PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 December 2011 at 11:25PM
    Am humming and hawing about whether to spend some of this months budget on a bread maker. Please can anyone offer me any advice? The family get through a full sliced loaf every other day. What would be most economical?

I along with many others on this board have Panasonics and swear by them. They are a bit more expensive than some but are worth every penny. I got mine for my birthday, I asked for the money and people gave it to DH who went and got it for me.

There are a couple of threads on the board, i'll just go and find links for you.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1093331&highlight=panasonic+breadmaker

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=90998&highlight=panasonic+breadmaker

There are a lot more but that is the main one and another that is a chatty one. There are loads on the board you just have to do a search.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Am humming and hawing about whether to spend some of this months budget on a bread maker. Please can anyone offer me any advice? The family get through a full sliced loaf every other day. What would be most economical?

My 'old' machine makes a choice of a 2.5lb or 3lb loaf. Great for a family (used to be 4 of us, but the loaf generally disappeared within a few hours as my lads loved warm buttered bread :eek: ), but rises too tall to be of any use in a toaster.

It's only my 'old' one because those sizes are too big just for me, so I ordered a new one on 28th which arrived yesterday - and this one makes a choice of 1lb, 1.5lb or 2lb. Still likely to be too tall for the toaster if I make the 2lb (unless I slice them the 'wrong' way), but am going to try a 1lb and see how that does.

The old one's a Prim@, the new one's a M0rphy Rich@ards.
    Cheryl
  • theonlynuttytart
    theonlynuttytart Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 31 December 2011 at 11:37PM
    oooooh new thread! can i join please?

i was on the thread last year and sadly fell off the wagon (holds head in shame) and got caught up in house renovations and had an operation! so i let things slide but im back!!

My monthly spend ..... gulp.... can you put me down for £100 for January!
    ive got to live out of cupboards and freezer. If theres ever a war everyones coming to mine as we could live comfortably for months!

Starting to contemplate meal planning to see if that helps.

Must become more organised!! My mantra for 2012!
    Sealed Pot Member 1269 :D VSP... TO UPDATE!
    No more toiletries challenge..... Making progress! :T
    GROCERY CHALLENGE £100 January 2012 :j
    I MUST RESIST CHOCOLATE! WELL SOME OF IT ANYWAY!
    :EasterBun:EasterBun:EasterBun
  • I love my panasonic bread maker, but i am sure that lots of other breadmakers turn out great loaves too. Having said that, i always used to make bread by hand and then bake it. Its win win either way, because you are totally in control of the ingredients, shape etc.
    Every penny's a prisoner!

GC January £14.01/£100

Jan NSD's 4/15
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

Why not see if you can get a free one from freecycle or a cheaper one from a boot sale before you commit a proportion of your grocery budget? That way you can see if you're gonna get the benefit - it's far too easy to buy all the paraphenalia and get really excited and use it every day for a month and then relegate it to the back of a cupboard. Or, if you're like me, discover that you prefer to make bread by hand - I love the kneading and getting to grips with it.

But then I'm not one for gadgets for gadgets' sake. My mum on the other hand... :rotfl:

It is lovely waking up in the morning to the smell of freshly baked bread though!
  • Wow, only just found out this thread is up!! Spent the last two hours reading through and catching up! Think I'd better stop and have my dinner now...

Having been thinking about my annual budget. I need to have it split up into monthly bits, as otherwise I'd spend the whole lot by the end of this month! Having looked through fridge, freezer, cleaning cupboards, pantry, cupboard under the stairs, airing cupboard etc, I have realised that I won't be needing any loo rolls, washing powder, dishwasher stuff or indeed any other kind of cleaning stuff. I also have madly huge stashes of foodstuff, so I am revising my £140 for this month to £90. Sorry to make you change it, but I think this will help me with my annual budget, because I can allow myself more in months when I know I'll have to buy bulk-type things.

Dinner tonight is cheeses, crackers, homemade chutneys and other random stuff that needed using up from the fridge! (Went out for lunch so already had my main meal for the day.)

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • closemead
    closemead Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2011 at 12:06AM
    Please can I join aster failing miserably last year I am determined to succeed this year. Please can you put me down for £230 for january. This is for 7 of us dh and I , 5 kiddie winks 8,6,4,3 ,1 also 2 dogs and 2 cats. Wish me luck!
    March G.C. £300 fail 🙄
    April G.C. £380
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A whopping 13p spent today on an onion :rotfl:

I have currently got £85.29 left from a £200 budget. If I had any sense, I would have bought bread too as I got home and realised I had run out - d'oh! Tomorrow I'm going to figure out when my local Morrisons shuts for Hogmanay and try and time my reductions-run well so I can try and stock the freezer up a little.

Tonight for dinner I browned some chicken leg quarters (99p for two from Aldi) and then made a sauce:

Few squirts of low-cal cooking spray
    Browned some onion with some garlic granules.
    Added a carton of passata
    Added some mushrooms I froze the other day
    Added some peas

I poured this over the chicken quarters and whacked the mixture in the oven for about forty minutes - YUM!

The whole thing would have cost less than £2 for two of us too :money:
  • njk1012
    njk1012 Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Been to Mr T tonight to do the first weekly shop which came to £32.87. However I checked the missing clubcard voucher thing before I went and was gobsmacked to find out I had £16 to print off, so took them along with me. Money Is usually very tight in our house so use the vouchers at the next shopping trip after they are delivered so no idea how these were missed but I'm not complaining. Total spend £16.87 which apart from milk should last us a week also included was a reduced pack of 3 trunk underwear for my youngest which I have no budget for so is included in the groceries.
    Grocery Challenge Sept 2021 £95.40/£500
    Declutter and Clean - 66
  • Re breadmaker

I too got a Panasonic for my birthday and highly recommend. We have made a variety of loaves - white, whole meal, granary, malted fruit, pine nut and pesto and sunflower seed and honey. I also made pizza dough yesterday for the kids and that was very easy too and economical.

I only buy sm bread now if it is reduced to pennies to store in the freezer for emergencies. You have to be organised about putting a loaf on but once you get into a routine it is fine. The quickest loaf takes 2 hours.
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure