ESA appointment received/few questions.

Dan27
Dan27 Posts: 604 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 5 December 2018 at 11:41AM in Disability money matters
Hi I've received notification of upcoming appointment for f2f assessment for esa. This is a reassessment of which I have been in the support group for the past 3 years. Not much has changed since my last assessment in capability to work and should hopefully be awarded support component again. How long does it take for the report to be available for me from dwp? With it been so close to Christmas/new year there maybe delays in this. Does anybody have any idea or have previous experiences with this? I'm pretty confident that I should be able to prove how difficult capabilities to work is for me. Just got to basically back up what I put on the ESA50 form and hopefully report is read adequate enough to be put into the support group again for x amount of time. Fingers crossed hopefully as time goes on.

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 5 December 2018 at 3:58PM
    After the F2F the report is sent same day to DWP.

If you call after a few days they may send you a copy, or may refuse, as happened to me in October.

I was told the DMs didn't like them going out before they had a chance to check for quality control.

My request was noted, told it would be sent asap which didn't happen.

I got my decision letter quite quickly anyway.

It then took a further two calls to get the report.

The last gentlemen I spoke to at the DWP (who printed it and put into post tray while I was on the line), couldn't understand why I hadn't had it yet.

Hopefully though you will have an easier experience.
  • I was told that ESA reports are not available until after you have received the decision. However, I rang for an update on my son's case (I am his appointee). Whilst on the phone, I was told that a decision letter would be in the post the following day. I asked if the report could be sent with the decision. A few days later, I received both in the same envelope - support group with a recommendation that my son is not reassessed because he will never improve.
  • Dan27
    Thank you for the replies and will take your advice on board.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I recently had another assessment for ESA. Left it a week before ringing for the report. Received report 2 days after requesting it, so they do send it before a decision is made. Received decision letter a week later. Time from assessment to decision, just under 3 weeks. I remained in the Support Group.

Just so you know, the report isn't always returned the same day. Sometimes it's the day after and if it's sent for audit then it's delayed even further.
  • Dan27
    Hopefully all goes well. My re assessment is on Monday 17th. My mind has been working overtime the nearer it gets.
  • Dan27
    edited 12 December 2018 at 11:24PM
    Just had a quick read through the little booklet that's sent with my notification of my assessment. In the section where it says can I claim travel expenses? It mentions about taxis can be claimed with relevant letter from a medical professional which I haven't provided. It then goes on to say please do not travel by taxi without agreement. I was intending to travel by taxi and just pay myself because dont want to travel by public transport. I would rather go by taxi and say that's how I travelled. I doubt I can get a lift off a family member. I don't mind paying for a taxi out of my pocket and going. Is it a requirement to claim travel expenses and if so why does the little booklet say please don't travel by taxi without agreement. Can understand without agreement and still wanting to claim back the fare but that's not my intention. I'd rather just go via taxi pay off my own expense and not claim. Is this possible?
  • I travelled by taxi and when they asked me how i got there I told them, they then ordered a taxi on their account to send me home and sent me a cheque a few days later for the one I'd paid for, never asked them for permission to use a taxi just did.
  • Dan27
    edited 13 December 2018 at 3:09AM
    venison wrote: »
    I travelled by taxi and when they asked me how i got there I told them, they then ordered a taxi on their account to send me home and sent me a cheque a few days later for the one I'd paid for, never asked them for permission to use a taxi just did.

Ok thank you and yes I hope for an better 2019 after 2018 being terrible for me too. My dad was diagnosed with Cancer back in March. It's being quite a rollercoaster ride for me too.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Yes that is possible. Get a taxi and pay yourself.
    When they ask you if you want to claim travel expenses, say no.
    Exactly what I did recently.
  • Dan27
    edited 15 December 2018 at 2:25PM
    In a reassessment is it best to treat it as your first assessment. I doubt the HCA will know what group/award I'm already on. Is it best to mention it in some way. Although if it deters my claim in anyway it may not be worth it. I know the DM at DWP makes the final decision but it's a decent recommendation off the HCA that is needed for them to consider making that decision. I'm worried about Monday and just hoping it all goes well. I've wrote down some notes to refer to but unfortunately have no evidence from any GPs HCA or a nurse. All I have is my report from last time. That will help me also by reading it regularly to help answer the questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure