Cost to replace springs and top mounts

Hi,

One of the front suspension coils snapped on my 1.6 TDCi Fiesta.
The garage originally quoted £90+vat to fit a new one but said it needed to be done in pairs (fair enough).

Once the job was underway they then said the top mounts also needed replacing (something about the bearings having fallen apart on the collapsed side).

So total cost to supply and fit 2 x springs and top mounts = £300, is this a good price?

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Depends, if you could do it yourself then no, have you asked other garages to get a comparison?
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    A quick search online shows you could buy the parts for about £150.

I would guess 2-3 hours labour to fit them.

Price quoted sounds about right, not cheap but also not extortionate.
  • Thanks.
    I did contact another local garage over the new year but their email address was invalid.
    As the garage used has a good rep and i've used them before and it was urgent I just went ahead and booked it in. I've been happy with their work in the past, but the last couple of times they seem to find additional bits to add on to the original quote (in this case top mounts, previously when a brake caliper failed the MOT they also replaced brake pads which they originally said looked ok).
    Have emailed a couple other garages today just out of curiosity, will post the results if I hear back from them.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    I did my rear one on my Corsa D myself.
    Got a really good one for only £10 from my local breakers yard. surprising how cheap the coil spring compressors are from , say, Amazon
    .I would nt be bothered about doing them in pairs
    Its a "doable " job for anyone who capable of changing their own wheels and oil etc
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    corum_uk67 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I did contact another local garage over the new year but their email address was invalid.
    As the garage used has a good rep and i've used them before and it was urgent I just went ahead and booked it in. I've been happy with their work in the past, but the last couple of times they seem to find additional bits to add on to the original quote (in this case top mounts, previously when a brake caliper failed the MOT they also replaced brake pads which they originally said looked ok).
    Have emailed a couple other garages today just out of curiosity, will post the results if I hear back from them.

Perhaps through the passage of time, parts on your car are deteriorating hence they are finding more problems. Also, regards the brakes they may as well replace the pads if the caliper is already off. It wouldn't have cost much more in labour and the price of the pads would have been minimal.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

For future reference I really wouldn't bother emailing garages if you want to get a reply. Phone and you can discuss it with them directly.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jlemaitre
    jlemaitre Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    £300 is average, but you do mention top mount bushes. These are quite cheap. You dont mention what Fiesta it is( MK1-8).

My MK7 Fiestas' OSF spring snapped while going over those stupid speed humps I have at work(over the years they must have caused stress to the spring) recently.

The springs was replaced in pairs, More recommended to do in pairs to be fair. I paid my local garage £200 all in using genuine Ford springs.

Hopefully that should help you out with a rough price guide... But of course it does depend on how well the job goes on the day
  • Gutted. just had a response from one of the other garages who are also a member of the 'good garage scheme'. Total price including VAT would have been £198.30.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    who are also a member of the 'good garage scheme'

Means nothing.
  • i used one of those on the "good garage scheme". Never again, they will tell you something needs doing in your car when in fact, there isn't any. Run away from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure