Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Butterfliesarepretty
    • By Butterfliesarepretty 19th Nov 19, 2:14 PM
    • 1,949Posts
    • 2,002Thanks
    Butterfliesarepretty
    HMRC - Do They Know What They Are Doing?
    • 19th Nov 19, 2:14 PM
    HMRC - Do They Know What They Are Doing? 19th Nov 19 at 2:14 PM
    Hello,

I have not been on moneysaving for a while.
    Has anyone had any experience with paying tax back owed from previous years?

I have always worked full time up until July 2016 when I resigned from work with panic attacks and stress.
    At that time we moved house to Darwen in September and I started work again part time 25 hours a week for an agency.
    Since then I have paid zero tax as I have always worked part time and I am under the threshold. HMRC were notified by my employers at that time.

I have an online account for my tax and my national insurance record. And they were all paid up.

In June this year I received my tax calculation saying I owed tax of 1087.40 from 2016-2017.

In August I received a letter saying I needed to do a self assessment tax return so with all the p45 and p60s and payslips I followed the instructions and entered the figures required.
    It then showed that I had overpaid by 322 and this paid straight into my bank account.

As for the 1087.40, I received more letters saying they had adjusted the figure to 1096.00.
    So, I phoned in and spoke to someone who told me I owed it and that they would not check with the previous employer. Not very helpful. She promised to send me instructions on how to set up a payment plan and weeks later I still hadnt received them.

So I went to a local tax accountant and she spent an hour with me. She devised a spreadsheet and put in all the figures from the old payslips and p45 and p60 I provided her with from my previous employers (several agencies) and my now permanent part time employer.

She said that the agency I worked with from September 2016 had not taken tax off me and that it was their error but I would still have to pay this back.

This still confused me as from Jan-July I was taxed for working full time and from September 2016 worked 25 hours a week over five days. Since then I worked for other agencies part time and now since 2018 I have a permanent job working 3 days a week earning around 833 a month, not taxed.

Today I rang hmrc to set up a payment plan, they accepted a direct debit of 90 per month until Feb 2021 to pay off the owed tax and the extra 322. The lady said that when I get my next tax calculation letter that if it turns out what I am paying back is incorrect I will be refunded. Also interest is included as its going over 12 months, yet I was only notified in June.

I just dont get it. One of my friends paid a debt to hmrc straightaway and her tax accountant said hmrc do not have the right to claim unpaid tax when its the employers fault. She is still trying to get it back.

Anyone else any stories???
    Last edited by Butterfliesarepretty; 19-11-2019 at 2:17 PM.
    Mortgage Free 2016
    Work Part Time

Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 19th Nov 19, 3:05 PM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 19th Nov 19, 3:05 PM
    • 19th Nov 19, 3:05 PM
    This would be better posted on the tax forum - this is the welfare benefits forum.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 19th Nov 19, 3:20 PM
    • 2,785 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 19th Nov 19, 3:20 PM
    • 19th Nov 19, 3:20 PM
    Payment of the correct tax is your responsibility and no one else's.
    • Butterfliesarepretty
    • By Butterfliesarepretty 19th Nov 19, 3:33 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 2,002 Thanks
    Butterfliesarepretty
    • 19th Nov 19, 3:33 PM
    • 19th Nov 19, 3:33 PM
    Payment of the correct tax is your responsibility and no one else's.
    Originally posted by comeandgo

Yes and I quote that I have an online tax account which I check and it shows fully paid for 2016-2017 still - yet Im getting the letters.
    Mortgage Free 2016
    Work Part Time

• sheramber
    • By sheramber 19th Nov 19, 6:12 PM
    • 7,146 Posts
    • 5,407 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 19th Nov 19, 6:12 PM
    • 19th Nov 19, 6:12 PM
    She said that the agency I worked with from September 2016 had not taken tax off me and that it was their error but I would still have to pay this back.

Did that agency treat you as self employed?

Did you get payslips showing tax deducted from them or no tax deducted?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

717Posts Today

6,461Users online

Martin's Twitter