Areas of work to look for and 2nd ref issues

Been toying with the idea of changing jobs for the past 5 weeks.
Does anyone have any ideas of what jobs I should apply after 12 years in retail? All my previous job experiences have been customer facing roles - either face to face or in call centre. I do use computers outside work and, not much at work. Though guide those colleagues who aren't good with computers how to do things on them. I do have a car so able to go for more jobs than someone who relies on public transport.

One job I wanted to apply for needed a 2nd reference. Now this is my problem. The employers between my first job after graduation and my current employer (4.5 years) are no longer about as went into administration etc.. The professional reference I did use, is no longer with us. I cannot think of anyone else suitable. Any ideas

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There are always going to be opportunities for customer facing opportunities, they don't just stop at retail work, I did retail for 12 and a half years. After being made redundant I then moved into another similar position (customer facing role) in the council.

Your local council will always be looking for people to take on. A large amount of it will be customer facing roles - museums, libraries, housing offices, leisure centres...

As for references you can use your current position as one and a second reference could be if you're still in contact with those who ran the companies that have fallen into administration. Failing that, a personal reference is another option if you're really stuck - long as the reference is not related to you it's better than nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure