PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,979
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Good morning, hugs and spoons to all that need/want them. Up early this morning, OH and I are intending a visit to a local NT property to enjoy the Autumn colours, need a shower and hairwash first (prefer to do hair later in day when arms and shoulders are more biddable:()

Life has been a bit fraught of late, 2 weeks today mother was admitted to hospital with what seems to be wandering gall stones! the staff were kind, but hospital is in special measures and struggling, my DSis packed all m's regular medication, but it was still Thursday night before they sorted out the paperwork and dispensed her own meds to her:eek: She came home on Wednesday, complete with a catheter and accouterments and is due back in this Wed to have the stones sorted. (will believe it when she is actually in a bed). Meanwhile central heating at her house decided to play up etc, etc.

I stayed for 3 days 2 nights and DSis has done the same at weekend, last night was first night on her own, so I didn't sleep very well again. We were pretty mad that a women in her 80's came home without being able to deal with the catheter etc (bad arthritis, limited movement and mobility), then she told me that she had refused to go to community hospital and told them she was going home, could have strangled her (well just for a millisecond) and read her the riot act for the future, if she does this when she is even more poorly it will take forever to get a care plan going.

I hope that this does not sound too mean of me, but all 4 siblings are still at work and I am crackered with now 3 medical conditions, pain, fatigue etc.

Yesterday I managed to make a new recipe GF loaf, it is dense and brick like, but tastes good, also a bolognaise bake for 2 meals and another mince base for the freezer, plus some apples, pears and blueberries morphed into a crumble for OH, today I am doing nothing other than vaccing up Miss Border Collie's hair and getting myself respectable looking (and mobile) for a day out:D:D

Stay warm, dry and well everyone.
    MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    candygirl wrote: »
    https://nursingnotes.co.uk/gabapentin-pregabalin-set-become-controlled-drugs/
    Not quite sure of the implications of this, for those of us on Lyrica or Gabapentin 😣If they stop my tablets, I will be almost immobile though 😣
    I'm replying to Candy's post first as i haven't read back yet . We had heard of the possible reclassification of both Lyrica and Gaba . It may not be a negative move as both those drugs have possibility but not probability of addiction . My dd already takes two controlled drugs and has done for a number of years with no problem .
    The important thing is the level of monitoring by GPs . In a good scenario the drugs and their effects both physically and mentally will be watched carefully . Some can't access that level of regular care and as no-one is assessing whether they are still appropriate or needed may become dependent without good cause .

Oh, thanks for the information about that you two. I hadn't read about that, I've only just been on Lyrica for about 2 months now. I felt a bit loopy at first so I can see why people might abuse it.
    Tink_04 wrote: »

A few pages back some people mentioned support groups and that they had not had a good experience with them, I'd just like to add in that not all are like that and I attended and excellent on for MS where we have coffee mornings, parties and days out etc! My daughter also benefits massively from the young Carers association which has changed her life a lot. I know some groups might not always be like this but I'd hate anyone to read the negative and be put off trying a support group!

A positive review of a support group.:) It sounds like that they helped you and your daughter a lot.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Morning!!

It's really windy here today! DD is poorly and off school so that has scuppered my plans of going out - trying to think of something good to do for tea now? Might just be a chilli from the freezer or soup?

My bathroom desperately needs cleaning so will see if I can tackle this later on as I'm not feeling like it this morning.

Nearly killed myself resucing the recycle bin and it's contents that had blown across the garden - nearly ended up on the ground with the bin on top of me! It's now secured round the side with a brick on top!

Sitting with a cuppa now!
    Living the simple life
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2017 at 1:57PM
    maddiemay wrote: »
    LW - thank you. (just typed a response and lost it to the ether:eek::eek:)

did a Baltic Cruise from Tilbury on Marco Polo and hoping to see the Fjords before too long (subject to RA treatment etc). Cruise and Maritime would not accept our booking when I was having tests for some heavy health stuff so our planned Norwegian Fjords cruise a couple of years ago could not happen.:(:( Now have diagnosis for that problem and more recently RA, so hopeful of feeling well enough and getting reasonably priced insurance, we may try again for the Spring:D
    The Marco Polo is one of the ships that's no good for wheelchair users; I gather it has a little ledge to go over to get into the cabins; when we first started looking at Norway there was one that we fancied on the Marco Polo but the booking agent told us I wouldn't cope, so we stuck with Magellan. :o
    It's interesting to note no fly cruises and I'm sure you've some lasting memories LW . Well done on the cards in advance , may I ask what a PDA is? I suspect it's something techie , useful things generally are .
    It stands for Personal Digital Assistant. It has an extensive diary facility (everything but everything goes in there as well as being written on the kitchen calendar), a task list section, it can cope with Word and Excel documents, there's a memo section, and an alarm clock. Mine is a Palm Tungsten E2; which I suspect is pretty much classed as an antique these days! :D The great thing is that if, for instance, i have a medical appointment, I can ask it to "cheep" at me however many minutes I choose in advance. And for things like annual payments - tv licence for instance - I can get a reminder days or weeks in advance if I wish.:o I'd be totally stuffed without it!
    ETA - I just found it listed on @mazon!!
    This is the same as mine: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palm-1045MLZ-Tungsten-E2/dp/B00098Q4OY/ref=sr_1_2/259-4029251-8905349?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506952558&sr=1-2&keywords=palm+-+tungsten+e2
    https://nursingnotes.co.uk/gabapentin-pregabalin-set-become-controlled-drugs/
    Not quite sure of the implications of this, for those of us on Lyrica or Gabapentin ��If they stop my tablets, I will be almost immobile though ��
    Don't panic!! (channelling Cpl Jones there).:D
    If your doctor says you need them, you'll still get them, you'll just have to sign the back of your prescription to say you've received a controlled drug, will be the only real difference. Oh, and they only issue a one-month supply at a time, whereas with the other meds they issue two months worth. At least, that's how it is with my morphine tablets. :o
    Fwiw they tried me on Gabapentin and it didn't suit me at all; I had awful side-effects, and am still, months and months later, not back to as good as I was before I took the stuff; like with so many things, though, it's "horses for courses" and if they suit you and make your life better, the change in status to a class C drug shouldn't be a problem.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks LW , I wasn't sure of the implications re controlled drugs.The Gabapentin knocks me out a bit, but takes a bit of the edge off the nerve pain , so i'm sticking with it for now 😑
    Huggles n healing vibes to all xxx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi everyone

I'm still here, not posting much but subscribe to the thread so I read all of your escapades/ tips/ strength and determination on a daily basis.

It's a while since I posted and some of you may remember I have m.e. and fibromyalgia. It's been getting worse in recent months - probably not helped by being a civil servant (yep me too) and being run ragged.

Anyway, a friend told me about https://www.infraredsaunaspa.co.uk which is the first of its kind in the UK. Basically imagine a little sauna for one with dry heat (perfectly acceptable to read a book in, wear your contact lenses, listen to music if you wish (I didn't), play on your phone (although why would you for heavens sake)). The pod has heated back, sides and floor so you have to wear a swimming costume/ bikini when you go in.

I sat on the bench and just relaxed. I did lift my arms and put them against the sides to allow the heat to penetrate my elbows and wrists. There are infrared lights in the pod that correlate to the type of treatment you require - I chose a violet light for fibro but may try more the red light which gets to the muscles more. I came out looking pink and a little perspired shall we say. There is a shower to cool down and rinse rather than lather up and froo froo yourself. It is basic in terms of no mirrors or hairdryers and this allows them to keep the price low. They had found mirrors meant that people were taking longer to come out which was impacting on appointment times.

At £10 for half an hour (that's the most you can have as any longer isn't good for your health apparently), I found this to be good value for money. I only paid a little over £8 due to a groupon voucher and discount because it was my first purchase. I plan on going again when they open their second shop nearer to where I live, as to be honest, this was a little hike to get there.

Its three days since I had it and I do feel less stiffer I know this will ease off but up to now, it's been a welcome spell of relief. For those in Liverpool, it may be worth giving a go.

Oh and btw, I hear that Lady Gaga swears by these - as she has recently talked about her fibromyalgia also. Oooh get me .... who knew I had the same taste. rotfl
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,708
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Whereabouts in Liverpool please CurlyTop? It's a no no for me at the moment as I have to cling film my leg before i shower (long story) but it does sound good. One of the things that I dislike about this time of year is that I get so cold. This sounds like an interesting way to warm up as well as having other benefits.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Liverpool please CurlyTop? It's a no no for me at the moment as I have to cling film my leg before i shower (long story) but it does sound good. One of the things that I dislike about this time of year is that I get so cold. This sounds like an interesting way to warm up as well as having other benefits.

Iove the sound of this too :D
    My chemist said that hydrotherapy is sometimes available on the NHS , so am gonna ask the doc, if n when I manage to get an appointment next 🙄
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks Polly , n hope you feel a bit better tomorrow ❤I've been using the perskindol n it's helping my knees a bit 😁
    You're wise to avoid watching the film if you're not up to it .
    Healing HUGGLES to all xx
    Thanks Candy not too bad now I just need to get the shopping tomorrow . Not exactly keen as the weather has been foul since last night . Hoping it will be better tomorrow .
    Glad the Perskindol is relieving the pain somewhat . It isn't heavy duty but I find it does make a difference .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    It's near Childwall Fiveways cranky which is out of town . If you know Queens drive you'd be heading that way . Quite a journey for you . Any progress on the leg? It's been a few weeks now so you must be bored silly by now .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport