BT Sport price hike

So I got the latter last week saying my bill is going up by an extra £2 a month. My question is, does this price hike allow me to cancel mid contract without penalties ?
Thanks

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 May 2019 at 12:20PM
    Your letter should tell you .
    Really not sure about Sport as its an add on rather than the basic services .

So far no information found on any 2019 price rise .
    Question BT Sport when did the package start for Sport and how long for .
    I am wondering if this is just end of your current Sport package and new is £2 more .
  • takethemon
    takethemon Posts: 139
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have just the BT Sport package.
    It went up £2 to £27.99.
    Just rang up to cancel it. Persuaded otherwise.
    Now £17.99 per month on an 18 month contract and the price stays the same throughout.
  • revolver
    revolver Posts: 25
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How do BT decide how much to increase it by? My increase is £4 per month but I was only paying £3 anyway. I'm still not happy about it and have tried calling them to cancel but have been unable to get through as they are "very busy". Presumably lots of other people phoning to cancel!
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    revolver wrote: »
    How do BT decide how much to increase it by? My increase is £4 per month but I was only paying £3 anyway. I'm still not happy about it and have tried calling them to cancel but have been unable to get through as they are "very busy". Presumably lots of other people phoning to cancel!

I was probably one of those people I suspect. I got done and dusted in about 25 minutes

I was actually, calling to renew as that means (for me, anyway) that there will be no increase. I did have to take out a new 18 month contract but that's fine.

Slightly more annoying was that I was given the option to renew via the website but that wasn't working. Perhaps clogged up with other folks renewing?
  • revolver
    revolver Posts: 25
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I was probably one of those people I suspect. I got done and dusted in about 25 minutes

I was actually, calling to renew as that means (for me, anyway) that there will be no increase. I did have to take out a new 18 month contract but that's fine.

Slightly more annoying was that I was given the option to renew via the website but that wasn't working. Perhaps clogged up with other folks renewing?

If they offered me another contract at the same price then I'd happily take it! I find it a bit annoying that you have to phone to cancel but then can't get through. Someone on another post said that Sunday morning is a good time to phone BT so I'll try then.
  • Rgf
    Rgf Posts: 1 Newbie
    I received letter today advising £4.00 pm increase for MAX HD.
    As I took out new contract in Nov 18 called to ask why, told inflation, but if I want to enter a new contract it will remain same.
    So are existing customers paying inflation for all the 'new ' contracts?
    I said I would like same contract same price and told no.
    I asked to escalate and told I could complain.
    Asked to complain and told we enter a deadlock situation, they offer new contract so if not accepted tough. Now's that's a nasty commercial threat!
    I have raised complaint, and await BT letter in 3 working days.
    I am going to request transcript of my original Nov 18 call to review what was said and offered by BT, that is 18 months fixed contract.
    Anyone else had the same.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    takethemon wrote: »
    and the price stays the same throughout.

Are you sure?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    Forumite
    edited 20 June 2019 at 1:35PM
    Rgf wrote: »
    I am going to request transcript of my original Nov 18 call to review what was said and offered by BT, that is 18 months fixed contract.
    Anyone else had the same.

Bottom of all quotes and also adverts and on welcome email . Plus the reps all say it .
    See multiple identical price rise posts over the last three years.

#We may raise your prices at any time #
    Thats the contract you agreed to .

from sept 2018
    BT

.!!!916;We may change any prices and terms during your contract.

Same as BT contracts from 2019 have a built in price increase every march from 2020.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,951
    Forumite
    Ando83 wrote: »
    So I got the latter last week saying my bill is going up by an extra £2 a month. My question is, does this price hike allow me to cancel mid contract without penalties ?
    Thanks
    Cancel without penalty on a price rise is an OFCOM thing for phone and broadband, not sure it applies to TV subscriptions.

Imagine BT will be sure and will have briefed their call centre staff though.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm more concerned that we get BT Sport for 'free' but don't want it, never used it, and don't want to suddenly be charged for it.....
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport