PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Want to Sue Landlord but would it cost lots upfront?

Options
I have never used a solicitor before but have seen a free one from the Law Society who said I had a very good case.

My problem is funds, I assume that I would need to keep paying money upfront, if that is the case then I can't sue, which is frustrating as I was put through hell, you wouldn't believe the insane things done to me. To let this person get away with it is the worst part.

I have tried to find representation on a no win no fee basis, but it is not available for this type of case.

So rather than spend hundreds asking a solicitor, does anyone here know if it would definitely cost me thousands up front, or would it be some up front then the most after the case is finished?

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sue your landlord for what?

You may not need a solicitor at all.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have never used a solicitor before but have seen a free one from the Law Society who said I had a very good case.

My problem is funds, I assume that I would need to keep paying money upfront, if that is the case then I can't sue, which is frustrating as I was put through hell, you wouldn't believe the insane things done to me. To let this person get away with it is the worst part.

I have tried to find representation on a no win no fee basis, but it is not available for this type of case.

So rather than spend hundreds asking a solicitor, does anyone here know if it would definitely cost me thousands up front, or would it be some up front then the most after the case is finished?

What are you suing for?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are launching a claim against your landlord, I presume it's a relatively small (£x00 or £x,000) straight financial claim. That would go through the small claim track, where solicitors are neither needed or permitted, and the claim fee is minimal.

If your case against him is something else, then you really are going to need to give more detail if you want answers that are even remotely sensible.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    Would it not make sense to ask the solicitor you've already spoken to about the costs?
  • lifeofbrian2015
    Options
    No heating for 2 years, removed the entire roof and flooring above me mid winter(without telling me, 14 degrees in the day with three heaters on), noise all day every day for over a year, I basically lived on a building site for 2 years when he said only 3 months of work and no noise and no disruption to me.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    No heating for 2 years, removed the entire roof and flooring above me mid winter(without telling me, 14 degrees in the day with three heaters on), noise all day every day for over a year, I basically lived on a building site for 2 years when he said only 3 months of work and no noise and no disruption to me.

Did you report it to the council?

Did you move (obviously not)

I don't see a claim here sorry. There is a prescribed procedure to follow, and it sounds like you didn't.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options

And you stayed there?:eek:
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• lifeofbrian2015
    Options
    What could the council have done?
    Slithery wrote: »
    Sue your landlord for what?

You may not need a solicitor at all.
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Did you report it to the council?

Did you move (obviously not)

I don't see a claim here sorry. There is a prescribed procedure to follow, and it sounds like you didn't.
  • lifeofbrian2015
    Options
    That's the same as saying to a domestic abuse victim, "And you stayed with them". That's no excuse. I suffer mental health problems, and this crushed me mentally and physically, and I have much evidence to support this.
    And you stayed there?:eek:
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's the same as saying to a domestic abuse victim, "And you stayed with them". That's no excuse. I suffer mental health problems, and this crushed me mentally and physically, and I have much evidence to support this.

No it isnt even comparable and is an insult to people who have been in a domestic situation unable to leave through fear.

Why were you fearful of your landlord if you left?

The environmental health department may have determined the flat uninhabitable if the building was that unsafe/broken. What did they say when they came out?

You had a choice to consider alternative options. 2 years suggests it was deemed acceptable if no action was taken.

A court would expect evidence as to why you didnt move/complain etc to be pretty strong
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure