Listening to radio

I’ve got an ancient HiFi setup that I seldom use that has gothic separates ie. amp, wired speakers, tuner, CD player, cassette player...

How do people listen to radio at the moment? I think I need to buy Bluetooth speakers, or a single Bluetooth speaker, but to play radio from what?

Thanks

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I use a basic DAB radio, which does me fine. Speakers in these modern small units are pretty good. I imagine that someone who is more into their music quality might want something better.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Stream to my Amazon Echo
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    roytom wrote: »
    I’ve got an ancient HiFi setup that I seldom use that has gothic separates ie. amp, wired speakers, tuner, CD player, cassette player...

How do people listen to radio at the moment? I think I need to buy Bluetooth speakers, or a single Bluetooth speaker, but to play radio from what?

Thanks

I'm mainly around my pc upstairs but I use a soundstream 93i, the sound from it is very good, like you I have a tower of seperates including AV and minidisc,, when I get around to having the house refurbed, I will just keep an network reciever amp and speakers.
  • Spelunthus
    Spelunthus Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    I too have an old, but good, separates HiFi system. I have a little Bluetooth gadget (make is Logitech). It outputs to phono plugs, which go to my amplifier AUX sockets. Using this I can stream internet radio from phone, tablet or Amazon Dot. Or play downloaded music from tablet and phone. Ticks all the boxes for about £15.
  • Broadwood
    Broadwood Posts: 706 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If I'm on here (desktop) I usually listen to any BBC station or Planet Rock on headphones while the wife has the TV on in the living room. The Flac lossless trial (Firefox browser only) on BBC R3 which ended when the 2017 Proms finished was the best radio sound I've ever heard but I never got round to wiring the hi-fi up to the pc sound output to try it on floor-standing speakers. Still sounded excellent on Sony headphones though.

If the wife is out and I want the radio on speakers in the living room I have the Freeview recorder wired to the big hi-fi via phono leads. I think Freeview radio is at least as good quality as DAB. Just a pity Planet Rock isn't on Freeview yet.
    Never trust a financial institution.

Still studying at the University of Life.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I listen to the radio on my ancient HiFi setup that has gothic separates ie. amp, wired speakers, tuner, CD player (no cassette any more).
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sonos speakers around the house.
  • I also have a system with separates. Though I get my radio through the Sky box, which then goes through the amplifier to the speakers down wires.

Sadly none of it has a particularly gothic feel, though my main speakers (KEF 104AB) are 40 years old now. The amplifier is newer and can do 9.2 channel audio, take 4K HDMI inputs etc. But it's all still separates.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have freesat from Sky and mostly listen to radio using this, via a very old Sky box. Only really listen to talk radio, so not much bothered by audio quality, though it's better via the Sky box than on DAB.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    roytom wrote: »

If the tuner still works, why not use that, since you have (probably) an amp and speakers that will outperform most all Bluetooth speakers.

Failing that, any phone or pad with an internet connection will pick up any BBC station through their iPlayer Radio app, or all manner of Internet Radio Stations through its web browser ..... a freeview, Sky or cable box will also fulfil the role, as mentioned above
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure