Engagement ring question

Options
Hi all

We got engaged at Christmas and I struggled to find a ring as I have real issues with buying diamonds for ethical issues. I ended up with a sterling silver lab created sapphire ring, but the sapphire was a little big for her liking so have returned it. We have been looking since and finding it hard to find anything suitable. We have decided it will definitely be either a lab created diamond or clear sapphire. We don't really want precious metals such as platinum or gold for their non environmentally friendly background, from reading a bit more silver seems to have the same problems.

We looked at titanium but then would have the problem that it's unable to be resized and dangerous if a ring needs to be removed quickly if a finger swells. Ideally it would be a argentium sterling silver that has been recycled and a lab created gem.

Out of interest from reading up I have read that white golf and platinum plated rings can need re plating yearly?? This seems a bit bizarre if people are paying 000s for a ring and then paying to have it replated yearly.

Can anyone recommend a retailer that could supply a lab created diamond from argentium sterling silver? I am not having much luck looking online :(

Many thanks

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would you feel happier with an antique ring? Presuming you can find something you like, of course.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Would you feel happier with an antique ring? Presuming you can find something you like, of course.

Probably not as gem/precious metal miners would have had even worse working conditions than they do today, plus plundering of assets by nasty imperialist nations.

A Haribo would probably be safest. :p
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dannyjebb wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a retailer that could supply a lab created diamond from argentium sterling silver? I am not having much luck looking online :(

Many thanks

Why not buy a secondhand classic platinum diamond solitaire?

Anything you buy new is a drain on the worlds rapidly diminishing resources.
  • dannyjebb
    dannyjebb Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Never actually thought about second hand. Thanks I will have a look on the web :)
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations on your engagement! I think that's lovely :) I also won't wear diamonds for ethical reasons.

Have you thought about phoning a couple of independent jewellers, explaining what you would like and asking them to make you something?
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want the look of diamonds, you could investigate moissanite.

For the metal, would Welsh gold suit you? Or as suggested you could have something remade from older metal.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Saverule
    Options
    Moissanite is the way to go for you.
    It's a lab created gemstone, nearly as durable as a diamond without negating on scintillation. They now use this stone on drill bits, due to it's diamond-like qualities.
    I would purchase an individual stone from their online store, to be placed in an ethical setting of your choice by a reputable jeweler.
    Alternatively if you're anywhere near Hatton Garden, there are jewelers there who make one-off rings. I think they would be the best in helping you with your niche needs.
    Good Luck on finding THE ring and Congratulations on your engagement!
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    dannyjebb wrote: »
    Hi all

We got engaged at Christmas and I struggled to find a ring as I have real issues with buying diamonds for ethical issues. I ended up with a sterling silver lab created sapphire ring, but the sapphire was a little big for her liking so have returned it. We have been looking since and finding it hard to find anything suitable. We have decided it will definitely be either a lab created diamond or clear sapphire. We don't really want precious metals such as platinum or gold for their non environmentally friendly background, from reading a bit more silver seems to have the same problems.

We looked at titanium but then would have the problem that it's unable to be resized and dangerous if a ring needs to be removed quickly if a finger swells. Ideally it would be a argentium sterling silver that has been recycled and a lab created gem.

Out of interest from reading up I have read that white golf and platinum plated rings can need re plating yearly?? This seems a bit bizarre if people are paying 000s for a ring and then paying to have it replated yearly.

Many thanks
    My white gold wedding ring lasted 36 years years before I needed it cutting off as my finger had swollen. Never had it replated and it didn't need it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    borkid wrote: »
    My white gold wedding ring lasted 36 years years before I needed it cutting off as my finger had swollen. Never had it replated and it didn't need it.
    Mine lasted 18 months and was yellow.
  • Bumblebear
    Options
    I had a not entirely dissimilar experience, and ended up foregoing having a ring at all. I was concerned about the ethics behind diamond mining (there used to be a shop in Brighton I believe that only sold ethically mined diamonds?); and also about the cost to us personally (yes, I was being miserly). I have sensitive skin and can't wear gold everyday (gold! I ask you...) which limited us even more. A relative suggested a second hand ring which I liked the idea of very much, but then I have tiny hands and there are few rings out there in my size...

That ended up the bit of a rant, just echoing the ideas of others really. I have a platinum wedding band which is nearly a year old now :) I wasn't told anything about it needing re-plating, but then I went into the jewellers already knowing I was looking for platinum due to my skin issues. I was surprised how scruffy it got quite quickly, but then it depends what you do with your hands I suppose, I'm hardly a lady of leisure!

And of course, happy engagement :beer:
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family