Vitamin D side effects?

Options
Hi everyone,
Has anyone else had odd side effects from taking Vitamin D supplements?
I've been reading about the recommendations for this and gave it a go. On the plus side, I am sleeping better though a bit groggy in the morning; on the other side, I am noticing that I am...'scatty' is a good word; for instance I run courses in my job and left a bit out of one; I don't seem to have my razor-sharp mind any more:D. Of course it could be just coincidence.
I used to get something similar while I was in the menopause but that's all over now so ... Vitamin D, what do you think?
Never look for comfort food in a macrobiotic restaurant

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    I've heard of other side effects due to lack of calcium for the vitamin D to work with (I can't remember the exact mechanism) but I don't recall seeing grogginess as a possible side effect. My own experience taking it was the exact opposite of yours - I was clear-headed in winter for the first time I could recall in my adult life!

What's the dosage of your supplement?
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the plus side, I am sleeping better though a bit groggy in the morning

That's interesting. Having been on 1000 iu vitamin D tabs for the past month or so, I've been very groggy in the mornings. Thought it was due to the gloomy weather, but perhaps as you say it's the vit D. What dose are you taking? I'm as scatty as usual, so can't comment on that :D
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I take Adcal-D3 600mg calcium and 400 I U Vit D twice a day for the last 4 years.

Never been groggy in the mornings actually I am a morning person
  • Erinome
    Erinome Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Could it be that you're naturally not a morning person, and sleeping for a long time causes you grogginess?

Quoting from a book on nutrition:

Vitamin D is a fat soluble Vitamin (unlike, for example water soluble B vitamins, which get excreted in the urine). As such it is stored in the liver. Excess causes too much calcium to be absorbed, leading to kidney damage.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Erinome wrote: »
    Could it be that you're naturally not a morning person, and sleeping for a long time causes you grogginess?

Quoting from a book on nutrition:

Vitamin D is a fat soluble Vitamin (unlike, for example water soluble B vitamins, which get excreted in the urine). As such it is stored in the liver. Excess causes too much calcium to be absorbed, leading to kidney damage.

I have osteoporosis and was told to take vitamin k2 with d3 (the d3 in a capsule form) to assist the d going to the bones and not causing mischief as you mentioned.

I have nicked the following info from the Betteryou website:-

Vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 ensure that calcium is absorbed easily and reaches the bone mass, while preventing arterial calcification. Helping to keep your heart and bones healthy. Separately, K2 regulates normal blood clotting, whilst D3 supports a healthy immune system and supports muscle function.

Obviously each one of us must check things out in respect of health conditions and medication.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • nosuperwoman
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am taking 2200iu. I will look again at the calcium issue.
    And yes! I am not a morning person! It could be that I am just sleeping more deeply ��
    It's not the first time I have had an anomalous (weird) reaction to a supplement: I tried Spirulina in the 90's and it ...what was it Terry Pratchett wrote ...'turned the privy into a ...' let's just say it was a hard time!
    And if I take something with added zinc I get big painful zits on my nose!
    Never look for comfort food in a macrobiotic restaurant

• Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The doctor put me on Vitamin D3 1000iu, it was like night and day, my brain fog cleared 180 degrees.
    For what its worth: my Vitamin D3 is plant based.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 January 2020 at 10:24PM
    Options
    haimen wrote: »
    These are some Vitamin D Side Effects

Muscle weakness.
    Confusion or disorientation
    Bone pain
    Extreme thirst

These are side effects from megadosing Vitamin D without accounting for calcium or Vitamin K2. Ordinary doses (or even double or triple ordinary tablets) should not result in these symptoms.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It may be that yiur food diet is already providing all the vitamin D yiu need and yiurmliver can,t process the surplus, althigh apparently many people take a supplement in winter when they can,t spend so much time out in natural daylight.

Why not stop taking it for a m8nth which should I imagine give your liver time to process the difference.

A blood test at your GP would probably then tell whether you were Vit D deficient but getting one may be easier said than done these days!
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    These are side effects from megadosing Vitamin D without accounting for calcium or Vitamin K2. Ordinary doses (or even double or triple ordinary tablets) should not result in these symptoms.

What is classed as a mega dose? My doc has me taking 2 x 4000iu but only once a week for 7 weeks, after that I am supposed to take a lower dose on a daily basis, nothing was said about calcium or Vit K?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport