Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kram wrote: »
    Hi january2015,

Great to see you back on the forum. :j

Amazing how much you have cleared off your debts.

I am going to read through your diary to pick up some tips / ideas. :j

Wishing you & everyone on the forum a peaceful new year.

K

Hi

My diary hasn't been updated for.... well since forever!

Biggest tips I can give are to go self managed, to pay as little as possible to creditors to enable you to save for F&Fs, to chase down CCA agreements (only one paid off for us, but that was almost £11k off our debt balance in one hit).

Finally, don't fall into the trap of thinking you can live a life with spare money - make sure you save that money for F&Fs. I have to admit for a few months we made use of every penny and didn't save for F&Fs, but in our defence we had family issues to deal with and it was just nice to be able to have funds immediately available when we needed them - we weren't deliberately using money we should have saved for F&Fs but it showed me how easy it would be to just fall off the wagon and spend money again :(

Hopefully family now sorted and we can get on with debt busting with a vengeance :T
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Rebeccadougherty
    Options
    Hi all :)
    I’ve nearly paid 3,00 now, via my step change DMP -yay :D it feels so good. But my savings don’t seem to be going up, there always seems to be something coming up ie vet bills etc and my boyfriend and I will be moving to Northampton in the summer because of his job. I don’t want to tell him about my debt as I am quite ashamed of it.
    What I want to ask is..... I’ve read about people going self managed, paying as little as possible. What I don’t get though is surely they will see you have more money spare and could continue paying the step change amount. I just don’t understand how you do it. I don’t know if that makes sense.... sorry!
  • Rebeccadougherty
    Options
    That should be nearly 3,000 lol. I had several reduced payments as well. :/
  • Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just asking what are CCA and I&E ? I'm ok with F&F now I've worked out it's not Florence and Fred from Tesco's
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • January2015
    Options
    Dorastar wrote: »
    Just asking what are CCA and I&E ? I'm ok with F&F now I've worked out it's not Florence and Fred from Tesco's

CCA stands for consumer credit agreement - the agreement signed when opening a credit account.

I&E stands for Income and Expenditure. Creditors and Debt Collection Agencies (DCAs) ask for one when clients enter DMPs or other debt solution options. Once on a DMP creditors often ask for regular updates - once settled into a DMP this becomes a yearly thing.
  • kram
    kram Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

My diary hasn't been updated for.... well since forever!

Biggest tips I can give are to go self managed, to pay as little as possible to creditors to enable you to save for F&Fs, to chase down CCA agreements (only one paid off for us, but that was almost £11k off our debt balance in one hit).

Finally, don't fall into the trap of thinking you can live a life with spare money - make sure you save that money for F&Fs. I have to admit for a few months we made use of every penny and didn't save for F&Fs, but in our defence we had family issues to deal with and it was just nice to be able to have funds immediately available when we needed them - we weren't deliberately using money we should have saved for F&Fs but it showed me how easy it would be to just fall off the wagon and spend money again :(

Hopefully family now sorted and we can get on with debt busting with a vengeance :T

Thanks for the tips, I was considering the self manged route & cca's etc but the only thing that is stopping me is that I'm due to renew my mortgage next year & did not want to cause any problems with the renewal. Am I being over cautious about this.

K
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    CCA stands for consumer credit agreement - the agreement signed when opening a credit account.

I&E stands for Income and Expenditure. Creditors and Debt Collection Agencies (DCAs) ask for one when clients enter DMPs or other debt solution options. Once on a DMP creditors often ask for regular updates - once settled into a DMP this becomes a yearly thing.

Nice to see you back jan !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • torheb
    torheb Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi just after a bit of reassurance we started our dmp with sc in May last year it has ran pretty smoothly just a few hiccups with wescot which got finally sorted last week - now this week next have sent a letter saying we have finished our 6 month reduced payment plan and terms resume back to normal - they have added interest again and I’m getting emails and texts about paying them the full minimum payment - I think sc have recently sent a letter to everyone reaffrirming our situation should I wait a week and see what happens or should I search for an email address for next and contact them directly - I thought things were finally all settled and going well then another spanner is thrown in the works!
  • leanne12345
    Options
    Hi, haven't posted on here for a while but wondering if anyone has any experience with Very/NCO. I've read a lot of people saying they are rubbish for defaulting etc.
    I have been paying token payments for 6 months but received a letter saying they wanted to review it so I replied saying circumstances haven't changed so I will continue to pay £1.
    They have now started again with the phone calls (which I've blocked) and adding interest on again. My plan was just to ignore them completely until they default now as these are my only creditor not to default but just want to check I'm doing the right thing?
    Thanks
  • January2015
    Options
    Hi

Well I've sat down and really hammered my budget (the actual budget and not the one I send through to creditors ;) ).

I reckon we can live off food in the freezer for at least two months. So grocery budget is just £60 p/mth for January and February. That's for basics like bread and milk etc. I was going to try for £50 p/mth but I think I will need the extra tenner for the fruit and veg. I will be pleased if I achieve that target :)

Unfortunately our gas and electric has gone up. We renewed through the MSE energy club just before Christmas, but I guess energy costs are increasing and I will just have to live with that.

Other increases include house insurance and car insurance. So frustrating. It would be nice if they came down in cost after yet another year of not making a claim (well house insurance did cover the boiler replacement last summer so I guess I accept that one would increase).

We changed vehicles last summer and the new (er.... not new but replacement) car is only £20 a year on vehicle tax - *R*E*S*U*L*T* - so that's a lovely saving (which I haven't told creditors about ;) )

Overall we are doing okay and have long since learnt to live within our budget - why, oh why couldn't I have learnt this 30 years ago :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure