Trapped For Ever by Green Star's incompetance?

How can I switch from Green Star when they can't give me a reliable usage figure?
Since joining in May 2017, I have been unable to get them to record the online meter readings regularly submitted online and all bills, bar one for Gas, have been based on their Estimates.
After repeatedly denying that there was any problem in the estimated levels of usage, it was finally agreed that a new meter HAD been installed at the house at some point: however, Green Star could not say exactly when, or whether they have based their estimates on the old meter or the new one.
Estimated gas usage in the 6 months to February 2018 was @900; the present Estimate online is 2333 but as of May 2019 the actual reading is @4800.
Promises of a visit to verify the meter and to take readings have repeatedly been unfulfilled.
I am terrified that a huge bill will be presented as and when it is discovered that the estimated readings are far too low.
In an 8th May 2019 telephone call, it appeared that someone was going to grasp the problem and a promise was given that they would DEFINATELY telephone me on 15th May with a full explanation and answer.
I waited in all day-for nothing.
Today, 16th May, I reluctantly telephoned again. No explanation or apology was offered.
Another visit was promised in 2 weeks. I explained that I wasn't prepared to be fobbed off yet again and requested that someone seize the initiative immediately. I was told by 'Jack' that that was not possible: he refused to offer any alternative resolution.
I would simply switch in favour of a competent firm but I am trapped by Green Star's incompetence cannot do so without knowing my actual usage and what my bill will be.
This situation has caused me untold worry and fear so that I am barely sleeping at all most nights and am fretful throughout the day.
I have today sent in an e-Complaint (although, having waited 10 minutes after pressing Send for the "Please Wait" message to disappear, I can't be certain it has reached them) and threatened to take this matter to the County Court for breach of contract and damages if Green Star cannot get its act together to resolve this issue by the 30th May 2019.

I can't afford to actually do that but hope that the threat might wake them up.

Otherwise, HELP!

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels Board

Your other post

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75817875&postcount=40
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Write by snail mail - don't phone, don't email - letter headed COMPLAINT.

Quote what info you have - dates, meter serial numbers, readings (I presume you have your own records).
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • JStewer
    JStewer Posts: 41 Forumite
    mickwelsh wrote: »
    How can I switch from Green Star when they can't give me a reliable usage figure?
    Since joining in May 2017, I have been unable to get them to record the online meter readings regularly submitted online and all bills, bar one for Gas, have been based on their Estimates.
    After repeatedly denying that there was any problem in the estimated levels of usage, it was finally agreed that a new meter HAD been installed at the house at some point: however, Green Star could not say exactly when, or whether they have based their estimates on the old meter or the new one.
    Estimated gas usage in the 6 months to February 2018 was @900; the present Estimate online is 2333 but as of May 2019 the actual reading is @4800.
    Promises of a visit to verify the meter and to take readings have repeatedly been unfulfilled.
    I am terrified that a huge bill will be presented as and when it is discovered that the estimated readings are far too low.
    In an 8th May 2019 telephone call, it appeared that someone was going to grasp the problem and a promise was given that they would DEFINATELY telephone me on 15th May with a full explanation and answer.
    I waited in all day-for nothing.
    Today, 16th May, I reluctantly telephoned again. No explanation or apology was offered.
    Another visit was promised in 2 weeks. I explained that I wasn't prepared to be fobbed off yet again and requested that someone seize the initiative immediately. I was told by 'Jack' that that was not possible: he refused to offer any alternative resolution.
    I would simply switch in favour of a competent firm but I am trapped by Green Star's incompetence cannot do so without knowing my actual usage and what my bill will be.
    This situation has caused me untold worry and fear so that I am barely sleeping at all most nights and am fretful throughout the day.
    I have today sent in an e-Complaint (although, having waited 10 minutes after pressing Send for the "Please Wait" message to disappear, I can't be certain it has reached them) and threatened to take this matter to the County Court for breach of contract and damages if Green Star cannot get its act together to resolve this issue by the 30th May 2019.

I can't afford to actually do that but hope that the threat might wake them up.

Otherwise, HELP!

How can you switch from Green Star when they can't give you a reliable usage figure?
    Simple. You don't need to know your usage figures to switch supplier.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Also bear in mind that there is a back billing rule https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-backbilling-your-rights

If an energy company doesn't bill you correctly for energy, and it's their fault and not yours, then they are not allowed to backdate their bills more than one year.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure