Claimant's signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract.

7. The Claimant is put to strict proof that it has sufficient prorpietary interest in the land, or that it has the necessary authorisation from the landowner to issue parking charge notices, and to pursue payment by means of litigation.

8. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4, at Section 4(5) states that the maximum sum that may be recovered from the keeper is the charge stated on the Notice to Keeper, in this case £100. The claim includes an additional £60, for which no calculation or explanation is given, and which appears to be an attempt at double recovery.

9. The Claimant did not comply with the Part B, section 15 of the Code of Practice regarding grace periods: The photographic evidence submitted by UK Car Mark Management are date and time stamped.!It shows the vehicle at 12:12:08 from the rear. It then shows the vehicle, again from the rear at 12:13:22, just 14 seconds after the first photograph was taken. I refer to case!Vehicle Services Ltd vs Ibbotson (2012)!in which it is agreed that the claimant was responsible for mitigating the losses to the landowner. The parking operative had every opportunity to tell me in person that they needed to move the car, but failed to do so.

10. No terms were seen because the car was photographed before the defendant had even set foot out of the car. The defendant was given no fair chance to read any terms at all, so the elements of a contract and agreement on any (unknown) charge are absent. Where terms on a parking sign are not seen/known, then there can be no contract. The defendant relies upon the case of Vine v London Borough of Waltham Forest; CA 5 APR 2000, a case won by the consumer on appeal where the Judges also found that clear entrance signs are expected.

11. The Claimant’s solicitors are known to be a serial issuer of generic claims similar to this one, with no diligence, no scrutiny of details nor even checking for a true cause of action. HMCS have identified over 1000 similar sparse claims. I believe the term for such conduct is ‘roboclaims’ which is against the public interest, unfair on unrepresented consumers and parking companies using the small claims track as a form of aggressive, automated debt collection is not something the courts should be seen to support. On the basis of the above, I request the court strike out the claim.!!

12. In summary, it is the Defendant's position that the claim discloses no cause of action, is without merit, and has no real prospect of success. Accordingly, the Court is invited to strike out the claim of its own initiative, using its case management powers pursuant to CPR 3.4.

I believe the facts contained in this Defence are true.!

Name!
    Signature
    Date
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I was thinking of using this defence. But I am unsure which points to add a from my above previous defence
    With a Claim Issue Date of 8th November, and having done the Acknowledgement of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Tuesday 11th December 2018 to file your Defence.
    Haven't you submitted your defence? From what's been previously written here, looks like you've missed it.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • mfwx
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Haven't you submitted your defence? From what's been previously written here, looks like you've missed it.

I completely mis-read the date. You're right - What does this mean?
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    If they're on the ball they will have already applied for a default judgment against you which means you will need to pay in full by the date given in the judgment.

Last gasp attempt, just send that last draft appeal via the MCOL online portal and hope it might creep through - no guarantee, but saves sitting paralysed like a rabbit between the headlights.

If it does creep through you might be able to repair some damage at the (later) Witness Statement stage.

There's no guarantees in my suggestion, you might have already flat-lined. No more asking for anything to add to it/improve it. Just send it!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 December 2018 at 6:01PM
    Options
    mfwx wrote: »
    I completely mis-read the date. You're right - What does this mean?
    This means that until you file a Defence and it has been accepted by the CCBC, the Claimant is free to seek a Judgment by Default against you.

So far, they have had two whole days to do that.

You would be wise to get a Defence filed as soon as possible - before 8am tomorrow morning would be best.
  • mfwx
    Options
    If they're on the ball they will have already applied for a default judgment against you which means you will need to pay in full by the date given in the judgment.

Last gasp attempt, just send that last draft appeal via the MCOL online portal and hope it might creep through - no guarantee, but saves sitting paralysed like a rabbit between the headlights.

If it does creep through you might be able to repair some damage at the (later) Witness Statement stage.

There's no guarantees in my suggestion, you might have already flat-lined. No more asking for anything to add to it/improve it. Just send it!
    KeithP wrote: »
    This means that until you file a Defence and it has been accepted by the CCBC, the Claimant is free to seek a Judgment by Default against you.

So far, they have had two whole days to do that.

You would be wise to get a Defence filed as soon as possible - before 8am tomorrow morning would be best.

Thank you guys, I'll get it sent now.
  • mfwx
    Options
    One last thing - Shall I print, sign and email to the above email address or just submit it through the portal?
  • KeithP
    Options
    mfwx wrote: »
    One last thing - Shall I print, sign and email to the above email address or just submit it through the portal?

Post #4 above describes the best way to do it - even if I say so myself. :D

Surely you will have read by now the reasons why you should not file a Defence via MCOL?
    They are explained fully in post #2 of the NEWBIES thread.
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Post #4 above describes the best way to do it - even if I say so myself. :D

Surely you will have read by now the reasons why you should not file a Defence via MCOL?
    They are explained fully in post #2 of the NEWBIES thread.

Keith - do you think that as this is beyond the wire now, that using the portal might take him through more quickly than an email and attachment. I know the formatting will be messed up - but his back is more than up against the wall?

• KeithP
    edited 13 December 2018 at 6:32PM
    Options
    Sorry Umkomaas, I don't know the answer to that.

It is of course possible that filing via the MCOL portal results in an automatic 'acceptance' of the Defence, but I really don't know.

Perhaps the OP should check MCOL now to see if a default Judgment has been applied for by the Claimant? In which case, the filing of a Defence is not relevant.

OP, if you do send your Defence via email add the word Urgent in the email title.

However you send it, I would be checking with the CCBC tomorrow morning urging them to process your Defence quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure