Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If you are seriously considering this outfit as your bread and butter miss reading this thread at your peril!
  • Mike_by_the_Sea
    Options
    As Quentin said, if you have the time , read through some history, if not, just read the intro from Martin to get a flavour of the thread.

To try and answer your two initial questions......

1. It is very difficult to earn enough cashback to cover your bills unless the bills are very small to begin with or you spend a lot of money every month with cashback earning opportunities. For example, if you assume cashback rates of 5% you can quickly work out how much you would need to spend to cover you bills.

2. As above, there would be very few customers that fell into the zero or positive cashback bills.

Good Luck

Declaration - I am a "resting" Telecomplus distributor
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • PupPup
    PupPup Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you both for your answers.

I’ve been out of work for a month and having issues claiming UC/JSA so I am starting to feel a bit desperate to get back into work ASAP so that I don’t lose my home.

I’ve got Facebook friends who sell ‘Younique’ makeup and this is a similar model of MLM. They don’t ever seem to make any money and all they seem to want is to recruit more people to not sell the products. I’ve had reservations that it’s very similar to a pyramid scheme, and I know those were banned.

PupPup
    I have autism, so apologies if I come across as rude. It may just be my communication problems.
  • Rdg16
    Options
    We’ve recently bought a house where the previous owner had the electricity and gas meters removed. The electricity supplier was Utility Warehouse so I’ve had to use them to fit a new meter and so restore power. It still has no gas supply. An appointment was booked for Friday, I checked with UW in the morning that it was still okay and waited all day. When no one turned up I phoned UW again and was told there was no booking as they hadn’t received a new supply form. They had never sent this to me to fill in and by their own admission only phoned once to try and tell me and never left a message. They have managed to open an account for me and sent a first bill however. They have now said they can’t book another appointment for three weeks so no electricity supply until after Christmas. There seems to be no way of complaining until it’s gone on for 8 weeks and I’m not clear if this counts as a power cut.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 December 2017 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Rdg16 wrote: »
    We’ve recently bought a house where the previous owner had the electricity and gas meters removed. The electricity supplier was Utility Warehouse so I’ve had to use them to fit a new meter and so restore power. It still has no gas supply. An appointment was booked for Friday, I checked with UW in the morning that it was still okay and waited all day. When no one turned up I phoned UW again and was told there was no booking as they hadn’t received a new supply form. They had never sent this to me to fill in and by their own admission only phoned once to try and tell me and never left a message. They have managed to open an account for me and sent a first bill however. They have now said they can’t book another appointment for three weeks so no electricity supply until after Christmas. There seems to be no way of complaining until it’s gone on for 8 weeks and I’m not clear if this counts as a power cut.

So, extraordinarily, you bought a property (presumably as a cash purchase) with no electricity or gas connected.? :eek:

If the services are not connected, you cannot claim there is a any cut to those non-connected services.

It would appear you have gone into this purchase with your eyes firmly closed. :eek:

Why has a supplier sent you a bill for services they do not supply??? :huh:

Good luck!
  • SPlatten
    SPlatten Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've been with Utility Warehouse for almost a year now, when we had the initial survey done the prices looked good, we signed up and have a few mobiles on the package and also our landline and broadband. The electricity was the main reason for signing up, initially the price given was less than we were paying to EDF. Today I received an email informing me that there is a "Deficit" in the amount and that the new monthly payment will have to increase almost 3 times the original price.

Our usage has not gone up, so I'm really feeling that the initial figures supplied to us were not genuine and that we have been giving low figures to create a fault impression and get us to sign up.

I'm really not happy.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    SPlatten wrote: »
    I'm really not happy.
    I have to ask, did you check your bills through the year against usage and see any difference between the direct debit and what the actual costs were?

When I was with them, I had a variable DD and supplied readings every month so that I was always paid up to date.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • MrsShazbat
    MrsShazbat Posts: 768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am trying to help my friend who is in financial difficulty, get away from UW. She was signed up (taken advantage of) by someone who she used to work with who, I presume, became an ID. On top of her utilities, he also persuaded her to take out a SIM-only deal despite her already being on contract with O2 which included a landline number, neither of which she needed but which is costing her £8 p.m. on top of the ludicrous £83 p.m. for her electricity. She has now contacted them once by direct email and twice through the email/message form on their site and is yet to get a response. She can't afford to phone anything like a premium rate number as she only has her mobile phone. So how does she get a response? As an outsider, I certainly don't like the look of this organisation and personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole but all I'm doing is trying to help my friend who, sadly, is gullible and easily parted from her money.
    SPCNo.17 #20 (16 £678; 15 £1120.92; 14 £416.53; 13 £191.52; 12 £260.48; 11 £480.95; 10 £682.31; 9 £442.64)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MrsShazbat wrote: »
    I am trying to help my friend who is in financial difficulty, get away from UW. She was signed up (taken advantage of) by someone who she used to work with who, I presume, became an ID. On top of her utilities, he also persuaded her to take out a SIM-only deal despite her already being on contract with O2 which included a landline number, neither of which she needed but which is costing her £8 p.m. on top of the ludicrous £83 p.m. for her electricity. She has now contacted them once by direct email and twice through the email/message form on their site and is yet to get a response. She can't afford to phone anything like a premium rate number as she only has her mobile phone. So how does she get a response? As an outsider, I certainly don't like the look of this organisation and personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole but all I'm doing is trying to help my friend who, sadly, is gullible and easily parted from her money.

This might help with a number:

https://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php
  • Mike_by_the_Sea
    Options
    If your friend has or can use the SIM that you mentioned in your post they can phone...

Quote from Website 150 on their mobile to contact Member Services or call 0333 777 0 777 (Calls to 0333 numbers are free from a Utility Warehouse landline, or from any mobile as part of an inclusive call bundle; otherwise they are charged at standard national rates.)
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback