Pre employment credit check

Options
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has any prior knowledge or past experience they can share.

I've just received a conditional offer for a job at a bank, They have asked me too provide details of any time I have had a late payment or missed a payment in the last 6 years and anytime I have exceeded my overdraft in the last 6 years.

I've had a really good credit history for 7+ years, however due to personal circumstance (my partner vanishing and leaving overnight, leaving me suddenly liable for all our outgoings (rent, bills etc)) the last 6 months has been a bit ropey. I have no CCJ's , no IVA's, no defaults what so ever, however in the last 6 months I've had a few late payments whilst I've been trying to get things back together. I now have everything under control and there are no bills outstanding.

Does anyone know how the bank will look upon this ?

Cheers,
Ross

Comments

• PersianCatLady
    Options
    Have you thought about using something like Clearscore to find out what they say about your financial situation??

I think that you may be worrying unnecessarily here especially as you don't have any CCJs or IVAs.

Good luck
  • ross1994
    Options
    Have you thought about using something like Clearscore to find out what they say about your financial situation??

I think that you may be worrying unnecessarily here especially as you don't have any CCJs or IVAs.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply, I actually used Experian and Equifax to provide my answer to the bank as I couldn't recall last payments in the last year nevermind the last 6. I wanted to be absolutely accurate in the information I provide as I assume they will check on a system of sorts
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say but it is crazy to think that someone born in 1994 is 24! Makes me feel really old!

First of all, welcome to life! You can be the most perfect person in the world but a partner can (but not always, but usually more at the younger ages) really throw a curveball at you and/or screw you over.

Life lesson; protect yourself before you date a girl (I assume that "Ross" is a male name, but flip the advice if it is a female name/non hetro; blame political correctness), more so if you have the brains to get into a fairly comfortable role for your age! When you approach 30 the sexual endeavors appreciate the brains/status more than anything else, so you're quids in.

As for the issue at hand, I don't think the bank will have an issue. They will be more concerned about CCJs and beyond. They MAY query late payments and the like, but you have a solid explanation for that and all but the narrowest-minded of people would give you the benefit of the doubt there.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you are honest about the issues that caused it I should think you will be fine.
    I work in insurance and when I was applying I had the same type of questions- I was totally upfront and said my credit file was a mess due to having had 34 accounts defaulted and written off when I got cancer which left me permanently disabled and unable to return to my job. They were extremely understanding and said due to my extreme circumstances they would disregard what they found. It can end okay :)
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    I have to say but it is crazy to think that someone born in 1994 is 24! Makes me feel really old!

First of all, welcome to life! You can be the most perfect person in the world but a partner can (but not always, but usually more at the younger ages) really throw a curveball at you and/or screw you over.

Life lesson; protect yourself before you date a girl (I assume that "Ross" is a male name, but flip the advice if it is a female name/non hetro; blame political correctness), more so if you have the brains to get into a fairly comfortable role for your age! When you approach 30 the sexual endeavors appreciate the brains/status more than anything else, so you're quids in.

As for the issue at hand, I don't think the bank will have an issue. They will be more concerned about CCJs and beyond. They MAY query late payments and the like, but you have a solid explanation for that and all but the narrowest-minded of people would give you the benefit of the doubt there.

I am assuming that you were born in 1979 (like me)??

Do you think that it is really weird that you are going to be 40 next year? I definitely do.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I am assuming that you were born in 1979 (like me)??

Do you think that it is really weird that you are going to be 40 next year? I definitely do.
    10 years younger than that.

My username is misleading in that respect.

But, if I make it to 40, it will certainly be weird :rotfl:
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    10 years younger than that.

My username is misleading in that respect.

But, if I make it to 40, it will certainly be weird :rotfl:

Now I feel really old but luckily for me I don't act my age!!
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    ross1994 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I actually used Experian and Equifax to provide my answer to the bank as I couldn't recall last payments in the last year nevermind the last 6. I wanted to be absolutely accurate in the information I provide as I assume they will check on a system of sorts

To be honest, you sound like just the sort of person that would be an ideal bank employee.

Like PP have said, I think you are worrying unnecessarily.

Seeing as you have got your records from Equifax and Experian, why don't you go through them and make a note of any potential issues. Then if you are asked about them you will be prepared to explain your circumstances even though I think the chance of you being asked is extremely unlikely.

Good luck!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    From experience just be honest, but I think they look mainly at CCJs and beyond. Stop worrying! Good luck in the new job!
  • baggybreeches
    Options
    Hi, I work for a massive global engineering company. I always assumed that I had to have a credit check (and to be fair my credit rating over the past 10 years has been pretty shocking!) because I had a company credit card with a high limit. It's actually part of their ethics and compliance policy which means that I would not be in a position to be targeted for blackmail or industrial espionage (yesterday I sat through a presentation on entertaining US politicians :eek:)
    Good luck with the new job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport