PPI: Capital One no longer have my records

I had a credit card with Capital One in 2005. I have written to them via the MSE Tesolver programme and I have had a response from Capital One saying that they are unable to locate my account because they do not retain customer records going back so far. I unfortunately do not have any records my side. Do I have any grounds to pursue this PPI case with them?

Comments

• Apologies should read MSE Resolver programme
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No. If they have no records and you have no records, it's game over.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you can't prove you had it or paid it then unfortunately your complaint is over as there is no evidence for a refund
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do I have any grounds to pursue this PPI case with them?

If you closed the account many years ago, then they only retain records for a period after that.

With no evidence of you even having PPI, let alone it being missold, then the complaint is dead in the water.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Ok thanks everyone
  • That's a load of rubbish. I remembered having a Capital One card ages ago so chanced my arm and went onto their site to check if I ever did and they got back to me saying yes in October 2003! Filled in my resolver and a week later got a letter saying my complaint had been upheld and a cheque for £364 is coming my way. Try filling out the details in the Capital One ppi checker rather than calling them and see if they get back to you. that is what I used (but didn't notice their reply until about a week past it arriving as it ended up in my junk inbox). good luck!
  • That's a load of rubbish.
    If they have no record of the OPs account, it's not rubbish at all.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Essiepoo the OP has not been on since 29/11 so unlikely to see your comment - may be worth noting however when a firm say they don’t hold any records due to the passage of time then this is because of how long has passed since that account was ‘closed’ has nothing to do with date you took out the product and has everything to do with their data retention requirements on closed accounts.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Essiepoo wrote: »
    That's a load of rubbish. I remembered having a Capital One card ages ago so chanced my arm and went onto their site to check if I ever did and they got back to me saying yes in October 2003! Filled in my resolver and a week later got a letter saying my complaint had been upheld and a cheque for £364 is coming my way. Try filling out the details in the Capital One ppi checker rather than calling them and see if they get back to you. that is what I used (but didn't notice their reply until about a week past it arriving as it ended up in my junk inbox). good luck!

The important bit of info is when you close the account. When the account is open, a longer history is retained. When the account is closed, a phased destruction of data takes place.

So, someone who paid PPI in 2003 but closed the account in 2005 is likely to have less info on file than someone who paid PPi in 2003 but closed the account in 2015.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Essiepoo wrote: »
    That's a load of rubbish.
    Thanks for your contribution to the forum.

Unfortunately, your personal experience is irrelevant to that of the OP who last logged onto this site in November when his thread received it's earlier answers.

If you have a particular query or experience you want to share, please start a new thread..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure