Who 'owns' the Company

Comments

• Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    HMRC would require evidence as to actual value of the shares upon transfer of ownership.

They are only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

HMRC don't usually get too excited unless the transfer value is > £1k, as that is when stamp duty then kicks in
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    castle96 wrote: »
    F transfers/alters the owners of (various %s) the shares, every year or so.
    How would the shares be 'valued'.

How are the %'s altered?
  • Aquamania
    F transfers/alters the owners of (various %s) the shares, every year or so.
    How would the shares be 'valued'.
    F cannot ? force D E to relinquish shares ? (but why did he gift them in the first place!)

F cannot do that.
    It's entirely up to the existing shareholders to decide what happens to their individual shareholding (if someone else is willing to take it on, and consistent with the M&A)

As I already said, the share is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    you can get documentation from Companies House - see what dividends if any are being paid or what the value of the company is - if it has assets and gets closed down, then D & E could receive a nice wedge.

I don't think you actually need to sign anything to be "given" shares, but the company should make you aware of this as there are tax implications.

You have't said WHY and HOW D&E are involved
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    D E are the step sons of F and step brothers of A B C
    they have not been told or given anything
    "tax implications" - what exactly

last year A and C owned 50% each
  • Aquamania
    I had initially thought the OP was here asking a genuine question.
    As the thread has progressed, I am no longer sure of the OP's motives here.

I have considered whether to remove my posts or not, but have elected for them to remain. Perhaps they will assist someone who genuinely is interested.

But when I refer to the OP's initial question, and compare it to a latter post:
    So F is not a shareholder. Does he 'run' the Company, or have to seek the OK of all/majority of s/holders
    ... A B C WILL DO AS TOLD. ..

Then, I'm OUT!

I will not be posting in this thread again.

Have a good day everyone, and I hope that someone may come along later who may benefit from my time and effort I have apparently so far wasted here :(
  • DE_612183
    Good Point - is Castle A,B,C,D,E,F or G?

Transfers of shares must be logged with Companies House - so details will be there - as there may be powers or conditions with those shares.

If dividends are paid to shareholders, then there are tax implications as this is income.

Find out if the the company has an accountant - if YOU are one of the shareholders you should be able to get more info.

Failing that - why not just ask F - what the F is going on
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Aquamania wrote: »
    I had initially thought the OP was here asking a genuine question.
    As the thread has progressed, I am no longer sure of the OP's motives here.

I have considered whether to remove my posts or not, but have elected for them to remain. Perhaps they will assist someone who genuinely is interested.

But when I refer to the OP's initial question, and compare it to a latter post:

Then, I'm OUT!

I will not be posting in this thread again.

Have a good day everyone, and I hope that someone may come along later who may benefit from my time and effort I have apparently so far wasted here :(

Sorry, can't see what I have done wrong. Q and circumstances are genuine. I am father of D E IF that makes any difference. Just looking out for them
  • DE_612183
    It does - may have been helpful to say that up front.

As shareholders they should get info from companies house to see whats happening with "their" company.

If dividends are not being paid I can't see the reason to move shareholdings around - and anyway F shouldn't be doing that as they are NOT his shares to play with.

If I was D / E I'd get info from Co House then speak to F and find out his motives - perhaps he just likes playing God and this was done to pi$$ of ABC.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,238 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    D E are the step sons of F and step brothers of A B C
    they have not been told or given anything
    "tax implications" - what exactly

last year A and C owned 50% each
    If what you say is true, it is not in the best interests of any of the current shareholders to allow F to continue to be involved with the company. The shareholdings could be diluted into alphabet soup if he's left in control. A vote to have him removed as director ought to be unanimous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure