IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Call for Action - submit evidence of private parking rip-offs Which? Magazine now!

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I would suggest another minor change to the title as to me it looks like you are asking for help with your own problem, not telling people that this is a call to arms to get Which? Magazine involved in investigation parking scams.

Perhaps put the words Which? Magazine in different coloured text, or at least something that makes it obvious that you are talking about the magazine.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    I would suggest another minor change to the title as to me it looks like you are asking for help with your own problem, not telling people that this is a call to arms to get Which? Magazine involved in investigation parking scams.

Perhaps put the words Which? Magazine in different coloured text, or at least something that makes it obvious that you are talking about the magazine.

We need to firstly see if they get involved.
    It would indeed increase their credibility
  • Done - here's hoping...
    The private parking industry.

This industry is currently an unregulated scam, ripping off thousands of consumers each year and clogging up the courts system with completely spurious claims.

Currently the industry is toothlessly self-regulated by two supposedly 'independent' bodies, the BPA and the IPC, both of which rely on private parking companies to fund them and therefore have a vested interested in keeping said companies 'on side'.

The worst of these, the IPC, is owned by the same two individuals who own Gladstones Solicitors, the 'roboclaim' solicitors supporting private parking companies and responsible for around 50% of the litigation flooding the courts, they also own the 'IAS', the supposedly 'independent' appeals service offered by the IPC. Judge, jury and executioner.

The business is legalised extortion. PPCs take any excuse for dispensing a ticket and then threaten to take the consumer to court for fees of around £250. If it gets to court the PPC makes their case by automated letters and statements that take no time to produce, whereas the average consumer (providing they have the gumption to fight it) can spend many hours fighting their side. I have spent at least 24 man-hours researching and preparing documentation for one such case.

It doesn't matter to the PPCs if they lose as they aren't significantly penalised for doing so and the threat of court is enough to deter the vast majority of consumers from taking them on.

There have been cases of consumers ticketed for parking in their own residential spaces, parking whilst they simply stopped to read signs telling them the parking terms, parking on land where the PPC wasn't even authorised to operate, even for waiting in a queue to get through a barrier into a car park! Many of these tickets are issued at hospitals where people are particularly vulnerable.

Please do something about this unregulated scam industry.
  • beamerguy
    A MUST DO .... bumped up
  • Fruitcake
    Two of my family members have also responded, plus my own submission. Another family member has agreed to do the same, so I think we should all be asking friends and family to help if they have been affected by these scams.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Bump again, so others also tell Which? about their experiences. I want them drowning in these cases, like we are!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Fruitcake
    Bumping again.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Bumping again.

... and again.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    and again...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • beamerguy
    Todays big bounce

Explain to the Which Magazine why the great parking
    scam should be regulated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income