................................................. Neighbours extractor fan vents into our garden

Options
This has probably been mentioned before but i would like some advice please.

Our next door neighbour had problems with damp in her house she had extensive work done. She explained that her kitchen was very wet through condensation and would we mind having ventilation hole drilled through her brick extension wall into our patio area. My wife and i didn't feel there was a problem and was sympathetic. I think it was mentioned that a pipe would run from the wall our side and upward.

A builder arrived sometime after and a hole drilled nine foot above the ground four foot away from our back door. The hole was drilled from her side exiting into our patio.
An extractor cooker hood flexi kit was installed which vented onto our patio. The flaps are down in the closed position.

Every time my neighbour cooks a meal the flaps blow open and the strong smell of cooking and gas fumes blow around our patio. This rarely happens if my wife and i are in the garden.

We now own our house and spend more time gardening and playing with our 6 year old granddaughter. Sometimes these fumes would blow into our kitchen if our window was open during the warm weather.
i’ve been meaning to talk to the couple about it but we rarely see them. i’ve discovered she’s having treatment for cancer.

i feel conned that we are suffering air pollution so my neighbour could have a comfortable life and solve their condensation problem.

However, last year I unscrewed their outlet from our side of the wall and replacing it with a cowled outlet and screw it to the wall upside down so the fumes vent upwards.

There is still a cooking smell rises up if we have our bathroom window open.

I would like to fill the vent up altogether with expanding foam but should i inform her first. Or, should i seek legal advice as the smell and fumes is trespass onto our property?

Please advise.

should i fill the vent up totally with expanding foam? 18 votes

should i get legal advice as i believe the neighbour works for croydon council
22% 4 votes
77% 14 votes

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    U connection , upward pointing , length of pipe upwards and another u bend pointing back towards them to stop rain going down and send fumes the other way .
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Auburn wrote: »

I would like to fill the vent up altogether with expanding foam but should i inform her first. Or, should i seek legal advice as the smell and fumes is trespass onto our property?

Please advise.
    That would be criminal damage. And un-neighbourly. And mean.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    U connection , upward pointing , length of pipe upwards and another u bend pointing back towards them to stop rain going down and send fumes the other way .
    That's much better than just blocking the outlet up.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Options
    And any legal action would be expensive .

My method is the same method as a soil pipe vent , taking smells upwards and away. That methods worked fine for over 100 years.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know how much time has elapsed since they put the extracter in but surely you could talk to them, explain you didn't realise how intrusive the smell would be and suggest they correct it. It sounds like they were reasonable enough neighbours in the first place to ask before going ahead with the work, it seems to be they'd be open to suggestions. If they don't know there's an issue, they won't do anything to fix it.

Obviously, if you've left it 10 years to react, you might be on your own but you can't seriously be considering filling it with expanding foam!
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Options
    The foam idea isn't radical enough.

Install a grenade distributor that, every time they use their extractor, drops a grenade into their soup.
  • Jono111
    Jono111 Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As you have installed the cowled outlet upside down does it not funnel rainwater into her kitchen when it rains.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where is the gas smell coming from,surely the extractor is electric.
    I live in the country, the farmer has just spread pig muck on the fields it stinks,but nothing i can do.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    mobileron wrote: »
    Where is the gas smell coming from,surely the extractor is electric.

Neighbour perhaps has a gas cooker?
  • Omywordno1
    Omywordno1 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Do you smell what the rock is cooking.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure