V2H and V2G

JKenH
JKenH Posts: 4,790 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 20 November 2019 at 10:07AM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Inspired by a post from ASavvyBuyer listing a V2H charger (link below) on the domestic battery thread I thought it might be useful to have a separate thread for V2H as this technology now looks as though it is taking off.
https://wallbox.com/en_uk/quasar-dc-charger

I have expanded the scope of the thread to discuss V2G as well as V2H as discussion was naturally extending to V2G.
Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)

Comments

• JKenH
    While looking for V2H chargers I came across this V2H device.

http://setec-power.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=15&id=24
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • JKenH
    An article on V2H in Australia.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/nissan-australia-touts-leaf-v2h-capabilities-disses-tesla-battery-project/

Nissan Australia’s Manager of Electrification and Mobility Ben Warren said the new LEAF already incorporates Vehicle-to-Home (V2H) capability. Demo models of V2H charging boxes are already on the way to Australia, and after about six months of testing, the feature should be made available to Nissan customers. “The vehicle we see today is capable from the factory right now – it is future-proofed for not only the EV world but also the future energy ecosystem,” says Warren.

I am now worried that having just bought a 2017 Leaf the V2H technology might only be compatible with the new Leaf model.
  • JKenH
    A somewhat negative take on V2G and V2H from a year ago.

https://thedriven.io/2018/10/19/v2g-whats-the-state-of-play-with-vehicle-to-grid-vehicle-to-home-technology/

V2G (vehicle to grid) and V2H (vehicle to home) are potentially game changing technologies that are still in the very early stages of development. So the initial answer for those who know a bit about them, and are wanting to implement them now, is ‘not there yet – and except for limited V2H roll-outs, may never happen’.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    As someone who is thinking of buying an electric car in the not-too-distant future, I can't think why I would even want a V2H system.

If I buy an EV, I want to be able to arrive home and plug the vehicle in, safe in the knowledge that when I want to go somewhere, the vehicle will be fully charged.

What I don't want to find is that my energy company was a bit short of power that evening, and they have sucked half the charge out of my car. So I don't now have enough charge to go where I want to.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Ectophile wrote: »
    What I don't want to find is that my energy company was a bit short of power that evening, and they have sucked half the charge out of my car.
    I believe you'll find that scenario would be an example of V2G.

In V2H, you'd plug the car in at dusk and use it to power your lights etc until bedtime. Then it would recharge itself at offpeak rates and be restored to full range by dawn.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    EricMears wrote: »
    I believe you'll find that scenario would be an example of V2G.

In V2H, you'd plug the car in at dusk and use it to power your lights etc until bedtime. Then it would recharge itself at offpeak rates and be restored to full range by dawn.
    It’s basically a 24kWh domestic battery on wheels.:cool:

Octopus Go may be the ideal tariff for you when you get the Leaf. 4 hours of charging @ 7kWh/hour is just enough to replenish it from empty to fully charged. You could also use the 4 hours for heating your HW cylinders plus some early morning delayed laundry cycles.

Setting the heat pumps to take advantage of the last hour of off peak might work out beneficially as they’re quite frugal when just maintaining a temperature.

Edit: just seen that I’ve quoted Eric instead of Ken!
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Even with the V2G on the OVO trial, my understanding is that you tell the system when you need the car to be ready and it ensures there's enough charge for you by that time.
    There shouldn't be a scenario where you find you don't have enough charge to use the car. Unless of course you forget to state when you need the car again.
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    EVandPV wrote: »
    Even with the V2G on the OVO trial, my understanding is that you tell the system when you need the car to be ready and it ensures there's enough charge for you by that time.
    There shouldn't be a scenario where you find you don't have enough charge to use the car. Unless of course you forget to state when you need the car again.

Yes, plus you can use the 'boost' button apparently to charge during the 4-8pm slot, and whilst they'd like the car plugged in, you could of course simply not plug it in when you get home if you are popping back out in that time slot and want all the remaining range.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

The way I see it is V2H offers a solution that directly suits me (energy provision/storage etc) and has the by-product of a tangible positive impact on the grid, energy provision & grid services as a whole (through reducing peak demand etc) for which I would be willing to pay within the overall case for investing in an EV ... whereas ... V2G offers a solution in which the tangible benefits are heavily weighted towards the energy provision sector (reduced/zero capital outlay & depreciation for storage provision) which would need a substantial financial sweetener to convince me otherwise at the current cost and development stage of batteries ...

For the foreseeable future the position looks to be ... V2H - maybe, V2G - keep it at least a barge pole length away from the pockets, but watch-out for cost/benefit developments!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 November 2019 at 4:04PM
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

The way I see it is V2H offers a solution that directly suits me (energy provision/storage etc) and has the by-product of a tangible positive impact on the grid, energy provision & grid services as a whole (through reducing peak demand etc) for which I would be willing to pay within the overall case for investing in an EV ... whereas ... V2G offers a solution in which the tangible benefits are heavily weighted towards the energy provision sector (reduced/zero capital outlay & depreciation for storage provision) which would need a substantial financial sweetener to convince me otherwise at the current cost and development stage of batteries ...

For the foreseeable future the position looks to be ... V2H - maybe, V2G - keep it at least a barge pole length away from the pockets, but watch-out for cost/benefit developments!

HTH
    Z

I would also be concerned about how much of a hammering the battery might take under V2G, especially while it's still at the trial stage and the number of participants is low.
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback