Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mickpeasoup
    • By Mickpeasoup 15th Nov 19, 11:21 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Mickpeasoup
    Shop refusing to refund
    • 15th Nov 19, 11:21 PM
    Shop refusing to refund 15th Nov 19 at 11:21 PM
    I purchased a brand new Air Rifle from a shop yesterday, but upon using it I notice there's an intermittent leak. It's faulty.

I paid 180 for this in addition to some pellets at 10, subtotal 190.

I paid with my Vanquis Card.

Please can somebody tell me if there's any recourse for a refund for just the Air Rifle as pellets are fine, and I can use these in another airgun.

What is the usual process to initiate a refund, and what is the likelihood of me receiving one?

Do I have to drop the airgun back off at the shop?

Many thanks in advance as always.
Page 2
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 17th Nov 19, 9:35 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Could I just ask exactly what tests you've done to determine the fault with the rifle? Are you sure it isn't the pellets? You do say it is intermittent and that could easily indicate nicks, cracks or holes in some of the pellets.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 17th Nov 19, 9:43 PM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 2,365 Thanks
    Ben8282
    I purchased a brand new Air Rifle from a shop yesterday, but upon using it I notice there's an intermittent leak. It's faulty..
    Originally posted by Mickpeasoup
    I have to admit to not being familiar with air rifles but what exactly is an intermittent leak in this context? What is leaking?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 17-11-2019 at 9:51 PM.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Nov 19, 9:59 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 4,088 Thanks
    Robisere
    An air rifle works by compressed air. The air is compressed when the rifle is "broken" by levering it open to insert a pellet, which is a conical shaped piece of what was once lead, may now be some other material. (I have not used one for 60 years) So the rifle is levered open, a pellet is inserted into the 'chamber' (bottom of barrel) and the rifle is levered to close, which is the pumping action that creates a charge of compressed air that propels the pellet. If there are cracks or nicks in the pellet, it should make no difference to retaining the charge of air, although a damaged pellet will not fly true to aim. Any leak is therefore from the body of the air chamber in the butt of the rifle.

OP: stop prevaricating, take it back to the shop accompanied by a witness who remembers words spoken. Ask politely for your money back and go find another elsewhere, because if you are telling the whole truth here, this shop and this retailer are untrustworthy. If you are not telling the whole truth here, I don't expect you back on this Thread.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 19th Nov 19, 2:59 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    2e0arr
    try going to the shop again ask for a refund . if they say no, call your debit/credit card issuer from the shop and state you wish to initiate a chargeback or section 75 claim and state you are leaving the goods at the shop. Oonce did this at web systems in nottingham when they said they do not give refunds. the visa bloke spoke to the guy behind the counter and web systems gave me a refund on the spot. take a picture of the goods you leave at the shop if the card issuer tells you to leave them there.
    • pops07
    • By pops07 19th Nov 19, 7:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pops07
    Thank you for the replies.

I phoned the shop to ask if I can return this for a refund as it's defective, and their response was "no".

The shop owner or employee said it left the shop in new condition & tested, however, I had no chance to test it in there for obvious reasons.

Where do I go from here, please?

Do I return it to the shop & use threats, call Vanquis, then return it, or call Vanquis & keep it?
    Originally posted by Mickpeasoup
    They have to refund you, unless they can prove without a doubt that you damaged the gun, failing this just do a chargeback.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 20th Nov 19, 7:22 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Wait until there are other customers present in the shop, the more the better, then go in and vocally have a "meaningful discussion" about shop's attitude and policy etc.

Like - "I've just paid 180 quid for this new rifle and it developed a fault within a day or so - and you are unwilling to honour a basic guarantee" ........etc., etc.

They won't like potential buyers listening to this stuff !!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

6,706Users online

Martin's Twitter