Sky: Wife leaving and me rejoining?

Hi,

I wonder if we could get some thoughts/advice from users here before getting in touch with sky directly, please.

We have sky+Hd in our living room and a sky+ box (on freeview) in another room with my wife having the contract under her name. We are out of contract, so no obligation to continue.

We’d like to get sky q, but I hear from our local tv store that existing users are not being installed until the new year. In the past, we got the local shop to install and this made things more more quickly and we got a good neat installation, but the shop tells us that all installations are now carried out by sky. Also, we’re not sure that sky would give us the Black Friday deals that are currently running.

So, to pre-empt sky saying ‘no’ to matching current ‘new customer’ deals or not being able to install this side of Christmas, I was going to try this:

My wife cancels sky and I take up a new contract. We have done this before (quite a few years ago), but I have been told (again, from the local tv shop) that sky won’t let you do this anymore. Has anybody tried this recently (we are married with the same surname, but could use a different bank account).

Any thought greatly appreciated!

Comments

• spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When I called Sky to cancel, their first retention offer was from £37 down to £28. I said no thanks, a day or so later another email offer came in for £22 but on an 18 month contract. I've declined this as determined to leave but it does suggest that cancelling might get you a decent offer without having to completely cancel and start again, which presumably you'd need a new bank account too? (sky aren't stupid afterall!)

Some people tell you they negotiated a mega deal like full sports/movies/hd for £10 a month.... I've no idea how they manage that, probably a got the gift of the gab I suppose :D

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport