Netflix - The way it works

From what I understand, I can subscribe to the premium version of Netflix via my VM V6 box. VM will then bill me on my current VM DD.
My confusion lies with how Netflix identify the 4 allowable devices that can use the service.
Do all devices use the same username / password or different ones. Can you use 7 different devices but only 4 at any one time. If you use a laptop or phone away from home, how is identified as a device registered to my house. If it is not, what is to stop me letting a son at a different address use my service.

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    caveman38 wrote: »
    what is to stop me letting a son at a different address use my service.

Nothing, I don't think. We do this - my son and his girlfriend have Netflix which we watch at our house, in return we gave them the password for our Amazon account so they can watch that at their house. Everyone's a winner :-)
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Currently you can access Netflix on any device, from anywhere (subject possibly to some restrictions on certain countries) as long as you know the login details. So password sharing is rife.

As per the link above they might try and do something about it. But with current technology I'm not sure how. Restricting accounts to one IP address would mean people could no longer access content away from home, which would alienate many users. Restricting access to a limited number of specified devices would likewise be unpopular with genuine households who want to access content on multiple phones, tablets, laptops, PC's, TV's etc.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Are you sure VM will bill you and not Netflix themselves ?

Anyway , whichever way its billed, it works the same.

Access is granted via username (usually your email address) and password.
    Any device that connects and starts to watch, using those credentials, uses one of your "allowed devices"

You can install it on as many devices as you want, but only 4 (or whatever you pay for) devices will be allowed to watch at the same time.
  • caveman38 wrote: »
    From what I understand, I can subscribe to the premium version of Netflix via my VM V6 box. VM will then bill me on my current VM DD.
    My confusion lies with how Netflix identify the 4 allowable devices that can use the service.
    Do all devices use the same username / password or different ones. Can you use 7 different devices but only 4 at any one time. If you use a laptop or phone away from home, how is identified as a device registered to my house. If it is not, what is to stop me letting a son at a different address use my service.

You use the same username and password. You can use as many devices as you wish and the only problem will be if Netflix is playing on the 4 devices and someone try to get on a 5th device it would probably stop you logging in.

I am breaking the rules as I have people outside my household and friends using it but this has been going on for 6 years and Netflix haven't got around to telling me off.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    You can still log in and browse, it just blocks you from playing anything
  • caveman38
    caveman38 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thanks all for the info.

Another question. As a VM customer with 100 MB BB, streaming shouldn't be an issue, but. Does the quality vary, can it be improved etc. depending on device. Are there dedicated apps. eg. KODI Netflix app on say a laptop. Would that be better or worse than say the app on my TV. Or is the quality the same on all devices (assuming HD capable)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    As I recall, you can set up multiple "users" within your Netflix account. However only one user can be active on any device at a time ... e.g. you can't have caveman38 watching on the VM box and also on a laptop at the same time. You CAN though have both caveman38 and caveman39 watching at the same time on different devices.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You login to the netflix app with account and password, that's true for all platforms. You can use the account on any number of devices.

If you pay for 4 devices - you can stream on 4 simultaneously, if you try to stream from a 5th device it will prompt you that there are already 4 active streams on your account and will list the 4 active devices with locations.
    Nothing, I don't think. We do this - my son and his girlfriend have Netflix which we watch at our house, in return we gave them the password for our Amazon account so they can watch that at their house. Everyone's a winner :-)
    You are technically breaking the T&C on both services. Not that they are doing anything about it, but still. It's mostly due to how hard it is to establish/proof the account sharing and fallout of getting it wrong. They know that if someone is willing to account share, they are probably willing to download the content from torrents, so they are not getting their money regardless.

I don't know about Amazon T&C as I haven't read them, but for Netflix it's only legal to share the account within the household (this includes students using parents account, while living away from home)
    DoaM wrote: »
    As I recall, you can set up multiple "users" within your Netflix account. However only one user can be active on any device at a time ... e.g. you can't have caveman38 watching on the VM box and also on a laptop at the same time. You CAN though have both caveman38 and caveman39 watching at the same time on different devices.
    Wrong, you can watch with "caveman38" on as many devices as you are paying for (just double checked). The different users are for keeping track of progress, watch lists etc. individually, not for multiple devices.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    sal_III wrote: »
    Wrong, you can watch with "caveman38" on as many devices as you are paying for (just double checked). The different users are for keeping track of progress, watch lists etc. individually, not for multiple devices.

Thanks - I wasn't sure about that bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport