Worcester boiler guarantee

2»

Comments

• adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    jefaz07 wrote: »
    I am not being accusatory. I’m simply asking and stating what it would seem like to the manufacturer. That you’re now doing this as you have an issue. Im also saying if they want to get out of the warranty it’s now very easily done.

Fair enough. However, as it stands I haven’t had it serviced so surely they can use that to get out of it? I want to get a service because it is the right thing to do, regardless of whether it was prompted by a fault or not.
  • jefaz07
    jefaz07 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    They can, unless you have a nice heating engineer ����
  • When I register a boiler on behalf of the customer the manufacturer will register this with gas safe automatically who will send you a building compliance certificate, did you get this certificate ? I don't know if WB do this because I don't fit them, I would phone gas safe & check if the boiler has been registered, you could also look at the benchmark details in your book & check your installer is gas safe registered when you phone them.
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    What kind of problems are you experiencing?

To forget to have it serviced doesn't seem unreasonable to me. A boiler should work for many years. I would suggest you have a valid claim against the manufacturer even without it being serviced.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • adonis10
    missile wrote: »

To forget to have it serviced doesn't seem unreasonable to me. A boiler should work for many years. I would suggest you have a valid claim against the manufacturer even without it being serviced.

Over the weekend the pressure started rising to above 2 and actually tipped into the red on Sunday. Also, when we turn the heating on it fires and stays on for a few mins and turns off and repeatedly does this so takes an age to warm the house (40 mins rather than 10-15). None of our behaviours or settings have changed so I feel there must be a fault.

Checked with WB and the guarantee is in place (plumber registered it) and we have a service record so should be fine. WB engineer coming tomorrow.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

You only ever have a "claim" against the manufacturer, if you abide by the T&Cs of their warranty, or if you'd purchase the boiler directly from them yourself and you would exercise your statutory consumer rights.
  • missile
    edited 19 November 2019 at 11:22AM
    neilmcl wrote: »
    You only ever have a "claim" against the manufacturer, if you abide by the T&Cs of their warranty, or if you'd purchase the boiler directly from them yourself and you would exercise your statutory consumer rights.

I don't agree. As I understand the consumer rights act a product must be fit for purpose. If WB did not honour guarantee, I would take whomever I purchased the boiler from (WB?) to county court, where it would be up to the judge to decide whether the terms of their guarantee were fair.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/10/enacted
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't agree. Under the sale of goods act a product must be fit for purpose. If WB did not honour guarantee, I would take whomever I purchased the boiler from (WB?) to small claims court, where it would be up to the judge to decide whether the terms of their guarantee were fair.
    I'm sorry but you're wrong.

Firstly, SOGA has long been replaced, for the most part, by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Second, the OP has no contract with the manufacturer and therefore they have no legal obligation to him under consumer law. The only obligation the manufacturer have is within the terms of their warranty and it's entirely reasonable to expect the user to abide by such terms such as regular servicing in accordance with the manufacturer recommendations.
  • adonis10
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you're wrong.

Firstly, SOGA has long been replaced, for the most part, by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Second, the OP has no contract with the manufacturer and therefore they have no legal obligation to him under consumer law. The only obligation the manufacturer have is within the terms of their warranty and it's entirely reasonable to expect the user to abide by such terms such as regular servicing in accordance with the manufacturer recommendations.[/QUOTE]

The service record has been located and as such I have complied with the terms so the guarantee should be in place.
  • missile
    Thanks for correcting me. I have revised my post with a link to the correct legislation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport