Anyone tried Share Dealing?

Not sure this is correct place, or even if should ask as it's not technically saving money!?!

Has anyone ever tried Share Dealing? I'm talking less than £500-1000 slush fund for trying it out, trying to maker a little money?

I know and understand the risks of losing it etc but wonder if anyone tried it and has made money, or is £500-1000 really too low to do anything with and pointless as even if get gains they will be very small?

I've signed up to Halifax, it's a £12 fee to buy and same to sell so obviously any profits need to take this in to account as well.

Looking at big companies like Google, Apple etc the shared each, take Apple, are around £120 each so the £500-1000 invested wouldn't buy many shares and so profit would be low.

So I presume you have to go for lower cost share prices and buy more to get better return?

Interested if anyone done this or should I be booted off MSE as this is spending money :rotfl:

Thanks

Comments

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    You are being seduced by the dark side...invest some time on reading threads on here before gambling your money.

But to correct one point... the dealing costs you quote would be 2.4% of your investment, so (ignoring any dividends gained during your holding period) you will need a share price rise in excess of 2.4% to cover your costs. That maths doesn’t change whether you hold 1 share at £1,000 or 1,000 shares at £1 each.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The only way I 'deal' is buy, hold long term, enjoy dividends and long term capital growth. Very occasional pruning and replanting.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

and it doesn't matter if you buy shares at 10p, £10 or $100, a 10% rise or fall in value is still 10%.
  • lluzers
    lluzers Posts: 133 Forumite
    MrMrMr wrote: »
    Not sure this is correct place, or even if should ask as it's not technically saving money!?!

Has anyone ever tried Share Dealing? I'm talking less than £500-1000 slush fund for trying it out, trying to maker a little money?

I know and understand the risks of losing it etc but wonder if anyone tried it and has made money, or is £500-1000 really too low to do anything with and pointless as even if get gains they will be very small?

I've signed up to Halifax, it's a £12 fee to buy and same to sell so obviously any profits need to take this in to account as well.

Looking at big companies like Google, Apple etc the shared each, take Apple, are around £120 each so the £500-1000 invested wouldn't buy many shares and so profit would be low.

So I presume you have to go for lower cost share prices and buy more to get better return?

Interested if anyone done this or should I be booted off MSE as this is spending money :rotfl:

Thanks

can you try predicting roulette numbers?There is no difference.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Each time you buy shares you also have to pay Stamp Duty of 0.5%.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lluzers wrote: »
    can you try predicting roulette numbers?There is no difference.
    Roulette numbers are more predictable than short-term stock movements - they're always in the range 0-36.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

mmm, black or red, odd or even?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 October 2017 at 1:41PM
    Yes you might be better on the gambling or trading forums - we investors like to see a fair risk adjusted return.

If you really need to get rid of some excess money then please PM me and you can sponsor my son. Every 6 months I will get him to write you a letter to describe how he has spent your money. When he is grown up this memory might confuse him but I will sit him down and explain what you would have otherwise done with the money.

Now there's nothing wrong with using your new Halifax Share Dealing account for long term fund investing - I have my SIPP with them. Look to make regular payments into funds and the cost per trade goes down to £2 and you will pay no direct stamp duty.

Alex
  • lluzers
    lluzers Posts: 133 Forumite
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    Roulette numbers are more predictable than short-term stock movements - they're always in the range 0-36.

If he learns by experience , after failing to time markets on buying entries , he can start teaching everybody else how to trade .There is hope he can recover all his trading losses by selling education on trading forums , to new wanna be traders.
  • MrMrMr
    MrMrMr Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I knew the negative comments but this is an account/money that has been saved and just to try out almost.

I understand it's MSE so was unsure whether to post on here.

So would I have to tell the taxman every sale I do if there is a profit? How do you do this?

Regarding dividends how often are these given, it is a standard, or once a year, continuous, so if buy and they give dividends you benefit straight away?

Understand the 1 share, 10% increase, was bad example from me. I just thought if buying Apple at £120 would only get say 8 shares for £1000, just wondering if better to get more shares from another company to spread better or not?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport