Internet protection for teenage granddaughters?

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,162 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Dont mean to offend you but put simply you are not going to be able to control what your grandchildren do with a computer.

My parents tried what they could but one of the benefits of being a teenager is youre by default tech savvy and have a fantastic ability to learn quickly. Much quicker than the fogies around you trying to restrict what you can do.

I think you would be better educating them about the darker side of the internet as opposed to trying to keep them from it.

We dont teach kids not to make fires, we teach them not to get burned.
    Very true, I agree absolutely, but still feel that in addition I have to take any steps available to protect them as far as I can, or I will lose my Grandma badge .
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    spadoosh wrote: »
    I think you would be better educating them about the darker side of the internet as opposed to trying to keep them from it.

We dont teach kids not to make fires, we teach them not to get burned.

I second this ^

At some point in their lives, they will be exposed to the risks - give them the tools to spot trouble and they'll stay safe whatever age they are.
  • Misslayed
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Unless you physically remove the camera I would be very surprised if they can't quite easily work out how to enable it again.
    Dot of superglue over the lens? I probably won’t actually do this!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Mojisola
    Misslayed wrote: »
    Dot of superglue over the lens? I probably won’t actually do this!

Except when I'm using the camera, I have the lens covered - that's one the tips children should be taught.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Very true, I agree absolutely, but still feel that in addition I have to take any steps available to protect them as far as I can, or I will lose my Grandma badge .
    You may find the Grandma badge being replaced by the interfering old bag badge and that you may find that they don't want to see you as much or that their mother prevents you from seeing them.

Ultimately at the end of the day YOU ARE NOT THEIR PARENT and you need to remember that. There's a fine line between being seen as helpful and being seen as interfering.
  • Misslayed
    Thank you for your contribution.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    I’m confident the older more able teen isn’t determined and the younger one isn’t capable (or couldn’t be bothered if she hit an unexpected obstacle). But I need to feel I’ve done all I can.

I remember as an 8-9 year old, tearing through various restrictions, both school and my parents put onto my machine. By the age of 13, they'd given up (and school had nearly expelled me, but we'll gloss over that for now). It was significantly harder to circumvent measures back then as well, seeing as the internet was basically via a single point of access for most people.

If you stick a block via your router or ISP, then they'll just tether their phone via WiFi. If you disable the WiFi then they'll do it via a USB cable. If you disable tethering on their phone then they'll simply circumvent it via their phone. If you run a piece of net nanny software, they'll quickly work out a way to close it. There is always a way, trust me, even for a non-elevated user. Might take them a day, might take them an hour, but they'll eventually work out a way.

Education, as someone has said above, might be more valuable here. Kids don't want to be told.... and kids are curious, but I think at the age of 15, your granddaughter might be able to pass on your wisdom to her little sister, so I would aim to get through to her rather than 'block' the internet.
  • Mojisola
    Stoke wrote: »
    Education, as someone has said above, might be more valuable here. Kids don't want to be told.... and kids are curious, but I think at the age of 15, your granddaughter might be able to pass on your wisdom to her little sister, so I would aim to get through to her rather than 'block' the internet.

And let them both know that if they come across something that worries them or they do something that they later realise they shouldn't have done, they can come to you and explain and that you'll help them sort it out rather than go ballistic.
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Unless you physically remove the camera I would be very surprised if they can't quite easily work out how to enable it again.
    On Dell and Toshibas laptops that I have seen you can disable it in the bios. On my Samsung not. Also you can go to the drivers and stop it there too.

Unsure if you can also disable it via group policy on Home Edition? To modify a cutdown version GP, you will have to download an MS addon GP addon, and it lets you do the basics.

i am fairly confident, with a bit of tweaking that camera can be prevented from working.
  • Misslayed
    I realise teens are eleventy million times more tech savvy than me, they teach me how to use my phone, do Instagram etc. But that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try to prevent them seeing ‘stuff’ that can’t be unseen. I have to do my best for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure