Ireland travel with elderly relative

Good morning,

Have not been able to get through to the embassy so hopefully someone here can advise.

My Grandmother, aged 92, is an Irish citizen who has been resident in England since the 1950's.

She is hoping to travel to Ireland next year (possibly after March if thats relevant).

Her passport is expired.

Within the CTA what other forms of ID could be accepted to travel?

If the passport is renewed, is the cost free such as it is for British nationals born before 1929?

I am also travelling myself next year from England to Ireland, via car/boat. My wife & I have passports. My 2 children will be aged 1 and 3, do I need any passport or other documentation for them within the CTA?

Many thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 December 2018 at 5:37PM
    Generally speaking I think it depends your mode of transport. If you are flying then passport seems to be the norm but other photographic ID may be accepted- you need to check with airline. A friend flew to Belfast (within UK) & had to have photo identity- a bit of a problem without passport or driving licence!!.

If you are travelling by car I don't think there will be a problem,especially if you have UK car registration. I never take my passport.

This is what it says on Stena website:

British or Irish citizens travelling on our Irish Sea routes do not need a passport to travel to Britain or Ireland but are advised to take a form of identity. A driving licence, citizenship card or utility bill will usually suffice.
    A birth certificate will provide adequate proof of identity for your child to travel on our sailings.

Ireland is a grey area for travelling by car! You may find your insurer classes it as geographically the UK in which case your insurance & breakdown cover is as usual, no extra to pay. Other insurers call it europe, then you need extra insurance & breakdown cover.

Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure