Who would you rather hire

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    fewgroats wrote: »
    I think the posters above might be sugar coating it. The one at uni is more likely to get a job (but it would depend on how long they stay unemployed). The one who volunteers gets the stress from volunteering and stress from Job Centre Plus that they haven't got a real job.

The OP was talking about someone who’s got the degree and volunteers.

I think in lots of instances the truthful answer to the OP’s question is that you’d choose the candidate you think you can tolerate sharing an office with five days a week for the foreseeable future.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'd take the person best suited to the job. Making a decision based on such limited information would be daft.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Who would you rather hire, someone who goes to uni, gets a first but does nothing else or someone who goes to uni, gets a 2:1 (lower) and volunteers, gets involved and is working part time?

You surely mean who would get to the next stage of recruitment?
  • I love an underdog with drive!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 November 2019 at 6:57PM
    Marcon wrote: »
    I'd take the person best suited to the job. Making a decision based on such limited information would be daft.

+1

I'd take the person who interviewed the best and had the best cultural fit for the company.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The question is unanswerable given the limited amount of information you provide.

Employers don't just take people on, on the basis that you set out.

There may be jobs where a 1st Class is required - research posts R&D etc.

But there may be other roles where a different approach is needed.

In reality it wont be as cut and dried as you identify. The employer will (normally) draw up a job specification along with a person specification. You would need to demonstrate your aptitude for the job and to explain how your experience fits the person specification.

Employers may also use other assessment techniques to determine whether a person is suitable for the role such as aptitude tests, role play, presentations etc etc.

So really, your question is pointless as your scenario would never occur.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I love an underdog with drive!

It's worked for my eldest son very well! He graduated from a bottom of the league tables university with less than a first in a so called fluff subject. He has a strong history of volunteer roles, part time and summer jobs..he is not from a privileged or private school background, he's just a blooming hard worker.

For his first graduate role, he beat those with Firsts from much better universities and subjects after a very tough and lengthy recruitment process because he had (through his volunteer experience) the required soft skills needed for the job even though on the face of it, none of his past experience was relevant (plus he came out top in their aptitude and personality tests). His latest role his current employer approached him for once they heard he was being made redundant (his whole department was dissolved) after just missing out on him when he left his graduate role for pastures new. This is in finance, he studied Film and TV production!

I think what has made the difference for him is that he has drive, he is a very quick learner, he is personable, he has the ability to think outside of the box and to be flexible and despite what his degree classification says, is very knowledgeable.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • I would take that information into account, but I would want to know the reasoning behind why one person did nothing but degree work and why the other one worked and volunteered.

Maybe the person that got a first lived at home, so did not need to earn money, and was encouraged by parents to give their all to their work, or it could be that they were helping care for someone within the family at the same time?

Maybe the person that was volunteering and got a lower degree as well as a part time job used that money to finance smoking or drinking or some nefarious habit?

Nothing is ever quite that simple.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    motorguy wrote: »
    +1

I'd take the person who interviewed the best and had the best cultural fit for the company.

Make that +2. A degree isn't worth the paper it's written on if the person doesn't fit.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Based on those 2 options alone and nothing else:

Someone who goes to uni, gets a 2:1 (lower) and volunteers, gets involved and is working part time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure