Charles Stanley Direct to increase fee to 0.35%

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I suppose it's possible HL could put their price up at any time too?
    The thing with a percentage based fee is that the amount of money the platform receives will naturally increase with the value of investments under management (so it's pretty well inflation-protected), so there shouldn't really be much need to increase them. Unless, the original price was a loss-making promotional rate to build market share. It seems less likely HL would increase based on their profitability figures. They might need to raise the £45/year cap on platform fees for shares, ITs and ETFs though.

I would second iWeb as a credible alternative.
  • Already have IWeb but i like buying more when there is a dip and every now and then whenever I please and also IWeb don't have all the funds I want.... eg. LTGE is a big one.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    masonic wrote: »
    The thing with a percentage based fee is that the amount of money the platform receives will naturally increase with the value of investments under management (so it's pretty well inflation-protected), so there shouldn't really be much need to increase them.

Unless the investments held are index linked. There's no guarantee of that. People expect excellent customer service, software updates etc. All has to be paid for. Then there's the increased regulatory burden as well.

Might decide to change their target market as well. To discourage smaller investors from opening accounts.
  • masonic
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Unless the investments held are index linked. There's no guarantee of that. People expect excellent customer service, software updates etc. All has to be paid for. Then there's the increased regulatory burden as well.
    These factors primarily translate into salary, software and infrastructure costs, and are counterbalanced by increases in efficiency, assets under management and economies of scale. Assets under management will grow not only due to investment growth, but also due to increases in the disposable income of their clients.

Unless the cost of doing business increases for them more rapidly than clients' invested assets for a sustained period, they should be able to maintain their profit margin without hiking their percentage based fees. A change should be relatively rare, compared with hikes in the fees of those who charge a fixed amount per account.
    Might decide to change their target market as well. To discourage smaller investors from opening accounts.
    This IMHO is much more likely. HL cross-subsidises small investors to a high degree, presumably because of the inertia of them switching when their portfolios grow. This is another example of a loss leader and it would make most sense to address this imbalance in profitability.
  • Sue58
    Sue58 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The thing with a percentage based fee is that the amount of money the platform receives will naturally increase with the value of investments under management (so it's pretty well inflation-protected), so there shouldn't really be much need to increase them. Unless, the original price was a loss-making promotional rate to build market share. It seems less likely HL would increase based on their profitability figures. They might need to raise the £45/year cap on platform fees for shares, ITs and ETFs though.

I would second iWeb as a credible alternative.

However, if it the investment was for a SIPP then iWeb use AJ Bell so I’m not sure that would be more cost effective. I use Fidelity for my SIPP but only hold IT’s and the platform charges are capped at £45 per annum. I believe there is no charge for IT’s with ISA’s and GIA’s.
  • masonic
    edited 10 August 2018 at 7:34PM
    Sue58 wrote: »
    However, if it the investment was for a SIPP then iWeb use AJ Bell so I!!!8217;m not sure that would be more cost effective. I use Fidelity for my SIPP but only hold IT!!!8217;s and the platform charges are capped at £45 per annum. I believe there is no charge for IT!!!8217;s with ISA!!!8217;s and GIA!!!8217;s.
    Yes, holding ITs, ETFs and shares changes the balance - HL becomes a cheap option (although still rather expensive for a SIPP). To answer your question, AJ Bell is cheaper than iWeb in most scenarios for holding a SIPP, especially if you take advantage of the regular investing rate when buying.

I'm rather settled holding the bulk of my portfolio with II, but I won't recommend them as are lots of caveats associated with investing with them.
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ColdIron wrote: »
    iWeb are worth considering if ... they offer the funds you want, they don't appear to have Vanguard Global Small Cap.
    Are you referring to this fund? I hold units of it in my iWeb ISA.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    EdSwippet wrote: »
    Are you referring to this fund? I hold units of it in my iWeb ISA.
    Yes, that's the chap. I was looking at the UK listing not Ireland. Many thanks
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This IMHO is much more likely. HL cross-subsidises small investors to a high degree, presumably because of the inertia of them switching when their portfolios grow. This is another example of a loss leader and it would make most sense to address this imbalance in profitability.

Peter Hargreaves pretty much admits this in his book 'In For A Penny' where his original idea was to get a penny from everyone in the country so HL has a deliberately low barrier to open an account and get started.

Alex
  • ColdIron wrote: »
    Yes, that's the chap. I was looking at the UK listing not Ireland. Many thanks

What does small cap mean
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport