PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make your own ice cream

Comments

• don,t boil it just heat it to below boiling..i made a ice cream last night in my new £225 maker ,i used half pint double cream ,half pink milk,4 0z caster sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract..the ice cream turned out great but it was too sickly,,i only ate a bit..i don,t think i,ll use that recipe again
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I too am a bit heavy on the cream & vanilla pods, so suspect my recipe is just like yours. BUT, if you're doing it as a school project, why not try to get some of the class to make it via the "shake in a plastic bag full of ice method"? You could compare results & see which tasted best.
    I believe you put cream/milk in a plastic bag (tied tight!) & put that inside a larger plastic bag full of ice cubes (tied even tighter!) and shake until it thickens/freezes. I'm sure I've seen it on ready steady cook. You can probably google it for more info.
  • I have made ice cream with a class - we added salt to the ice using the double bag method. This lowers the temperature (you can really feel it) and will freeze the cream/milk/sugar/vanilla mix. I'm not sure that ice will stay cold enough for long enough without the salt.
    Stash Busting Challenge waiting for inspiration:D :j
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Lucie wrote: »
    I too am a bit heavy on the cream & vanilla pods, so suspect my recipe is just like yours. BUT, if you're doing it as a school project, why not try to get some of the class to make it via the "shake in a plastic bag full of ice method"? You could compare results & see which tasted best.
    I believe you put cream/milk in a plastic bag (tied tight!) & put that inside a larger plastic bag full of ice cubes (tied even tighter!) and shake until it thickens/freezes. I'm sure I've seen it on ready steady cook. You can probably google it for more info.

Yep this does work really well, add some salt in with the ice like chiefpossession says to take the temperature down even further (this freezing mixture goes down to -5-10 degrees). If you crush the ice a little bit rather than use big chunks this helps with the cooling too.
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • bigpaws23
    bigpaws23 Posts: 455 Forumite
    wow! This sounds like a really fun thing to do with the children. You learn something new every day :)

Thank you!
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I posted a great recipe for Christmas Ice Cream on the Xmas Meals thread and remembered this one which I use mainly in the summer but would be more suitable for children at Xmas. Good to have with Xmas pud , mince pies etc too. Dead easy to make BUT you do need REAL vanilla extract not essence.. I use the Madagascar one from Lakeland, expensive but it lasts ages.

Home Made Ice Cream

1 pint (570ml) double cream
    4 tablespoons milk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    10 level tablespoons sifted icing sugar ( Seems a lot I know but it doesn't taste too sweet)

Beat the cream and milk together in a bowl until the mixture has thickened slightly. Add the vanilla extract and icing sugar and mix gently until well combined. Pour into a tray or carton and place in the freezer for approx 1 hour or until the edges of the mixture have frozen. Empty back into a bowl and mix lightly then return to container and freeze until firm.

Voila !
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That sounds nice Elli. I would be interested in the Xmas Ice Cream. I have searched for it but can't find it. Do you have a link at all please?
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • Excellent :T real vanilla ice cream without eggs for my allergic dd -thank you Ellidee.

Would adding melted chocolate to it make a good chocolate ice cream do you think ? -or instant coffee powder for a coffee flavour :think:
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thank you for your comments ladies. I don't know how to do links but if you look on the Christmas & Special Occasions Board there is a thread called Christmas Menus. I posted the Xmas Ice Cream recipe there.

Thriftlady there is a variation on the Xmas recipe where you can replace the fruit & nuts with 140 g (5oz ) chocolate chips plus an extra 100g (4oz) chopped marshmallows. Omit the coffee and brandy but add an extra tablespoon of cocoa and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. HTH
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • I have placed a pdf file online for anyone to download,the site is ad free and makes no income whatsoever,if you wish to download 131 recipies for home made ice cream.Ok i know it's still winter but almost everyone loves ice cream.

https://www.3books.info
    Hello again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family