Housing Benefits Help after death

My Nan passed away from cancer on the 27th November, and I have been trying to help my grandad out the best I can with everything. We have been able to close her bank account, sorted out the housing association they have there house through which was straight forward as they just changed the tenancy from a joint one to a single one in his name. I contacted the council on his behalf in regards to his housing benefits and council tax benefit they receive advised them of my Nans passing and received a letter yesterday advising the benefit has been suspended, I made a further phone call yesterday and was advised that they should have sent a change of circumstance form out as well. I have made another call today as they haven't been overally clear on the process and was told today we could go online and complete the change of circumstance form which annoyed me as we could have been told this when we first reported it. My poor grandad is now worried that he is going to fall behind on his payments the guy is 83 years old. So my main question is now that we have completed the change of circumstance form will they just amend his current claim and take my Nans details off it, or will he have to make a brand new claim? as we don't seem to be getting a clear answer from the council!

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's likely he will need to make a claim in his own right.
    (As the income on which HB is calculated will have changed).

When he completes the form, explain the circumstances and ask for a backdate of HB.

It's possible Macmillan may be able to help /advise.

Best wishes.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 December 2018 at 10:06PM
    Sorry for your loss.

Suspension is unfortunately the correct procedure.

Updated finances are only needed.if nothing else has changed i.e nobody has moved in etc.

I would ring the HA and tell them the council are looking at the claim so payments will be delayed – however the council has to let the HA know the claim is suspended so the HA will be aware.

Just to clarify

A claim form will have been issued if the claimant was Nan and the claim would have been cancelled for Grandad to claim in his name.
    As the claim was suspended and a change of circumstances form was issued then the LA only needs to remove nans name and alter the finances.
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• Thanks for the help, one further question is it common that benefits get reduced after a death my grandad housing benefit has gone from £55 a week to £48 a week and the council tax has been reduced from £11 a week down to just under £4, this does not seem right but I’ve never had to deal with this before so am unsure?
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Yes it is correct for benefits to reduce but they can also increase due to different circumstances

Why do you believe it to be incorrect?
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• I was just under the impression they would likely increase as it would only be my Grandads pension coming in, where as before it included my Nans pension as well, as I've said i'm new to all this, just trying to make sure my grandad has his finances in order and is getting all the help he can get.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If he is living on his own his council tax bill will reduce to a single person. It's good he has someone to help him through this.
  • Thats why I'm shocked that it has changed from £11 reduction a week they were getting to now just £3.90 a week
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The best thing to do is put all of his details into a benefits calculator.
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Or take him to visit his local CAB for a full benefits check.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 December 2018 at 9:27PM
    I was just under the impression they would likely increase as it would only be my Grandads pension coming in, where as before it included my Nans pension as well, as I've said i'm new to all this, just trying to make sure my grandad has his finances in order and is getting all the help he can get.

He will have less money coming in than as a couple but he is also expected to be able to live on less money than a couple need so benefits can go up or down depending on actual income applicable.

As poppy suggests you can use a benefits calculator to help if you wish.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure