PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am making a very big effort to use candles as a keep-warm and cheeriness factor. I`ve put candle sand in votive holders and plonked tealights in them, I must have a couple of hundred and dinner candles, one at a time in a wee willie winkie holder inside a very tall lantern with a metal top. The top gets warm, like a heater.

Three unused tall tealight lighthouse type holders are out as in KM, far too big for what they do, I also have three neat colourful holders for votives and they can do both jobs

What I do like is the fact, actual fact, that removing things leaves the equivalent volume of free space and it doesn`t half add up. Oh and yes, the karma woo :D I got a nice tax rebate this week

re very sentimental things like drawings, baby clothes, toys etc. We kept an awful lot of that and none of the children wanted any of it. They went a few years ago and I have never regretted it
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    They do bring me joy not many outfits for each baby just a couple.half a gift bag. Ill hang on.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I spoke to my parents yestereve and was told that they'd done a dump run and the last of the three hoarded windows from their house-before-it-had-double-glazing has now gone. As well as some misc metal and plastic and green waste. Feeling the wooo.... :rotfl:

Mum also told me she'd seen a very nice blouse in Sainsbugs, only £18, very pretty, and been tempted. Then she'd told herself that she wouldn't wear it as it doesn't have the three-quarter length sleeve she favours, and so she passed on it. She was pleased with her decisiveness.

She also (gleefully!) told me that she's almost given up ironing anything and found that the world still turns and that nobody notices or cares. The joy of pensionerhood, hey? I've only been trying since my teens to get her to do less - preferably nil- ironing. Result!

Been busy at work and doing other things. Just prepped some recycling to go out and am getting some Stuff off the wall unit. Am inspired by the fact that the family are coming over on Sunday for a few hours. I can just about seat the four of us but only if I bring my extra folding chair up from the storage shed, and any bags/ coats are dumped on my bed. Oh, and I'll get the extra mugs out from the cupboard as I only have one on the go at a time.

Many of the things in my life are to be kondo'd by natural attrition, by wearing them out, rather than getting rid and then re-buying a little way down the line. It means that I should end up with fewer of everything from pillowslips to towels to face flannels and time goes on. The goal will be to have a smaller inventory of everything, now I know how long things last and that I need relatively few examples of each category.

All I need to achieve is the ability to silence the anxiety about not having Enough and the excessive tendancy to spave by bulk buying - wish me luck. :o
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Tackling clothes today - again - because my wardrobe needed a major sort out and season-turn-around. 4 items + 1 handbag on the 'out' pile so far. Also, some Summery tops will be going on holiday with me later this month and not making the return journey :D Will finish it off tomorrow. There are also some (impractical) shoes which I love but am unlikely to wear again. On the basis they make me smile when I open their boxes, though, I am going to keep them :D

Half a dozen books were read and passed on last month. One more so far this month, with another likely to be finished by weekend. I need to identify some in my 'to read' pile to go on holiday with - they will also not be making the return journey! :D

Carrier bag full of excess toiletries and food (mainly 'free' (ie: brought back from camp/ expeditions by DS1) ration pack food items - so complete, long life meals which are already cooked) gone today too to Harvest Festival. Some of the food would have been eaten eventually - but only because I dislike waste - far better to pass it on where it may be of more use :)

Am also using up several tealights most nights/ week now - cheery and warm-looking :) (Plus I have several hundred to get through.......)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 9:08PM
    Kondo'd a large beech hedge back to tidy! Also, a rose hedge, several shrubs and 4 trees whipped into shape.
    Did a bit of reverse kondo-ing by buying some sandals in the sale -they are the same footbed as my all time favourite pair that finally gave up the ghost last year so I was delighted to find them :)

Tomorrow we are kondo-ing paperwork - a little bonfire, a sort of bonfire-ette, will do the trick :D

ooh, we love tealights, makes winter seem so cosy.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    3 bags of 'stuff' to the CS today. I also have a bag for the homeless shelter, but need to organise a drop off and I'm not sure which one I'll take it to. It's full of towels, airline amenity packs/hotel toiletries and a few fleeces, all of which should be useful.

I'm working my way through the opened hotel toiletries, but have got very low on quite a few things, so stocked up in TKMaxx today. I visit every few months and stock up, but only on things I would normally buy full price. I now have plenty of moisturiser, body lotion, shower gel and bubble bath.
  • Upsy Staffordshire your post really sparked joy for me! It's great to hear from someone who's feeling the benefits. While I did complete the whole process, or so I thought, I still find pockets of 'kipple' (in GQs words!) that need sorting out. And things that made the first cut suddenly seem superfluous next time around. Every time I clear a little area that's built up I can see a future where I never have to do it again.

Greent I have a lovely pair of shoes with a matching bag that I wore for my niece's wedding - I don't think I've worn them since, but I love them and they make me smile. Ahem, my niece got married 12 years ago but they're a classic style so I'm keeping them!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • minnie2
    Tomorrow is completely sort one room out day!!! i also need to pick up new massager for my back and pick up medication from drs.so i wont have long as the nursery run pick ups starts at 2.15. If the massager helps with being in the car i may also attempt to drop a few light things off at a charity shop but ill have to see how i feel.

Havent decided which room as yet.....the last bit of my sons room will involve checking that all the pieces are there, to a million puzzles.it has to be done at some point i know
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • firebubble
    firebubble Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Minnie2, it sounds as if you're powering through your house!

Re children's clothes, get them out and have a good look at them...even when washed and put away clean, stains seem to appear when they are stored for years, so that might make the decision easier if you're looking to cull any.

Baby clothes are only sentimental to mothers, not the children who wore them, probably because the babies don't remember. Even if you want to pass them on to be worn by your grandchildren, really no one wants to put their beautiful new baby in old, musty and even stained clothes, so I haven't actually seen any of my friends or family gasp with delight at 30 year old baby clothes, lovingly preserved by Grandma... it's harsh, but in the same way that you probably enjoyed making or choosing these clothes new, your children will want to do the same thing, not have to pretend to be grateful for a box of old stuff. I think it's the same with wedding dresses - women save them, thinking how lovely it will be for their daughters to wear them, but this is actually horribly selfish, because it's imposing your choice on your daughter, with a whole bundle of guilt added in around not offending mum...

Also, re your son's puzzles, there is a simple solution - sit down once a week with him and do a puzzle. If he doesn't ever want to do a puzzle, or if he loses interest before finishing it, you've got your answer and the puzzle that he's not interested in can go!

GreyQueen - I'm wondering about getting rid of my ironing board. I absolutely loathe ironing boards (I'm left handed, so always seem to trap my fingers), and as a result, I have designed my life so that I never iron anything apart from very very rare occasions...even then, I spread it on my bed and iron there. It must be at least 2 years since I got the ironing board out... But I keep thinking, what if I suddenly need to start ironing, and what happens if I don't have the ironing board?!! :rotfl: So it's still sitting in the cupboard...annoying me by falling over every time I get something out.
  • minnie2
    So a physio appointment at 1pm may have scuppered my plans to finish one room totally today .however just started tackling the dreaded bookcase again in son's room.my hubby has abandoned me half way through to have a bath!!!!! There is a big get rid on the floor but the bookcase doesnt seem to look much better.now got to the box of scraps and random puzzle pieces......urghhh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure