What to replace ceiling heating with?

We are taking on a project. 1970s house in a village with no gas supply. The house currently has ceiling heating panels which are incredibly energy inefficient and which will need replacing with some other type of system. Most houses in the village have either oil-fired boiler and radiators or storage heaters. I really feel the cold so want a properly warm house but would like something eco-friendly if possible. I am not sure the oil-fired boiler is the beat long term option. I would be very grateful for any thoughts.

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Storage heaters IIWY.

You have a choice of electronic ones that will comply with building regs, (but will require expensive repairs when the electronics pack up) or second hand electro-mechanical ones from ebay.

My experience of Duoheat radiators in my rentals suggests going with the 2nd hand traditional storage heaters with maybe some direct heaters for bedroom and top up in living room.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 May 2019 at 2:44PM
    Air source or ground source heat pumps are more efficient than any other sort of heating. They are expensive to install, but there are subsidies for them.

But they will only really work in a well insulated house, as they put out a constant low heat. In a typical UK house, you'd struggle to keep the place warm.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 4 May 2019 at 3:06PM
    Hansodeon wrote: »
    We are taking on a project. 1970s house in a village with no gas supply. The house currently has ceiling heating panels which are incredibly energy inefficient and which will need replacing with some other type of system. Most houses in the village have either oil-fired boiler and radiators or storage heaters. I really feel the cold so want a properly warm house but would like something eco-friendly if possible. I am not sure the oil-fired boiler is the beat long term option. I would be very grateful for any thoughts.

What power source do the "incredibly energy inefficient" ceiling heating panels consume?

Afaik, almost all types of electrical heater are at least 100% efficient (almost)

As suggested above, only the likes of air or ground source heat pumps will be more efficient
    (i.e. they produce more heat than the electrical energy they consume, as they extract/pump existing heat from elsewhere)
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May 2019 at 3:14PM
    OP, have you looked at bulk LPG?

Firstly, check what price per litre your local suppliers are charging.

Anything around 30ppl will make it cheaper to run than oil and the boiler will be about half the price of an oil one.

You will need somewhere suitable to site the tank, but that is also true of oil. Also with LPG, the supplier usually installs the tank free of charge.

LPG also has lower CO2 emissions than oil and you never hear of thefts! :)

Certainly worth a look.

You may find this useful:

https://nottenergy.com/our-services/resources/energy-cost-comparison/
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As heat rises having the heat source on a ceiling is plain daft.

When renovating: Insulate. Insulate. Insulate. and draught proof.

You will need to overhaul wiring for storage heaters and maybe go to E7 if it's not there already. You will need to install tanks for LPG or oil plus radiators or UFH (if the floors can be insulated etc.,.). Not all homes have space for a LPG or oil storage tank that meet the restrictive buildings regulations, or extra costs are incurred for fire walls and the like.

WET heat pump systems can get subsidies and can work well if designed in from scratch with lots of insulation. Will need UFH and/or larger radiators to cope with lower circulating water temps, plus a Legionella regime for the HW tank via an immersion heater. Poorly designed and they can be as useless as the existing ceiling panel heaters!

Air to air heat pumps (air con in summer, fan heater in winter) may be another option worth looking at and pricing up for some rooms if not all.

You'll need to get costs (or do estimates yourself) for all the alternatives and the 'payback' period for any investment; compared to an all electric panel heater install.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

Your question has been posed dozens of times on this forum and there is no 'one size fits all solution'. If you search for the many threads in this section you will find varaitions of the points made in the posts above; although I don't recall seeing many suggesting LPG - most are trying to get rid of LPG.

A heating system that will suit, say, a retired couple who spend most of the day in the house, may not be the best solution for a family who are out at work.

You don't give your reasons why you are 'not sure the oil-fired boiler is the best long term option'.

Good luck!
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 4 May 2019 at 7:23PM
    Rodders53 wrote: »
    As heat rises having the heat source on a ceiling is plain daft....

With respect, it would appear you do not fully understand how such ceiling heating panels are designed to operate.

Most heaters, and indeed incorrectly termed radiators in a typical central heating system, operate primarily on the basis of convection.

That is the heat is transferred to the air, and hot air as you say rises... and so circulates in a closed room.

However, ceiling heaters work on a different basis, called radiation,

That is the heat is transferred via infrared waves. These can travel in all directions. Some of the large sheds, such as B&Q, often use such type of heating in winter to supplement their usual fan heating ... probably because the ceilings are high and as said, hot air rises.

The sun is perhaps the biggest radiator of heat we know ... and you know how hot that can be on a summers day, and that is coming from almost 100 million miles above us!

Actually the sun is fighting a constant battle when it heats the earth via radiation. Because as the earth's surface temperature rises due to the radation, then the air above it rises due to convection, allowing cooler air to rush in. That's why you often get to enjoy a cool coastal breeze whilst you are soaking up the hot sun's rays at the beach.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Cardew wrote: »
    If you search for the many threads in this section you will find varaitions of the points made in the posts above; although I don't recall seeing many suggesting LPG - most are trying to get rid of LPG.

A heating system that will suit, say, a retired couple who spend most of the day in the house, may not be the best solution for a family who are out at work.

Those trying to get rid of LPG are probably paying the likes of Calor and Flogas an exorbitant 50-60ppl. At 30-35ppl (which a number of people on here have achieved) it is very cost effective compared with oil and produces less CO2.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Those trying to get rid of LPG are probably paying the likes of Calor and Flogas an exorbitant 50-60ppl. At 30-35ppl (which a number of people on here have achieved) it is very cost effective compared with oil and produces less CO2.

I have seen your other posts on costs of LPG and at 35p a litre which is approx 5pence a kWh it is competitive with CH oil. Currently with Boilerjuice this costs approx 46p a ltre so approx 4.5pkWh

However I have been trying to find current quoted prices for LPG and can't find any approaching 35p/litre, and people in the LPG thread, to which you contribute, are also finding it difficult.

The reliable Nottingham Energy link you gave lists prices for March 2019 as CH oil at 5.62p/kWh and LPG at 6.86p/kWh. so LPG is 22% more expensive than oil.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure